It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SPACE X Falcon 9 suffers "RUD" during Starlink launch out of Vandenberg

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2024 @ 07:33 PM
link   
A SPACE X Falcon 9 suffered a "RUD" (Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly) during a launch of SPACE X Starlink internet satellites. The Falcon 9 is one the most launched satellite launchers with some 360 launches and only 3 failures. Last night launch suffered the RUD during the 2nd burn of the 2nd stage sustainer where its was raising the orbital perigee for Starlink deployment .

Following is video from the ELLIE IN SPACE blog showing pieces breaking off the rocket during initial orbital insertion

www.youtube.com...

The 1st stage booster was successfully recovered back at the launch site

SPACE X has stood down subsequent launches while investigating the cause of the failure impacting several manned launches including the private
POLARIS DAWN mission, tentatively scheduled for July 31 and the Crew Dragon 9 mission in mid August , rotating the crew or the ISS.

Preliminary indications are of a LOX leak in the stage

posted on Jul, 12 2024 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: firerescue

All Elon needs is a good two hours under the hood of that bad boy and it's fixt.

posted on Jul, 12 2024 @ 10:03 PM
link   

This is another example of how difficult and dangerous space travel really is. The falcon 9 is a very reliable rocket and it fails once every 120 launches.

posted on Jul, 12 2024 @ 10:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

This is another example of how difficult and dangerous space travel really is. The falcon 9 is a very reliable rocket and it fails once every 120 launches.

One out of one hundred twenty? If that was odds of not having severe complications from a surgery, the surgery would be considered extremely safe. One out of a hundred people who got severe side effects from the covid shot, that would be called perfectly safe and effective.....They never got one out of a hundred twenty on the vax.

posted on Jul, 13 2024 @ 02:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Yep, like I always tell people..."Space is Hard!"

People underestimate just how hard traveling to, and returning from, space really is.

And, why do I say this? Because like it or not, mankind is stuck right here on Earth. The "Space is Hard" mantra applies to all these lofty ideas like colonizing Mars. Ain't gonna' happen. Just getting into orbit around Earth is hard. Getting to the Moon and back is even harder. Going to another planet (like Mars) is even harder still.

Can it be done? Yes. Is it safe? Never.

posted on Jul, 13 2024 @ 03:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

Yep, like I always tell people..."Space is Hard!"

People underestimate just how hard traveling to, and returning from, space really is.

And, why do I say this? Because like it or not, mankind is stuck right here on Earth. The "Space is Hard" mantra applies to all these lofty ideas like colonizing Mars. Ain't gonna' happen. Just getting into orbit around Earth is hard. Getting to the Moon and back is even harder. Going to another planet (like Mars) is even harder still.

Can it be done? Yes. Is it safe? Never.

Crikey!!! FCD, Didn't realise you were an Astronaut as well. Tell us more.

Kind regards,

Bally mate!

posted on Jul, 13 2024 @ 04:05 AM
link   
a reply to: bally001

Explanation: One does NOT have to be an astronaut to know that 'Space is Hard' my dear fellow ATS member!

Personal Disclosure: All one, in the west, must do is REMEMBER Apollo 1, Space Shuttle Challenger and Space Shuttle Columbia tragic loses of all on board (one never even got off the ground = Apollo 1), to KNOW that it is a very risky business and one doesn't have to be a rocket scientist nor astronaut to be very aware that it is not rocket surgery to understand that if something goes awry that ones lifespan can be measured in mere seconds ... unless one gets lucky as in Apollo 13's case!

We choose to go to the Moon

There is no strife, no prejudice, no national conflict in outer space as yet. Its hazards are hostile to us all. Its conquest deserves the best of all mankind, and its opportunity for peaceful cooperation may never come again. But why, some say, the Moon? Why choose this as our goal? And they may well ask, why climb the highest mountain? Why, 35 years ago, fly the Atlantic? Why does Rice play Texas? We choose to go to the Moon. We choose to go to the Moon... We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard; because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one we intend to win, and the others, too.

Was POTUS JFK an engineer/scientist/rocketman/astronaut??? NOPE! But he knew the dangers and so can we!

posted on Jul, 13 2024 @ 04:16 AM
link   
a reply to: OmegaLogos

Lol, Cheers mate...

Calling me out aye.

Bally)))))

posted on Jul, 13 2024 @ 04:21 AM
link   
a reply to: bally001

Not even close to being an astronaut, my friend. Not even close. I have worked on a lot of "space stuff" though. LOL!

I worked with NASA on the Space Shuttle Challenger program (Mission STS-51-L). I've seen it, up close and personal.

edit on 7/13/2024 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2024 @ 04:23 AM
link   

As I noted to bally001, yeah, I worked on Challenger STS-51-L. So I've seen just how hard it is, up close and personal, sadly.

posted on Jul, 13 2024 @ 04:29 AM
link   
a reply to: stelth2

The problem being Elon Musk has no formal training in aeronautical engineering.

posted on Jul, 13 2024 @ 04:41 AM
link   

"RUD"

I love those acronyms.

Elon - "What happened ? "

Controller - "Well sir, we had a rapid unscheduled disassembly and ...."

Elon - "What really happened? "

Controller - "That sh** fell apart"

posted on Jul, 13 2024 @ 04:48 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Kaput!

posted on Jul, 13 2024 @ 05:02 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Explanation: Methinks that several years of working directly on the problems and achieving what he has is good enough on the job training anybody needs eh.

Personal Disclosure: It is not a problem like you are making it out to be and he also has the best minds in the business working for him ... and so cut the man some slack ok!

posted on Jul, 13 2024 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Fact: It still dont make him qualified to repair or diagnose aeronautical engineering issues.

As to explanations well that remains to be established.

If you wish to cut him slack be my guest.

Nobody has ever said anything bad about the fellow aside from pointing out the obvious.

And don't telling other people what to do.............Ok!

edit on 13-7-2024 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2024 @ 05:28 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

"RUD" - Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly (LOL!)

"TSFA' - That Sh!t Fell Apart

posted on Jul, 13 2024 @ 07:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

originally posted by: Bluntone22

One out of one hundred twenty? If that was odds of not having severe complications from a surgery, the surgery would be considered extremely safe. One out of a hundred people who got severe side effects from the covid shot, that would be called perfectly safe and effective.....They never got one out of a hundred twenty on the vax.

If getting on an airplane had a one in one hundred twenty chance of crashing I doubt many people would be lining up for a vacation flight.
This is also a total failure not a severe complication. 1 in 120 chance of death from surgery or a vaccine probably wouldn't be considered safe by most people...😂

posted on Jul, 13 2024 @ 07:49 AM
link   

It would equate to 3 ""failures"" a year or thereabouts if we are applying the odds to launching a rocket daily.

Which kind of puts a different spin on things.

Now if it is just cargo/satellites 1 in 120 chance may indeed be deemed acceptable odds.

Im thinking 1 in 1000 might be a better number to aim for where people are concerned, and even then..........

edit on 13-7-2024 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2024 @ 12:43 PM
link   

TextIm thinking 1 in 1000 might be a better number to aim for where people are concerned, and even then..........
a reply to: andy06shake

Zero is probably a better number to shoot for .........

new topics

top topics

join