It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A couple amazing live performances from two ladies who left us WAY too soon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2024 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I really like these live performances I'm sharing here for many reasons. Both these women were talented beyond belief, both members of the terrible 27 club.

I love Janis so much because she just went out there and did her thing and looked like she was having a blast doing it. A sound and voice many have tried to copy and come up woefully short. Some people don't understand the magic in her voice and performances but she was truly one of the best of the best and even though we all know Karen is my favorite, Janis is a close second. She was a real presence on stage.

I love this performance of Piece of My Heart

This is her at Woodstock and I must say I agree wholeheartedly with her comments at the beginning. Honestly guys if there was one person I could meet, past or present it would probably be Janis. I have a feeling we would be good friends hehehehehe. Music is for groovin' man......

Just her smile....is everything.

A lot of people I feel did not realize what an outstanding talent Amy was. Yeah, her songs were catchy but more than that, her voice is truly amazing and these live acoustic performances, particularly Valerie really showcase that. Unfortunately there are very few good recordings of Amy live, but these are my favorites and really show how amazing her voice was.

And this performance of Back to Black is effortless and awesome

It's just so sad that so many great talents leave us so young.
edit on 17-9-2024 by Shoshanna because: Cant spell

posted on Sep, 17 2024 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Janis was great. What a voice! I haven't heard many Amy Winehouse tunes. I have music playlists that cycle when I'm cleaning or doing chores around the house. I have a folder of female singers and girl groups. Here's a few faves. Hope you like 'em.

The Cowboy Junkies, with Margo Timmons singing

Concrete Blond, with Johnette Napiltano singing. What a powerful voice!

Camera Obscura, with Tracyanne Campbell
(This song is very, very sad!)

And of course, Delores!

posted on Sep, 17 2024 @ 08:03 PM
link   
At the risk of dating myself, I've always felt the death of Patsy Cline was a great loss to all who love music. I'd link 'I Go Out Walking After Midnight' but I suck at posting YT vids.lol

posted on Sep, 17 2024 @ 08:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: nugget1
At the risk of dating myself, I've always felt the death of Patsy Cline was a great loss to all who love music. I'd link 'I Go Out Walking After Midnight' but I suck at posting YT vids.lol

I'm an old grouch, and I don't care! I love Patsy. I have these 2 songs on my playlist:

posted on Sep, 17 2024 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Shoshanna

posted on Sep, 17 2024 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger2

Lets not 4get Loretta Lynn.....Joplin and Patsy were great too

Few others

posted on Sep, 17 2024 @ 09:23 PM
link   

My wife can sing like Janice. She sings opera, too, and teaches.

You are right, though, there seems to be a certain lifestyle that takes greats before their time.

I don't think it is necessary, though, for them. It's usually a (bad) choice, where they loose themselves before we loose them. Thank God my wife has made the right choices.

posted on Sep, 17 2024 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: tarantulabite1

Have you heard Lucinda Williams?

posted on Sep, 17 2024 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger2

YES..... def on playlist

Have you heard any of these? .....some covers but done well

edit on 17-9-2024 by tarantulabite1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2024 @ 12:09 AM
link   
a reply to: tarantulabite1

I haven't heard those. Thanks for posting! Their cover of 'Come On, Let's Go' is great.

Here's a couple more. 'Actually' by Rozi Plain...this song has a cool melody.

Of course we can't forget Debbie Harry:

Suddenly, some subtle entity, some cosmic energy brushed her like shadows.

When Dee Dee Ramone (bass player for the Ramones) recorded his solo album, he asked his wife Barbara to do the vocals on this song. It reminds me of an old 1960s classic girl group tune. The Ramones were big fans of the Ronettes and some of those old girl groups.

posted on Sep, 18 2024 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Ah, Janis. I saw her twice, once at the Monterey Pop and once in Golden Gate Park, exactly when is still a mystery to me.
Reading about her life I found that she had once gone out of her way to find the unmarked grave of old blues woman Bessie Smith, after whom she patterned much of her early style, and put up a nice grave stone for her.

When she was living with Joe McDonald of Country Joe and the Fish, he wrote a song for her called Janis.
Also, decades after her death, Jorma Kaukonen of the Airplane issued an album with him and her done on a home recorder at his house back before she became famous. I"ts called ''The Typewriter Tapes'' due to the sound of his wife typing in the background.

When she died it broke my heart.

posted on Sep, 18 2024 @ 01:32 AM
link   
a reply to: nugget1

Back in the day when my wife and I would travel, we would put on our Patsy Cline cassettes and play them all day long.

posted on Sep, 18 2024 @ 10:00 AM
link   

I would also add Sandy Denny, who i regard as the greatest female folk artist. She left us at the age of 31.

posted on Sep, 18 2024 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Janis Joplin was truly outstanding.
That video you posted always makes me laugh watching the German audience dancing with her on stage.

I've always found this particular performance breathtaking.
Apparently not long before she died......

posted on Sep, 18 2024 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: BingoMcGoof

Back in the day when my wife and I would travel, we would put on our Patsy Cline cassettes and play them all day long.

I'd blast Patsy whenever I was using my longarm quilting machine, along with a few other greats from the past, like Buddy Holly and Hank Williams Sr.

While not female, they left far too soon and like Patsy their end came in plane crashes.

posted on Sep, 18 2024 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Hank Williams. Thanks to him I finally got over my suburban disgust of country music. Once I understood. Thankfully, my musical sense would have been so stunted I don't know who I would be by now.. And then I found Bob Wills. OMG.

posted on Sep, 18 2024 @ 09:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: BingoMcGoof

Hank Williams. Thanks to him I finally got over my suburban disgust of country music. Once I understood. Thankfully, my musical sense would have been so stunted I don't know who I would be by now.. And then I found Bob Wills. OMG.

I wouldn't give a plug nickle for Hank Jr. I love his dad's music; Jr, not at all. Actually, I'm not a fan of modern country music; mu tastes are stuck if my youth.

I do like Don Williams, and had high hopes for liann Rhymes before she started doing her own thing. She reminds me of Cher when she totally changed her style....and not for the better, IMHO.

posted on Sep, 18 2024 @ 09:23 PM
link   

In 69 I had a job selling stereos and records in a department store. The older staff put me there because i was young. One of the sections in the records was country western. That's where I found Williams. There was also this guy on one recent albums that I thought was the ugliest guy I ever saw, had a a craggy face and a crew cut. Years later I heard him sing and was pissed at myself for never having bothered to listen to that album. It was George Jones. Zowee. What I had missed.

posted on Sep, 18 2024 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: BingoMcGoof

There was also this guy on one recent albums that I thought was the ugliest guy I ever saw, had a a craggy face and a crew cut. Years later I heard him sing and was pissed at myself for never having bothered to listen to that album. It was George Jones. Zowee.

That's funny!
I'm reminded of a new C&W singer that had the most wonderful voice on the radio and my former husband decided to buy his album.
When he saw the cover picture of Ray Charles he not only gave buying the album a hard pass, he'd turn the radio off if one of his songs was playing.
I still love Ray Charles' voice and his iconic songs!

posted on Sep, 18 2024 @ 10:41 PM
link   
a reply to: nugget1s

Ray Charles. oh man. You know how sometimes we try to think to ourselves who is our favorite singer ever? For me, when I listen to some one I think that that one is the best and other times that other one is the best, you know how that goes. 'But every time I heard Ray Charles I wonder how I could ever consider another. Slow love, fast jive, country, pop, jazz, he ranks so high in every category, he just spans it all.

join