It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Carolina to Restart Death Penalty, Says 'Painless' Death Not A Requirement

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2024 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: AlexandrosOMegas

originally posted by: CataclysmicRockets
I personally think the guillotine is the best deterrent. It sends a message to the spectators.

In all truth, I don't think a more humane method has ever improved on the guillotine. Honestly, they should go to sleep each night on sleeping pills and be put in the contraption to sleep. And one night out of those thirty should be decided randomly by a computer where at that date and time, it descends before you can even wake up from the noise and ends you. My grandfather got the chair...of course, my only complaint was that it went too fast. I think you should have all the time in the world to think of what you have done.

Man, that’s like out of Edgar Allen Poe’s books, minus the sleeping pills! Just rack them up every night, let them try and sleep on that big steel blade hanging above their necks!
Clicking of the clock never more!
Psychological torture and nightmare just thinking of that.

posted on Feb, 7 2024 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Well. Considering today's technology I would thing a quick painless death could be done simply.

How I would do it is there would be a cylinder about 3 feet wide. There would be a large heavy piston at the top of the cylinder. Prisoner would be put in the cylinder and the door secured. 5-10 seconds later the piston would be slammed into the cylinder with around 10,000 psi. The former prisoner would be a red paste at the bottom of the cylinder. Then said red paste could be washed into a tank and then cremated.

Simple, painless, and done in less than .1 seconds. The prisoner won't know what hit them.

posted on Feb, 8 2024 @ 12:45 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

I think some victims have "girl with dragon tattoo" privilege, so I am definitely one for peresonal retribution. But I accept a society of laws doesn't permit that, so you are at risk to go vigilante.

And I also think the victims families should get to be chosen from as potential executioners.

I think eye fir an eye is natural. It might not make you feel better in the end, but its natural to want to inflict like for like retaliation.

I realize humane is a thing, but Dahmer deserved to be beaten to death with a chair and everyone knew it. Humane? For that?

If people cared about humane they'd use hypoxia. Get put in a room and slowly draw the oxygen out of it like a person on a depressuruzed jet.

They'd get loopy, pass out, and then die. Swiss use oxygen deprivation in assisted suicide.

I think the methods chosen have either been chosen via medical contracts for execution drugs or rooted in old methods that don't necessary reflect the most painless ways to die.

But really, show of hands of everyone that thinks the Ohio man that killed his three sons to punish his wife, deserves to not be the first Ohio execution since 2018?

And they are considering nitrogen gas, so he could be a humane hypoxia execution anyway.
edit on 8-2-2024 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2024 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I think the death penalty is necessary and it should be carried out publicly. I think once the death penalty is given out as a sentence, the sentenced person should have 30 days to make their peace with God and their families and attempt a single appeal. I also think that the evidentiary requirements for the death penalty should be as strict as possible to eliminate the possibility of wrongful conviction.

Humane execution doesn't matter when you're executing animals. It should hurt. It should terrify anyone who sees it or even hears about it.

posted on Feb, 8 2024 @ 09:14 AM
link   

I think it should be done quick and as pain-free as possible, otherwise with that lack of caring, we become as inhumane as they are/were.

posted on Feb, 8 2024 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Bring back public hanging. If you've ever seen it, it makes an impression that sticks with you.

posted on Feb, 8 2024 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: anightwatchman
I don't think it should hurt. They should just fall asleep and not wake back up.

This is exactly what lethal injection should be when done right.
1. Heavy sedative
2. Paralytic

This is essentially induction of general anesthesia performed in ORs every day. Except no respiratory support while paralyzed.

3. Then, heavy dose of potassium to stop the heart.

Been out of the assisting with cardiothoracic surgery business for a long time now, but a big schwack of K is how they'd stop the heart to operate on it.

Aside from getting the IV in, lethal injection, done correctly, is about the most humane way to do it. Aside from the abject fear of knowing you will never wake up (which I am fine with, as it's likely only a fraction of the fear caused by the crimes they committed), pretty peaceful way to go.

posted on Feb, 9 2024 @ 04:50 AM
link   

edit on 2/9/2024 by yeahright because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2024 @ 05:34 AM
link   

South Carolina to Restart Death Penalty, Says 'Painless' Death Not A Requirement

Then it's torture.

It's not about what they deserve.

But about the greater part of human rights and the fact that cruel and unusual punishment is wrong.

If you must execute them a bullet to the brain would do the job and be far more humane by my guess.
edit on 9-2-2024 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2024 @ 05:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Then it's torture.

It's not about what they deserve.

But about the greater part of human rights and the fact that cruel and unusual punishment is wrong.

If you must execute them a bullet to the brain would do the job and be far more humane by my guess.

Iam very much in agreement with you.
Painful executions or torture is against ethics and morality. But this looks like 'cowboy' justice.

posted on Feb, 9 2024 @ 06:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
I'll say upfront, I'm usually against the death penalty unless there is a special reason it's needed, like the inmate is so violent that it's not safe for the other inmates or jail guards.

South Carolina hasn't had any executions in 13 years and is going to be starting them up again. They will be by electric chair, firing squad, and lethal injection. The state says the deaths do not have to be instant and do not have to be painless. I understand that many will say that is part of the punishment for the crime committed and that the person doesn't deserve a painless death. But I say that we are supposed to be above that and if it is deemed that the person has to be put to death, then it should be as humane as possible, even if they don't deserve the mercy of a painless (or relatively painless) death.

South Carolina To Restart Executions by Electric Chair and Firing Squad, Says Painless Deaths Not a Requirement

Lawyers for a group of South Carolina death row inmates who have run out of appeals argued to the state's Supreme Court that two of the state's forms of execution — the old electric chair method and the new firing squad method — are cruel and unusual punishments, although the state claims that "painless" deaths are not mandated.

The lawyers for the four inmates also argued that a 2023 law created to allow lethal injections to restart hides too many details about the new drug and protocol used to kill inmates.

This, as 33 inmates sit on South Carolina's death row. There has not been a formal moratorium on the death penalty, but the state has not performed an execution in nearly 13 years after the drugs it used for lethal injection expired and companies refused to sell more to prison officials unless they could hide their identities from the public.

South Carolina purports that all three execution methods are consistent with existing protocols, saying "instantaneous or painless" executions are not mandated by law.

I understand some people have committed hideous crimes and they should be locked up for the rest of their lives. I am against the death penalty (generally speaking) and against painful deaths and torture but if someone must be put to death and the state decides to go ahead and execute them then this must happen in a very quick and painless way.

posted on Feb, 9 2024 @ 03:02 PM
link   
It's my belief after many years of reflection on the matter, that if a trial's penalty phase leads to the death penalty, it should then become a private matter. A family member of the victim gets designated as the executioner, by the family. Condemned placed in a chair in an appropriate room, the designated executioner is handed a .45 revolver with a single round. In the case of multiple victims, a lottery to decide which family gets to designate the executioner.
edit on 9-2-2024 by vance2 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join