It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chase Bank 'Glitch' Goes Viral

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 12:43 AM
link   
www.newsweek.com...

An apparent "glitch" at Chase Bank that allowed people to withdraw large amounts of money from their accounts without having the funds has gone viral on social media.

According to social media users, some people exploited a system error to withdraw money after depositing fake checks into their accounts or after applying for large loans at Chase Bank ATMs.

Chase has apparently rectified the issue, as some are now reporting that their accounts have massive negative balances or have had holds put on them.

So Chase screwed up with their end, but this just let's me know viral culture is Idiocracy in action.

This isn't "Ice bucket challenge" or even that one time you could exploit Doordash and order unlimited crap. Yet it's being approached like every other Gen Z/Millennial social media meme.

It's technical name is WIRE FRAUD. The federal prison and restitution kind.

Yet, people honestly thought it was "The Infinite Money Hack" and gave themselves thousands of dollars. And then true to the oblivious nature of internet filmed themselves showing off their ill-gotten gains and posted it.

Now, some are reporting the severe consequences of trying to take advantage of the fault.

Some showed that they were now in massive debt, with one man reporting that his account showed he owes about $40,000. Other videos showed Chase imposed seven-day holds on affected accounts.

Guess that's resolved. And let this serve as a warning for the next bank glitch money hack.

Just made me snicker a little that people were apparently lining the block to commit trending felonies.

Did it ever cross into anyone's mind that this would backfire into court? Or have previous non-fraud glitches like "The Night of Free Doordash" made people less likely to make a connection they are, in fact, ruining their lives.
edit on 2-9-2024 by Degradation33 because: Changed thread title

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 01:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Degradation33

People are just not thinking anymore! With all this technology their are glitches but with technology their are also advances!

Nice post!

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 01:17 AM
link   
I'M MISSING A FEW ASSETS MYSELF.

>:[

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 01:52 AM
link   

I went to a gas station and filled my car up for $5.80, because the pump was malfunctioning. I then took my Father's car over to that station and filled him up for a few dollars. My brother and girlfriend drove in right behind me and did the same for their cars.

Your post reminded me of that day. Thanks!

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Hey...it's all about 'today' and 'ME' now...are you forgetting?

'Tomorrow' and 'everyone else' no longer matters.

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 06:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Degradation33
Yet, people honestly thought it was "The Infinite Money Hack" and gave themselves thousands of dollars.

Life 101: There's no free money at a bank.

If you try they WILL get it back, along with fees/interest/charges.

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 07:12 AM
link   
TANSTAAFL

My father drilled this into our heads growing up.

Those idiots.

For those that don’t know what TANSTAAFL is: There Ain’t No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: WeMustCare

Last week I prepaid 20 dollars for fuel. When the pump didn't shut off, I clicked it off and went back in the station and gave them the 8 cents I went over.

When I got home and told my wife( who is the manager of said store) called me an idiot. She said the store is liable for the mistake. I said I may be an idiot, but an idiot with morals. Nothing is free and karma is a bitch. And that was over 8 damn cents.

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 07:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Kawrider9ish

$0.08 cents is worth $1,000 bucks (or more) for the satisfaction of knowing you did what is right!

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 08:34 AM
link   

So that explains it!

A lady wanted a short term loan from me. I said "Sure, but you have to give me a ride to [ ]"

We got there too late, it was closed, so we went to the ATM machine. I said "I have a low daily max for withdrawals, it would take days to get you the money."

She replied, "Just put a high number in and see what happens. All that can happen is a decline notice."

So I put in a high number, half of what she wanted. And it worked!

Then she said, "now do it again."

And it worked again! It sure saved us from having to make another trip.

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 08:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kawrider9ish

When I got home and told my wife( who is the manager of said store) called me an idiot. She said the store is liable for the mistake.

As manager, she didn't go full deer in the headlights over how many other people prepaid and got free gas? "Your meters and receipts are off by 8000 gallons" isn't a call you want from corporate...

Anyway good job and I would've paid too. I'm the person who IF I EVER thought of disregarding something like this, the cops would be at my door for a drive-off.

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: LollieK3

TANSTAAFL may be the law on the Moon, but we still have gleaning on Earth.

I started a job irrigating an avocado grove shortly after the harvest was done. Tree ripened avocados were very nice free lunch.

So: Money doesn't grow on trees may apply.

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Some showed that they were now in massive debt, with one man reporting that his account showed he owes about $40,000.

LOL! What'd he do with $40K he withdrew? I guess he should think of it as a high interest loan.
Just, LOL

A few years ago, out of the blue I received a check from Synchronicity Bank for $3,500. I had no idea what it could be for, so I assumed in was a trick, or fake, and tossed it in the trash. About a year later, they sent me another one. So, I cashed it, and nothing bad happened.

I still have no idea why Synchronicity Bank sent me $3,500.
edit on 4020242024k33America/Chicago2024-09-02T10:33:40-05:0010am2024-09-02T10:33:40-05:00 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha
LOL! What'd he do with $40K he withdrew? I guess he should think of it as a high interest loan.

Guessing he blew it on lifestyle and toys, with little to zero collateral to show for it. (Usual case when someone finds "free money!" and doesn't think first.)

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha
it is possible you had 401k money or esop money left over from a previous job. AI technology seems to be helping financial institutions catch up with lost money. I received a check from AMEX for $0.07 American for an overage. I had not used the card in over a year.

Millions of people have forgotten money just sitting around in 401k's and esop accounts from previous jobs. They may not have known the company was already contributing without needing to match, or did not really understand how an ESOP worked and then a sudden life event took their focus and a change of address just made it all get lost.

There is also a bunch of HSA money sitting around people are forgetting to use. The thing is, these are not lines of credit, these are actual funds that were already allocated, so just taking off from the payroll does not mean the money disappears into thin air. Allocated funds have to sit in an account managed by an institution somewhere.

I reminded a co-worker about his money he had forgotten about since we both came from the same prior employer. He was able to pay down his debts and was very happy. If you got $3500 from that bank, there were funds there for you or somebody with your social security number in a managed account, likely for an employer. It could also be settlement money that found its way there through mergers as well. There are a number of reasons, but if you really wanted to know all you had to do was call them, they would have given you the account number it was drawn from and the nature of that account.

Everything a financial institution does has a reason, and an associated account and # .

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 01:59 PM
link   
fraud is still fraud even if the bank screwed up.

going to be interesting to see if its jail time or those people are now in debt for a long time.

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I don't lmow if I can pay my phone and dental insurance this month, not to mention resupply tobacco rations anymore.

I hate it when stuf like this comes up.

SSDI income $550 doesn't stretch too far in today's economy.

I HAVE BILLS AND DUTIES TO PAY!

FURIOUS RIGHT NOW.
edit on 9/2/24 by GENERAL EYES because: spelling grammar edits, minor additions

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 08:50 PM
link   

You never struck me as a thief before.
Hate to hear that, but it's good for the soul to confess.

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 11:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: gb540

originally posted by: Kawrider9ish

When I got home and told my wife( who is the manager of said store) called me an idiot. She said the store is liable for the mistake.

As manager, she didn't go full deer in the headlights over how many other people prepaid and got free gas? "Your meters and receipts are off by 8000 gallons" isn't a call you want from corporate...

Anyway good job and I would've paid too. I'm the person who IF I EVER thought of disregarding something like this, the cops would be at my door for a drive-off.

Yes, she immediately called corporate and had a crew come calibrate all 18 pumps. But that wasn't my point to the person I responded to.

I should have been more clear. I was on my way to a Dr. appointment and saw I was low on gas. Waited in line to prepay and the pump didn't shut off, so I had to go back in, wait in line and pay the 8 damn cents.

You have a wife? When I got home and was bitc...complaining about the deal, she called me an idiot for whining about the ordeal. Mainly because it was 8 damn cents.

The person I responded to was bragging about getting him and his families free fuel because of a problem with the pumps. I was simply pointing out that some people don't take advantage from mistakes made by others.

The same people that complain about stores closing are the ones that helped make them fail out of their own greed.

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 03:12 PM
link   

I've seen quite a bit about this on social media. Primarily videos of people who did the "glitch" freaking out about the oncoming consequences they're going to face. I hate to admit it, but I find it absolutely hilarious.

top topics

join