It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. navy personnel from the USS Wasp abducted after disembarking in Izmir, Turkey

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 04:46 PM
link   
U.S. navy personnel from the USS Wasp abducted after disembarking in Izmir, Turkey

www.cbsnews.com...

Two U.S. Marines from the USS Wasp were attacked Monday during a port visit in Izmir, Turkey, according to a Navy spokesperson.

The Marines, part of the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit, were "on liberty" at the time of the incident and taken to a local hospital for evaluation as a precaution, said U.S. Navy Cmdr. Timothy Gorman, U.S. Sixth Fleet spokesperson. The Marines have since returned to their ship.

"Local Izmir police and the Naval Criminal Investigative Service are cooperating in an investigation of the incident," Gorman said. "No Marines have been detained by authorities and those involved are cooperating with investigators."

x.com...

See new posts
Conversation
George Papadopoulos
@GeorgePapa19
🚨🇺🇸🇹🇷 BREAKING:

The crowd begins to chant anti American slogans after the attack

edit on p000000309pm096 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 04:53 PM
link   
So it is getting like the old TV shows, sailors get in fights when out on leave. It was common in the old days, I have heard stories about that from old veterans I knew many years ago.

Nostalgic to me.
edit on 2-9-2024 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

Apparently they're safe & sound now, but it'll be interesting to learn more. Apparently 15 attackers detained.

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyInTheOintment

Yeah,

Apparently the Turkish police stopped the abduction.

But I'm hearing that the perpetrators were not Detained.

Some are saying that it was an attempt to put pressure on the Biden regime for something.

Interesting times...

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 05:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
So it is getting like the old TV shows, sailors get in fights when out on leave. It was common in the old days, I have heard stories about that from old veterans I knew many years ago.

Nostalgic to me.

Yeah I heard some wild stories from my father who served aboard the USS Wisconsin in the early 50s.

He was a French interpreter with the Shore Patrol when the ship traveled to France for a training cruise.

One particular story was they got a call about a bar fight between US sailors and French citizens.

When they got there 4 sailors beat up like 10 or 12 Frenchmen and there was thousands of US pennies all over the floor in the place.

My father was questioning the bar owner, he said the sailors had rolls of pennies in their fists during the fight and they were busting open and flying everywhere.

Turned out the fight started when the French didn't like the sailors being there and the sailors told them if it wasn't for the USA, they would be speaking German.

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: RazorV66

The old vets used to come visit my Uncle who with his wife had something to do with the VFW. I would listen to them talking about their stories of the service. Also heard a lot of stories from playing cards at the VFW, knew lots of people there and they were swapping stories quite a bit. The older guys from WW11 didn't talk about that kinds of stories, the ones not in the active war, stationed in other countries talked about that, so did sailors.

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I remember being told a story back in the late 70s, of a couple of young R.A.N. sailors on shore leave in New York.
They somehow ended up in the "Wrong" part of town, and while walking around, were being followed by a group of local black fellow brothers. Well, they thought that was it as the group approached them......
But, as soon as they heard the sailors talk, and knew their accents weren't North American, the mood changed, they were pals, and even got invited back to the locals home for dinner. They got them back to the ship too.

From all the movies etc we see of the USA, man, that is a dangerous place.....Even Saturday Night Fever had gang violence!!

Keep away from that place....its probably even worse now days!

edit on 2-9-2024 by gort69 because: booboo

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 07:10 PM
link   
My buddy who is in his 60s served in Germany in the Army. The US GIs got into it with some Turkish military guys. He said the Turks were crazy bad ass. The Turks got em all and held pistols to their heads. It wasn't good at all. No one got killed though, just embarrassed real bad.

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 09:22 PM
link   
when I was at incerlik for northern watch we were warned repeatedly to avoid interactions with the turkish police.

Those 15 will have a bad go of it once the spot light moves on.

top topics

join