It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"I Want Mercy Not Sacrifice"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2024 @ 02:47 PM
link   
When you hear the word "righteous" what comes to mind? Perhaps a self-righteous person that looks down on others and judges them? Perhaps the word pious comes to mind. And that always gives a mind picture of a rigid religious person that is often a harsh judge of others.

That was the case in Jesus' days among the religious leaders of the Jews whom he was sent to preach to for his 3 1/2 year earthly ministry. The Pharisees were a critical self-righteous lot of religious hypocrites that hated Jesus Christ because he exposed them for the frauds they were. But Jesus on the other hand was not self-righteous, nor he did not judge others critically.

In fact it was his genuine love and interest he showed in others that was so appealing. People of all sorts flocked to him. And all sorts of sinners. In fact some of his closest friends and followers were grave sinners. Mary Magdalene was a demon possessed woman. There was a prostitute that washed Jesus feet with expensive perfumed oil and her tears. Matthew, an apostle, was a former tax collector, a person of ill repute because of their corrupt practices. And yet Jesus readily welcomed such sinners. In fact people spread false rumors about him because of this. He himself said:

"The Son of man did come eating and drinking, but people say, ‘Look! A man who is a glutton and is given to drinking wine, a friend of tax collectors and sinners.’ All the same, wisdom is proved righteous by its works.”-Matthew 11:19.

So the self-righteous among the Jews spoke against Jesus for this. In fact when Jesus called Matthew the tax collector to be his follower, he dined at Matthew's house, and other tax-collectors and sinners went to eat with Jesus. The Pharisees condemned Jesus for this. But knowing their wicked hearts he said:

"Later as he was dining in the house, look! many tax collectors and sinners came and began dining with Jesus and his disciples. But on seeing this, the Pharisees said to his disciples: “Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?” Hearing them, he said: “Healthy people do not need a physician, but those who are ill do. Go, then, and learn what this means: ‘I want mercy, and not sacrifice.’ For I came to call, not righteous people, but sinners.”-Matthew 9:10-13.

What scripture was Jesus quoting when he told these religious leaders to learn what "I want mercy, and not sacrifice" means? It was Hosea 6:6 which says:

"For in loyal love I delight, not in sacrifice,
And in the knowledge of God, rather than in whole burnt offerings.
"
-Hosea 6:6.

So loyal love and mercy are linked. In fact when Jehovah talks about our boasting he says this:

"This is what Jehovah says:
“Let not the wise man boast about his wisdom;
Let not the mighty man boast about his mightiness;
And let not the rich man boast about his riches.”
“But let the one boasting boast about this:
That he has insight and knowledge of me,
That I am Jehovah, the One showing loyal love, justice, and righteousness in the earth,
For in these things I take delight,” declares Jehovah.
"
-Jeremiah 9:23-24.

So the real boast comes from knowing Jehovah because he delights in showing loyal love, justice, and righteousness. Part of God's loyal love is his mercy.

What is mercy? It is pity that moves a person to action. In our case it's God's pity for our fallen human condition of sin. That pity moved him to action by sending his son to redeem us from sin and death.

The Mosaic law covenant stipulated sacrifices or burnt offerings, of animals to cover sin. But this was teaching a person their sinful condition and their need for redemption of sin and death. Many mistakenly thought that God was delighted in those sacrifices. So that they received a righteous standing before God by means of their sacrifices.

But that is not the case. God despises the sacrifices of the wicked:

"Of what benefit to me are your many sacrifices?” says Jehovah.
“I have had enough of your burnt offerings of rams and the fat of well-fed animals,
And I have no delight in the blood of young bulls and lambs and goats.
When you come to appear before me,
Who has required this from you,
This trampling of my courtyards?
Stop bringing in any more worthless grain offerings.
Your incense is detestable to me.
New moons, sabbaths, the calling of conventions
—I cannot put up with the use of magical power along with your solemn assembly.
I have hated your new moons and your festivals.
They have become a burden to me;
I am tired of bearing them.
"
-Isaiah 1:11-14.

Pious religious people who imagine they get an audience with God by professing their own righteousness, or imaging that by giving God sacrifices will bring him satisfaction are gravely mistaken. God wants mercy not sacrifice! He wants loyal love, loyalty, faithfulness. And God wants obedience not sacrifice:

"Samuel then said: “Does Jehovah take as much pleasure in burnt offerings and sacrifices as in obeying the voice of Jehovah? Look! To obey is better than a sacrifice, and to pay attention than the fat of rams."-1 Samuel 15:22.

To obey is better than a sarirfice! And to pay attention than the fat of rams!

God doesn't need sacrifice. And he was teaching his servants, and you and me, that he wants loyal love, mercy and obedience!:

"Watch your step whenever you go to the house of the true God; it is better to draw near to listen than to give a sacrifice as the stupid ones do, for they are not aware that what they are doing is bad."
-Ecclesiastes 5:1.

“Listen, O Israel: Jehovah our God is one Jehovah.  You must love Jehovah your God with all your heart and all your soul and all your strength."-Deuteronomy 6:6.

"The foreigner who resides with you should become to you like a native among you; and you must love him as yourself, for you were foreign residents in the land of Egypt. I am Jehovah your God."-Leviticus 19:34.

Speaking of which was the greatest of all the commandments in the Law given to Moses Jesus said:

"Jesus answered: “The first is, ‘Hear, O Israel, Jehovah our God is one Jehovah, and you must love Jehovah your God with your whole heart and with your whole soul and with your whole mind and with your whole strength.’ The second is this, ‘You must love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”-Mark 12:29-31.

God does not care about sacrifice. Somehow people got it into their thick skulls that he is a rigid, stupid God who does not care about mercy or love. You can commit wrong, you can look down on others, you can be self-righteous and judge others, as long as you give God your sacrifice. He couldn't care less about your worthless sacrifice!

Yes, God does approve of sacrifice. Sacrifice means to give up something. It could be your time, your energy, your resources. When you use these for the glory of God and not your own then this is well-pleasing, but only when a person shows loyal love, he is merciful, he is obedient.

Better it is is to draw close to Jehovah's house and listen than to give a sacrifice as the stupid one because they don't even know what they are doing is wrong. They may look down upon and judge the sinners of the world. But Jesus loves the sinners. And he is merciful, God is merciful, they show pity on the sinner, and their loyal love draws the sinner to repentance.

posted on May, 13 2024 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Do you know what makes a man righteous in God's eyes? It is not works of the law. It is their faith:

"Just as Abraham “put faith in Jehovah, and it was counted to him as righteousness.”-Galatians 3:6.

A person receives a righteous standing before God by means of his faith. And his faith moves him to obedience to God and his word. It moves him to show loyal love and mercy.

And that is what we are really being taught. Loyal love, mercy, faithfulness, and obedience. By means of these things you will be saved. Show your fellow man tender mercy and love. Love God with all your heart and mind and strength, and your neighbor, that is everyone else alive, as yourself.

Stop judging and show mercy and love. God could not care less about your knowledge or your sacrifice if you don't have these things. And if you do boast do not make it about your wisdom or your power, or your wealth, but in the fact that you know Jehovah who takes delight in righteousness, loyal love, and justice.

edit on Mon, 13 May 2024 14:57:42 -0500pm51320240500000042America/ChicagoMon, 13 May 2024 14:57:42 -0500 by randomuser2034 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2024 @ 03:20 PM
link   

When you hear the word "righteous" what comes to mind?

Religiousity. And the exalting of a singular written morality as superior to another. Somewhat negative connotation of that word, it has a specific reference to subjective belief.

I prefer something like honor. What is honorable. Something that exists without specific reference to any one moral ideology. I feel it's on a superlative level to things moral + righteous. It's a semantic switch, but it scrubs the subjective.

Like when a religion commands you to completely slaughter (sacrifice) young and old, women and children, burn down their houses, and fill the courtyard with the bodies of the dead, and that is the righteous thing, honor asks if they did anything to you personally that would warrant such vengeance. Which is more of mercy. An inherent open territory "let it be" default. It doesn't accept commands to kill as blanket statements without a specific personal attachment or offense. It's mercy by respectful default.

Just my thoughts.

edit on 13-5-2024 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2024 @ 03:24 PM
link   

I Want Mercy Not Sacrifice

Kinda think He wants both.
He does say that fasting is a good thing.
And fasting is a sacrifice.
And He wants us to carry our cross for the kingdom.
That's a sacrifice as well.

Mercy. Love. Forgiveness. Self sacrifice. Patience. etc etc.
All the good stuff.

posted on May, 13 2024 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Degradation33

Religiousity. And the exalting of a singular written morality as superior to another. Somewhat negative connotation of that word, it has a specific reference to subjective belief.

I prefer something like honor. What is honorable. Something that exists without specific reference to any one moral ideology. I feel it's on a superlative level to things moral + righteous. It's a semantic switch, but it scrubs the subjective.

Like if a religion commands you to completely slaughter young and old, women and children, burn down their houses, and fill the courtyard with the bodies of the dead, and that is the righteous thing, honor asks if they did anything to you personally that would warrant such vengeance. An inherent open territory let it be default. It doesn't accept commands to kill as blanket statements without a specific personal attachment or offense.

Just my thoughts.

Before Jehovah destroyed the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah for their gross evil he approached Abraham to tell him what he was going to do. And Abraham realizing that Jehovah was righteous, would not even think of killing righteous people along with the wicked. So in a humble and respectful manner he questioned God about this. Notice the conversation:

"Then Abraham approached and said: “Will you really sweep away the righteous with the wicked? 24 Suppose there are 50 righteous men within the city. Will you, then, sweep them away and not pardon the place for the sake of the 50 righteous who are inside it? 25 It is unthinkable that you would act in this manner by putting the righteous man to death with the wicked one so that the outcome for the righteous man and the wicked is the same! It is unthinkable of you. Will the Judge of all the earth not do what is right?” 26 Then Jehovah said: “If I find in Sodʹom 50 righteous men in the city, I will pardon the whole place for their sake.” 27 But Abraham again responded: “Please, here I have presumed to speak to Jehovah, whereas I am dust and ashes. 28 Suppose the 50 righteous should lack five. Because of the five will you destroy the whole city?” To this he said: “I will not destroy it if I find there 45.”

29 But yet again he spoke to him and said: “Suppose 40 are found there.” He answered: “I will not do it for the sake of the 40.” 30 But he continued: “Jehovah, please, do not become hot with anger, but let me go on speaking: Suppose only 30 are found there.” He answered: “I will not do it if I find 30 there.” 31 But he continued: “Please, here I have presumed to speak to Jehovah: Suppose only 20 are found there.” He answered: “I will not destroy it for the sake of the 20.” 32 Finally he said: “Jehovah, please, do not become hot with anger, but let me speak just once more: Suppose only ten are found there.” He answered: “I will not destroy it for the sake of the ten.” 33 When Jehovah finished speaking to Abraham, he went his way and Abraham returned to his place.
"-Genesis 18:23-33.

This teaches us a valuable lesson. God allows his faithful servants to question him. And he is willing to answer. And we learn that it is unthinkable that God would do away with righteous people along with the wicked.

If a person would judge God for exacting vengeance on a person or a group of people, then they are saying they not only are more righteous than God, but they are also aware of all the facts that lead to God's decision. Things which you have neither. So it is more of a wicked judgement on the part of the human trying to judge according to their own standards, or in other words being self-righteous, and thus a hypocrite, doing what they falsely accuse God of doing.

edit on Mon, 13 May 2024 15:50:44 -0500pm51320240500000044America/ChicagoMon, 13 May 2024 15:50:44 -0500 by randomuser2034 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2024 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

I Want Mercy Not Sacrifice

Kinda think He wants both.
He does say that fasting is a good thing.
And fasting is a sacrifice.
And He wants us to carry our cross for the kingdom.
That's a sacrifice as well.

Mercy. Love. Forgiveness. Self sacrifice. Patience. etc etc.
All the good stuff.

While fasting was approved of under the law, it is not a requirement for a Christian. And if a person did fast it could not be for a wrong motive. The Bible tells us that people who fasted to impress others, to prove ones own self-righteousness, to compensate for sin (God accepted only fasts that were accompanied by obedience and by heartfelt repentance for any sins committed), as a religious formality, did not have God's approval.

Christians recognize that fasting is not the focus of their worship. The Bible never associates fasting with happiness. In contrast, true Christian worship is marked by joy, reflecting the personality of Jehovah, “the happy God.”​—1 Timothy 1:​11; Ecclesiastes 3:​12, 13; Galatians 5:​22.

edit on Mon, 13 May 2024 15:53:04 -0500pm51320240500000004America/ChicagoMon, 13 May 2024 15:53:04 -0500 by randomuser2034 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2024 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: randomuser2034

I don't accept lectures on loyalty, mercy and obedience from a figment who is presumably watching those kids in both Gaza and Israel die without batting an eye. Now is the time to make believers of charlatans and angels of the faithful. Anything less is cowardice, conceit and sloth. But what do you expect from a figment.

posted on May, 13 2024 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

I don't accept lectures on loyalty, mercy and obedience from a figment who is presumably watching those kids in both Gaza and Israel die without batting an eye. Now is the time to make believers of charlatans and angels of the faithful. Anything less is cowardice, conceit and sloth. But what do you expect from a figment.

God's kingdom is the solution to mankind's problems. If God were to step in and fix things man's way he would only being supporting the rebellion against him. God is not the cause of evil nor does he approve of it. And he has also shown us how he is going to do away with it. He has appointed a king by which he will judge the inhabited earth. When Jesus returns in his kingdom power he will separate the sheep from the goats and the goats will go into everlasting cutting off and the meek, the sheep, humble teachable people who are peacemakers will get relief from the evil, as God cuts off human rebellion and sets up a righteous government of peace over all the earth. Therein the meek will find their exquisite delight in the abundance of peace:

"In the days of those kings the God of heaven will set up a kingdom that will never be destroyed. And this kingdom will not be passed on to any other people. It will crush and put an end to all these kingdoms, and it alone will stand forever."-Daniel 2:44.

The point? God's kingdom government in heaven will end all human rule and will establish a righteous government of peace over all the earth.

"For a child has been born to us,
A son has been given to us;
And the rulership will rest on his shoulder.
His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace.
"
-Isaiah 9:6.

The meaning? Jesus is the Prince of Peace. His heavenly rule over the earth after Armageddon will bring untold relief to peaceable people who will live in peace.

"Just a little while longer, and the wicked will be no more; You will look at where they were, And they will not be there. 11 But the meek will possess the earth, And they will find exquisite delight in the abundance of peace."-Psalm 37:10-11.

The meaning? In a short time God will get rid of all the wicked people. You will raise your eyes and they will no longer be there. And the meek will find an abundance of delight in peaceful conditions under God's kingdom rule over the earth.

posted on May, 14 2024 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Degradation33

Like when a religion commands you to completely slaughter (sacrifice) young and old, women and children, burn down their houses, and fill the courtyard with the bodies of the dead, and that is the righteous thing, honor asks if they did anything to you personally that would warrant such vengeance. Which is more of mercy. An inherent open territory "let it be" default. It doesn't accept commands to kill as blanket statements without a specific personal attachment or offense. It's mercy by respectful default.

Just my thoughts.

I know of several societies where 'honour killings' have occurred.

So, i'll disagree.

posted on May, 14 2024 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

So, aren't you also watching the carnage without taking action?

Couldn't you do something to provide aid, or to stand-up for peace?

posted on May, 14 2024 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Degradation33

I prefer something like honor. What is honorable.

I agree.

Also, I stopped searching for what is good in this world and began searching for what is true.

"Good" is slippery and defined by those that want to cast their own beliefs in a positive light.

But what is true is true. It is neither good nor evil.

Just unflinching in it's honesty.

I no longer try to be good. I simply try to be true.

I don't always succeed. So I try again.

And hopefully fail better the next time.

edit on 5/14/2024 by SchrodingersRat because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2024 @ 06:49 AM
link   
I've always wondered why I felt a bond of kinship with those lived lives of hardship.

Meanwhile I've been blessed with a nourished and full life; I lived easy.

Now I know; I follow the way of my Brother and my Father.

I felt as an imposter among them.

Yet they welcomed me as their own.

We mutually help each other in service.

I respect and admire those who conquered.

What honor is there in a battle that's already won?

Those who climbed the mountain are worthy of praise.

join