It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need some help here - Funny (?)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2024 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Okay, I need some help here finding a word or description for something. It's kind of hard to explain, but I'll try my best...

You know when someone is teasing someone else with some pretty funny one-liners, and the other person gets mad and tries to reply with some stinger of a rejoinder, but they screw it up and it comes out either making no sense at all, OR winds up dunking on themself? We've all seen it right? Where someone says...

Joe - "Your mama is so dumb she went to the library to get Facebook!"

Bill - "No she didn't!!!"

Joe - "Yo' mama so dumb she puts lipstick on her forehead to make up her mind!"

Bill - "Well, your mom is so ugly she, she,...she eats skittles in, in, in the car!! So there!!!" (???????)

What do you call that? What Bill just did? It's not a non-sequitur. I know it has some kind of a name, but I can't think of it. It's like a blown joke. What's it called?

Sometimes, these are the absolute funniest things, like spew soda out of your nose kind of funny!

posted on Aug, 4 2024 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Not sure about the specific meaning or word but I’ll give it a go.

As I’m fond of words and the English vernacular, I’ll make up words or phrases. Surprisingly some have caught on and taken hold.

For instance you may or may not be familiar with “Weak Sauce”. That was one I coined circa the seventh grade and finally blew up last decade.

Regardless. And to your point. I use the word chunder. Now a chunder is like when you blow it. Like fumbling on the goal-line, or sneezing and some snot comes out when you meant to just hit on someone. Kinda like a blunder.

So personally I’d use that here, although the faux pas may have a better and more clinical definition.

Funny story here. Once in Monterey I spilled a drink all down the front of myself and as I was exiting the bar told my friend I’d chundered all over myself. Happenstance would have two Brits entering at the same time and they stopped in shock and looked me up and down, asking “you all right mate?”

I said yeah , why? They replied to chunder is to throw up and I’d just said I’d chundered all over myself.

We laughed and laughed. Good times.

edit on 4-8-2024 by SteamyAmerican because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-8-2024 by SteamyAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2024 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Perhaps lame or damp squib.

posted on Aug, 4 2024 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Encia22

I think you may be onto something here. 'Lame squib' seems to check out!

posted on Aug, 4 2024 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

A face palm??

posted on Aug, 4 2024 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure it's called 'having a Biden moment'.

posted on Aug, 4 2024 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I do not recall a specific word to describe what you are describing. However, if I might impose.

Back before my final year of high school it was the summer of 64. It was like the last day before summer vacation and I entered a long hallway from one end while at the other end of the hall entered another fellow.

Now I was not part of the school clique but the fellow approaching me was so normally I would not have spoken to him not being of the same group of people as was he. However he and I had had many classes together in secondary school so I still knew him somewhat so figured that that at least would call for some sort of comment before being gone for the summer.

As we approached one another I saw that he recognized me and said then said something. Me, I was about to offer the standard greeting of ''how's it going'' but as it left my mouth I thought that a farewell for the semester comment would be better and my brain attempted to say ''hang in there.

So what came out was ''how's it hanging''. Now this was 1964 and the first flourish of the surf craze in California. So he looked at me wondering at what I had just said but then smiled and said, Oh, that's a good one and we went our opposite ways.

So three months later our senor years began and as I got back to school found that he, who had hung with the ''cool kids'' for the summer had infected the entire group with that slogan and the whole group was using it. With in two weeks it had spread across the several school districts as a standard greeting amongst the in crowd and surfer crowd of that day.

new topics

top topics

join