It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Not a single house for sale in my town

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2023 @ 10:55 PM
link   
a reply to: SirHardHarry

That's how it is in the closest town to me here in rural SC. Town of maybe 7k people tops and some pretty nice subdivisions are going up, really nice development of townhouses, etc. I have no clue how anyone could afford them in this area unless they did what my wife and I did, which was get the heck out of the city and work remotely. I'm sure some could afford some of the prices, but from what I'm seeing, it's a lot of folks like us because the prices are absolutely nuts.

People are talking about prices going up; we've been here two years, custom-built. It's now appraising for twice what I spent on it, and I locked in at 2.15%, so I'm planning on dying here. The land itself is 4x the value it was upon purchase, which I think is nuts as well. A third of it is in a flood plain, and the rest is about 150 feet in elevation from that which is where the house is.

posted on May, 6 2023 @ 11:36 PM
link   
a reply to: 38181

Yea its a lot more reasonable on the south side of the state.

Winters are strange, me and the wife loved it, a level of peace and quiet I have been chasing since I was a little kid.

She wasnt sure she would like it so she refused to even entertain the possibility of buying a house, an we missed out on some great ones.

*sighs* oh well... outside of being surprised by a grizzly or a moose no other place I would rather live.

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I live in a mostly rural area around a small city.

plenty of cheap houses in the city and the local towns.

almost nothing available in between. the suburbs and exurbs and rural are sold out.

makes sense. most of us don't want to live IN the city but we want to be close enough to run our errands.

a few weeks ago I cruised around the back roads for a couple hours. maybe two houses for sale. one was sold a week later.

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Sounds like you live in a tiny town. Maybe all your fellow townies are all happy where they are because Biden let corn pop away?

a reply to: JAGStorm

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Here in West Dearborn, houses are bought up by the Middle Eastern families and real estate who are buying at a low rate.

My neighbors stopped trying to sell because they wanted too much. And when rich or richer families (they all seem to be)..come along.....before showing date, get dozens of offers, usually cash.

For your own info J? Look into Dearborn and Wayne County properties to give you a better idea.

Hey J, as always, God Bless you.

*J! Our Aldi was leveled, bulldozed in a day. Say they are coming back in 6 months. This a.m.....the buildings leveled....

So there goes their prices!😖
edit on 05230431America/ChicagoSun, 07 May 2023 08:25:04 -050025202300000004 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 09:32 AM
link   

After reading your post I decided to go around and check on "For sale signs", I have to say, I find the odd, I have not spotted any family home for sale in my area, but the usual big commercial lots that has been posted for years and still empty.

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Jobs don’t pay enough houses are too expensive I’m 40 years old and I have given up ever hoping to own my own home.

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 10:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: ITSALIVE
Sounds like you live in a tiny town. Maybe all your fellow townies are all happy where they are because Biden let corn pop away?

It’s small but not tiny, we aren’t talking a town of 5k or anything like that.
There are enough people here that people are normally always moving in or out.
It is just unheard of to not have one single house for sale…

posted on May, 8 2023 @ 06:29 AM
link   

So is 5k small or tiny?

posted on May, 8 2023 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I dunno... It's nearly impossible to find a place to rent in my town. A lot of industry with low wages and workers commuting from other towns. I bought a house last year but it wasn't on the market, we just knew the old man died and offered a check before realtors could get involved to save us and them some coin. But there's a few overpriced garbage properties around here. I guess insider information gets the best deals. It's tough out there.
edit on 8-5-2023 by sine.nomine because: Typo

posted on May, 8 2023 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

Buy a duplex and have most of your mortgage paid for by the rent from the other side. Any improvements/maintenance should be deductible from the profits.

posted on May, 8 2023 @ 11:12 PM
link   
It's been brutal trying to find a house in an area I like. I'm in Philly and desperate to get out. Between ever-rising rent, two girls in private school, and being the only one who works steady, I can't build any savings.

Any time I find a house in my budget, someone swoops in with a cash offer to remodel it and sell it for double.

Philly is getting steadily more horrendous, even the "decent" section I'm in. Not the place to be if the sh*t ever hits the fan, which has felt inevitable for the past ten or so years.

Maybe one day.

posted on May, 9 2023 @ 12:06 AM
link   
We would love to sell and move but there is no way we can find anything in our price range. We can't afford a one bedroom apartment for what we pay for our mortgage.

We kinda stuck and it sucks lol .

posted on May, 9 2023 @ 06:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: dlbott
We would love to sell and move but there is no way we can find anything in our price range. We can't afford a one bedroom apartment for what we pay for our mortgage.

when u retire consider a motor home. park free at most Walmarts most nights. go to a campground once a week or so to flush the system. move with the weather. considering this myself.

posted on May, 9 2023 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: ElGoobero

Not to derail the topic much, but how are you going to power the motor home? I imagine gasoline will be made illegal by that point; it's certainly on track to do something silly like that, at least.

posted on May, 9 2023 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: dlbott

Unless things change this is going to be the case for the majority of homeowners.

Some people used to move states for cheaper housing, like moving from the Midwest to the South.
Now in some cases it might actually be more expensive.

The only case where it is cheaper to move is if you are moving from a very high tax & property tax state and downsizing your house and even then it might be break even with all the new costs of getting a mortgage, unless of course you can purchase outright.

The one thing some are doing is leaving the States outright. That’s not necessarily a good thing either. They are moving in droves to places like Thailand, Philippines, Costa Rica, etc and of course driving prices up in those places and disrupting locals from their own housing…

posted on May, 9 2023 @ 03:58 PM
link   

What area are you around?

Down here in swfl there are houses for sale but still lower than average pre covid inventory. Also they are still asking top dollars and some getting multiple offers and full asking prices.

We are getting alot of influx buyers from the democrat states moving down here and paying cash. I think last I checked more than 80% of the buyers were cash deals.

Once again Biden and the democrats fooling the naive people that he is helping them with the new mortgage and refi penalties for those that have good credit as a form of robin hood punishment for the rich. In reality the uber rich love it because they pay cash. Once again the middle class will get the punishment.

posted on May, 17 2023 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: justmeonly

As soon as you loan me the money to do that I'll get right on it. In the mean time I need to get back to my no credit living from pay check to pay check life. Rent and car and health care payments are due.

posted on May, 17 2023 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Going to see a house tomorrow, if its as clean as the pictures make it look will be making an offer on the spot.

Scary times part of me thinks its a mistake but staying in an apartment just isnt an option right now, I am looking down the tunnel and see two lights, one is good the other a train dont know which will reach us first.

posted on May, 18 2023 @ 07:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
Going to see a house tomorrow, if its as clean as the pictures make it look will be making an offer on the spot.

Scary times part of me thinks its a mistake but staying in an apartment just isnt an option right now, I am looking down the tunnel and see two lights, one is good the other a train dont know which will reach us first.

Good luck on your house buying journey.

Some believe the housing market is going to crash, but that doesn’t make any sense as there isn’t enough housing right now. The problem is that there are high prices and high interest rates. That creates a very unique situation that won’t be able to last long. One of them is going to have to give!

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join