It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What does a baby need?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2024 @ 10:34 AM
link   
A baby monitor is very helpful, but I might hold off on buying too mny newborn diapers. You can always get more later.

My youngest grandchild ended up being a surprising 11 pounds! They had to send up to pediatrics for diapers because the newborn size was too small. lol

No pillows or toys in the crib with a newborn-ever!

Does she have a washer and dryer? If not, she'll need double the sleepers. Babies can go through 2-4 or more a day, especially if they're prone to spitting up.

Shoulder pads are the best thing ever for burping! And bibs for when they start teething an drooling. The larger sizes are great for when they start on solid food, or just wrap them in a recieving blanket. A couple of those per day is a good estimate, but they aren't used much past four months.

Anti-colic drops are helpful if you're unfortunate enough to have a baby with colic, as long as it has simethicone as its base.

Heat is lost through our heads and feet, so socks and knit caps if it's a fall/winter baby.

A bunting to wear in the car seat/stroller.

Dr. Brown's baby bottles do a good job of helping to prevent colic if she's not going to breast feed.

Don't forget the baby book! Most hospitls will put footprints in their book if you bring it with you.

Garbage pail for used diapers and a laundry basket for only baby's clothes.

Safety tub for bathing in the regular bathtub.

Electric bottle warmers are really nice and prevent the 'hot spots' you can get with a microwave, plus some people still have concerns over the health of nuked foods.

Shopping for babies is SO much fun!

posted on Aug, 2 2024 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Shoshanna

Don't buy too much before the baby gets here. A newborn car seat, but the baby will also need a stroller that lays totally flat for the first few months. Being in the car seat for long periods of time increases the risk of SIDS and is terrible for the baby. A sling is also good, but they get heavy. If she doesn't do too much walking, then she could get away with just a sling. These need to be used with care - babies have suffocated in them when they are too loose. I had one like the cuby baby, which has hooks and straps. It is considerably more secure than the wrap kind imo and they go from newborn stage.
Get two bottles pre sterilized bottles with a newborn teat, and some ready-made formula for an emergency, but no more than that. If she can't breastfeed, then it is nothing to go Walmart and pick up 8 bottles, and a sterilizer for the bottles. If she uses bottles she needs to sterilize them each time. A really good electric steam sterilizer is essential if she is bottle feeding, but don't waste money until you know! I would say a diaper genie is a great idea, with bags for diapers. It keeps everything clean and tidy. The cat needs to go to an animal shelter. Pregnant women cannot clean litter boxes and the baby deserves a clean home.
I would get 5 sets of newborn onsies. A couple of little baby hats. A couple of sets of anti scratch mitts. A newborn doesnt need outfits, just those snap fronted onsies. The baby might be bigger, so don't get a lot to start with. Also the little vests to go underneath that snap under the diaper. Baby socks. Pacifiers! I would seriously buy at least 8 of those. They should be sterilized too.You can get orthodonic ones.
Make sure the mattress fits the crib perfectly, and is brand new. No pillows. A couple of cotton waffle baby blankets - you don't want the newborn getting over heated, as it increases the risk of SIDS. A few packs of newborn diapers. Babies grow at different rates, you can't just guess how long they will be in each stage. Unless she wants to do reusable diapers, but since she doesn't seem like a clean freak, I wouldn't go that route. ...Baby laundry soap, baby shampoo and soap, baby wipes for change time. Muslin squares for burping and going over shoulders. Baby nail clippers. Something for its clothes and things to be stored in. Like someone said, some diaper rash zinc cream. A thermometer. I had a quick look on amazon, and you can get entire grooming sets for a good price. A diaper bag and changing mat. A baby gym. A crib mobile with music and lights helped mine not fuss. For clothes something like - Gerber Baby Boys and Girls 12 Piece Layette Gift Set. I would get a couple of those.
Hope that helped.
Thank you for being a lovely human being.

posted on Aug, 2 2024 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

My doctor beat you to the Xanax, haha. Haven't drank in years. Honestly it's more problematic dealing with the step sons (13 and 15) than the baby/toddlers. Then add in my 19 year old daughter and holy hell it's like I'm subconsciously shooting for a heart attack by 45. They're all good kids just hormones are killing me. Plus big surly guy covered in 25 year old tattoos me is considered the more emotionally supportive of the parents so all of the crying comes to me. If only we could freeze them at 2-3 and make their mom less of an ice queen.....

posted on Aug, 2 2024 @ 12:53 PM
link   
If the baby doesn't already have one, get her the most important thing possible.

A Father.

posted on Aug, 2 2024 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Has she looked into the WIC Program? (Women Infants and Children)

It is amazingly helpful!

If she is low income, they will put her on now, so she can get extra veggies, milk and eggs.
When the baby is born, they pay for the formula.
I believe she can be on it until the child is 5. They also pay for Milk, eggs, cheese for toddlers.

Have her look into it if she hasn't yet.

posted on Aug, 2 2024 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I’ve got 3 kids, two are twins. They’re adults now, but I can pass on some wisdom.

I breastfed mine forever, so if she DOES go that route make sure she stays hydrated. Her body can’t make enough milk if she’s dehydrated. If she decides to do formula, it’s expensive (and hard to come by a couple of years ago because of “supply chain issues”). In lieu of a bottle warmer, she can heat up water and submerge the bottle in it (not the tip) and swirl it around to warm up all of it. That keeps hot spots from forming. She’ll need to test it on the inside of her wrist. Warmish, but not hot.

I had cats all through each pregnancy. Still do. But my husband cleaned out the box and we kept a clean house.

Smoking around her or the baby is NOT OKAY.

No alcohol or drugs while pregnant! She needs to also stay away from canned tuna fish! Lots of mercury in it.

I agree about not skimping on a great carseat. Some convert to a toddler seat as they get older. I believe the child has to be in a carseat until they hit 80 pounds and age 8.

Keep stuff out of the crib. Babies can suffocate easily.

I always used stuff called “Butt Paste” on their tushies, but the important thing is to keep diaper rash away.

Burp cloths, baby wash, baby powder (not talc), etc. All that has been mentioned. I agree that you shouldn’t buy bulk diapers! They grow fast!

I wish dad was in the picture, and a good man. I couldn’t have done it without my husband, but being a good single mom is better than having an abuser/alcoholic/slacker around.

My father, who had 5 kids, always said that you’re never financially prepared to have kids, but you rise to the occasion. They need stability, love, kindness, AND boundaries. I think we did a pretty decent job raising ours. They are all responsible adults that contribute positively to society. If she does this right, she will have the greatest love she’s ever had. 💕

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join