It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Star Civilisation - Starforts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2024 @ 11:49 AM
link   

I cannot believe ive never heard of these until very recently.
Look at the size of these. There are towns built into some of them. Thats big. The work, getting the angles right, the distances, is literally just amazing

Elvas, Portugal

A 3 minute introductory video

Naarden Star Fort

Here is a link to a website STARFORTS.org
Here is a link to a Youtube account starforts dot org for videos of these astonishing creations.

This is insane building. There are a lot of these we've never known of until man took to the air.
Im excited to watch the videos tonight or tomorrow latest because these are absolutely stunning.

Ciudad-Estrella-Rocroi

We are amazing. The masonry work and the work in general on these is just phenomenal.

posted on Sep, 14 2024 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: SecretKnowledge2

Oh, my! You've just opened the biggest rabbit hole I've ever seen!!!

posted on Sep, 14 2024 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: SecretKnowledge2

This is insane building. There are a lot of these we've never known of until man took to the air.
Im excited to watch the videos tonight or tomorrow latest because these are absolutely stunning.

Sorry, no. They are well-known.

The point was to create a fortress.

Attacking infantry would come under fire from various angles if they tried to breach the wall.

posted on Sep, 14 2024 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Me too, I've never come across these.

Absolutely astonishing and so beautiful seen from above.

edit on 14/9/2024 by Encia22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2024 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Wonderful subject ! Thanks for making this thread.

I've been watching various "olde-worlde" vids for a little while now, still fascinated.

Tales Of The Olde World : Star Fort Theory

Lucius Aurelian : Old-World Island Enigma with Star Forts

My Lunch Break : Ancient Star Fort Cities

Way Back Whenever : Old World Amsterdam and Star Forts

So many hours of head shaking !

posted on Sep, 14 2024 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Ft Negley in Nashville was a Star Fort that was supposedly built for the Union Army in the Civil War. This does seem like a design from Europe.

posted on Sep, 15 2024 @ 12:33 AM
link   

the oldest oldest masonry star fort some call them Bastion Forts in the U.S, is Castillo de San Marcos in St. Augustine, Florida. the statue of liberty sits on old fort wood as its base which was one.

two quick wiki's

The Castillo is a masonry star fort made of a stone called coquina (Spanish for "small shells"), which consists of ancient shells that have bonded together to form a sedimentary rock similar to limestone. Native Americans from Spain's nearby missions did most of the labor, with additional skilled workers brought in from Havana, Cuba. The coquina was quarried from the 'King's Quarry' on Anastasia Island in what is today Anastasia State Park across Matanzas Bay from the Castillo, and ferried across to the construction site. Construction began on October 2, 1672 (351 years ago) and lasted twenty-three years, with completion in 1695.[17]
Castillo de San Marcos Structure

A bastion fort or trace italienne (a phrase derived from non-standard French, literally meaning 'Italian outline') is a fortification in a style that evolved during the early modern period of gunpowder when the cannon came to dominate the battlefield. It was first seen in the mid-fifteenth century in Italy. Some types, especially when combined with ravelins and other outworks, resembled the related star fort of the same era.
Bastion fort

from the Bastion Fort wiki

Bastion fortifications were further developed in the late fifteenth and early sixteenth centuries, primarily in response to the French invasion of the Italian peninsula. The French army was equipped with new cannon and bombards that were easily able to destroy traditional fortifications built in the Middle Ages. Star forts were employed by Michelangelo in the defensive earthworks of Florence, and refined in the sixteenth century by Baldassare Peruzzi and Vincenzo Scamozzi. The design spread out of Italy in the 1530s and 1540s.

edit on 15-9-2024 by BernnieJGato because: (no reason given)

Here is a list of star forts world wide
List of bastion forts
edit on 15-9-2024 by BernnieJGato because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2024 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Dutch has been covering them
www.youtube.com...@dutchsinse/search?query=fort

edit on 777Vam15America/ChicagoSun, 15 Sep 2024 01:15:13 -0500 by 777Vader because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2024 @ 04:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: BernnieJGato

the oldest oldest masonry star fort some call them Bastion Forts in the U.S, is Castillo de San Marcos in St. Augustine, Florida. the statue of liberty sits on old fort wood as its base which was one.

two quick wiki's

The Castillo is a masonry star fort made of a stone called coquina (Spanish for "small shells"), which consists of ancient shells that have bonded together to form a sedimentary rock similar to limestone. Native Americans from Spain's nearby missions did most of the labor, with additional skilled workers brought in from Havana, Cuba. The coquina was quarried from the 'King's Quarry' on Anastasia Island in what is today Anastasia State Park across Matanzas Bay from the Castillo, and ferried across to the construction site. Construction began on October 2, 1672 (351 years ago) and lasted twenty-three years, with completion in 1695.[17]

I live less than a mile from Castillo de San Marcos. Born and raised and resided in St. Augustine for 47 years. All one has to do is take one walk around the perimeter of the fort and you’ll appreciate why fortifications like that were so hard to breach when it was still in use as a military installation. Regardless of where you stand, you’re open to fire from multiple points along the perimeter. It’s a magnificent bit of Spanish architecture and is more or less THE reason that St. Augustine survived as long as it did. We just celebrated our 459th birthday a week ago on September 8th.

posted on Sep, 15 2024 @ 04:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: FloridaManMatty

originally posted by: BernnieJGato

two quick wiki's

I live less than a mile from Castillo de San Marcos. Born and raised and resided in St. Augustine for 47 years. All one has to do is take one walk around the perimeter of the fort and you’ll appreciate why fortifications like that were so hard to breach when it was still in use as a military installation. Regardless of where you stand, you’re open to fire from multiple points along the perimeter. It’s a magnificent bit of Spanish architecture and is more or less THE reason that St. Augustine survived as long as it did. We just celebrated our 459th birthday a week ago on September 8th.

posted on Sep, 15 2024 @ 04:20 AM
link   

I'm surprised you have only just found out about these, none the less, a good thread though.

Next up you should have a look at Krak des Chevaliers

That is my favourite castle bloody ever, even IS couldnt destroy it

posted on Sep, 15 2024 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Some internet users believe these were first used to divert water through. The geometry of the fort internals give a frequency to the water. Like cymatic patterns but produced differently.

The water would be imbued with beneficial properties is the belief.

I dunno

posted on Sep, 15 2024 @ 07:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Solvedit

originally posted by: SecretKnowledge2

Sorry, no. They are well-known.

The point was to create a fortress.

Attacking infantry would come under fire from various angles if they tried to breach the wall.

I know they've been known about, i did say that some were not known of until we took to the air.
I wasn't claiming they were all unheard of.

Anyhow they are indeed brilliant for repelling the enemy

posted on Sep, 15 2024 @ 07:04 AM
link   
a reply to: KnowItAllKnowNothin

Thanks.

You should have made a thread about them.

Spread the education of them.

Anyhow thanks for posting the links and videos.
Lot of material to dive into

edit on 15 9 2024 by SecretKnowledge2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2024 @ 07:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK

I'm surprised you have only just found out about these, none the less, a good thread though.

Next up you should have a look at Krak des Chevaliers

That is my favourite castle bloody ever, even IS couldnt destroy it

Mate i too am surprised ive only found out about them.

They are amazing! The work thats gone into them. Incredible. Some are built from the bedrock up.

Thanks for the link, im big into old castles. Might do a thread, but theres so many. Where would i start, couldnt possibly show them all. Still, there are some beautiful castles out there

posted on Sep, 15 2024 @ 08:51 AM
link   

OH wow. I never knew any of this. I knew of one star fort in The Netherlands but I never thought it was a thing that existed outside of there. I also didn't call it a star fort nor did I know that is what they were called. I never knew these were in other locations!

Now I have something to dig into today. Thank you!

posted on Sep, 15 2024 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Naarden was built as a fortified city it's a nice old township, there are more in the Netherlands like these for what I know all build to defend themselves hundreds of years ago , all those houses inside are modernized but still look old from the outside because of monumental legislation.

I'm working in the maintenance of the outside of these buildings, we my company actually paint the outside within the constraints of the old legislation, as of the inside and combining old looks like keeping the old wooden bars and stones visible but with newly plasters and paints

posted on Sep, 15 2024 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: 0bserver1

Wow thats fantastic.

You actually working on one? Brilliant, what great job for you.
From your link,

Bourtange Starfort

In the heart you see a neat spider web of nine streets looming around a cozy village square. For Bourtange is not a fortified town, but a fortified village, built at once, the dream of every urban planner. Where today you can perfectly experience how such a fortress worked in 1742. During a walk on the ramparts you will encounter everything: canals, gunpowder houses, cannons, officer houses, but also oxen-blooded sentries and secries (toileth breakfasts), hanging above the moat. The vast green land is still just as it used to be, but instead of the enemy you now see curious tourists approaching.

Im loving these places, amazing.
edit on 15 9 2024 by SecretKnowledge2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2024 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: 0bserver1

So Holland has more than 160 of these fortified cities.

Cold cities behind thick walls, fortified between the 15th and 18th centuries to ward off the enemy. The Netherlands has more than 160 of those fortified cities, often beautifully renovated. 70,000 ANWB members let know which ones they thought were the most beautiful. These ten fortified cities got a lot of voices and... you can take a beautiful walk.

Im already thinking about going to the Netherlands for a visit. Probably wont make it before Christmas but its a definite. Ive already shown this to me mates that go to ancient places here in Ireland. And they are all, like meself, amazed at these wondrous places.

posted on Sep, 17 2024 @ 05:27 AM
link   
It seems so , that I never knew myself lol , im more working on those within my region
Well ,if you love them sites then we have enough to visit.
I think the ones I found are the better ones, have fun if you're going there

top topics

join