It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian forces have started covering some of their attack aircraft with car tires,

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2023 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I wonder if just painting wide black rings would have had the same effect….

Perhaps the 3 dimensional thickness depth height of the tires is necessary?

👽

posted on Sep, 8 2023 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Ophiuchus1

The tires do change the SAR return. They don’t absorb the radar completely, but they do absorb some of the radar, with a noticeable change to the return.

posted on Sep, 8 2023 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Tires would definitely add time to a scramble……imo

👽

posted on Sep, 9 2023 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Why would you camouflage decoys? I'd camouflage the good aircraft and leave the decoys alone so that the decoys would be targeted.

posted on Sep, 9 2023 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

No. That's just what they'll be expecting us to do....

posted on Sep, 9 2023 @ 07:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499

Why would you camouflage decoys? I'd camouflage the good aircraft and leave the decoys alone so that the decoys would be targeted.
The "camouflaged" or tire-covered planes are sometimes missing propellers or even entire engines, so regardless of the reasons, they appear to be trying to hide aircraft that aren't airworthy. Maybe down for major maintenance or else used for spare parts and won't fly again. I don't know if a "spare parts" carcass can be considered a "decoy", but they'd rather have that destroyed than an airworthy plane.

I think most of the good aircraft were moved even further from Ukraine, though if Ukraine is launching these drone attacks from inside Russia, it may not be possible to locate them far enough away to be safe.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join