It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study Says Southern Accent is Disappearing

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: peskyhumans
I live in upstate NY and it's horrifying how many people here speak with a drawl. I absolutely loathe the burr-like sound that comes out of their mouth-holes. My neighbor is no different form Cletus the slack-jawed yokel in the SImspons.

What kind of miserable life do you live when you spend all day every day sitting outside under your car port, and you just never stop talking? They're sitting outside, talking, nearly every minute of their lives. The only time they're not is when it's night-time and they go inside to sleep. When I do yard work I get to hear them talk about me because I'm the most entertaining thing they've seen all day. They'll talk about anything they see because nothing of interest ever happens in their sad little lives, and with every word they speak there's the burrr of the lazy long throaty words they have to drawl on and on and on and on and on and on.

Shut up, Cletus.

And when he's not sitting outside talking nonstop he's running a circular saw or banging a hammer. I have no idea how his little trailer needs so much construction done on it. It seems like he could have built a whole second house by now.

Damn, man. I don't know if I'm Cletus, but you can come in for a drink and a meal and talk about it. For the record, I own my home. And the land. Though it be small, it's mine. Bought and paid for. You seem like you need a rest. Hell, I got some gaming tables. There is indeed a workshop though that you seem to be adverse to. We make money there. It's relatively quiet. Most of our two workshops is computer related now, but a few things are hard labor. Heard of it?

ETA: we're on good terms with our neighbors. We kinda brought the block together. We share gardens, carpentry, and all sorts of knick knacks and general aid amongst ourselves. Like a community. Who'd have thought this could happen in the center of town? Well, a couple hillbillies did it.. again... I'm sure it ain't too difficult.
edit on 4-10-2023 by sine.nomine because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: peskyhumans

You know what I hate? The sound of black people who do not know how to talk like intelligent people. Just sitting out on th curb rambling and rapping to nobody like idiots. I also hate the sound of flamboyant gay men who have developed a special accent out of nowhere to get attention. dumb ass.

posted on Oct, 10 2023 @ 11:31 PM
link   
This thread has some of the most idiotic replies I have ever seen on ATS. Keep up the good work y'all!

<< 1   >>

join