It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Everyone now is talking about food shortages here in Japan

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2023 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

What I am seeing out here in the boonies, is the closing of stores. But in a clever way. The stores in the poor and middle class areas are being closed. But the stores in the wealthy areas are being enlarged. This will leave those without transportation having to order their stuff online, or wherever they can find it, locally.

The wealthy, or those with transportation, that still want to shop in the markets, will have to go to the areas where the stores are located, or use a delivery service, or order on line.

I don’t really notice a shortage, but I do notice a decrease in variety. The stores seemed to be stocking items that are more likely to sale in their demographic. Example: I had taken my mother to her audiologist. I decided since I was there I would pick up some salt for my water system at the Publix close by the doctor’s office. The store is located in the city. It did not carry salt. Darn near the first thing you see when you enter the Publix where I live, is salt and water system supplies. But city folk don’t need those things, so it maded sense they would not use up valuable space stocking something they may sell once every few months.

Anyway, the point I was trying to make is that they seem to be sticking with the items that the people in their area are most likely to buy, reducing their variety.

Second thing I noticed is that the price of everything is steady going up. A three pound of potatoes was $6.99. You could have knocked me over with a feather. Thank goodness my brother had a strong carrot and potatoes yield this year. It also incentivized me to take those potatoes I had in the pantry that had gone to seed, and stick them in the ground.

It is going to be tougher for some than others. But I have had to live off the land and stone soup before. It is not that bad for country folk that know the power of community and sharing. I can’t speak for the folks in the city.

I can tell you from the postings my neighbor showed me in FaceBook, that the community is on high alert, and is not taking kindly to folk coming on property that they don’t know. Everybody, and their dog have cameras every where. To be honest, the cameras were first put up to protect the pets and live stock when the coyote population increased after all the new construction came to town. But now they are being used to watch more for the two legged animal than the four legged one.

Out here, there is not a gun behind every blade of grass, there are four. And a good number of these good old boys are just itching for a halfway valid excuse to use them.

This country has gone through hard times and depressions before. If we unplug, and focus on family and community, we will get through this probably better than before.

posted on Apr, 29 2023 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Entirely manufactured crisis by Globalists. They need to be executed, STAT !!

posted on Apr, 29 2023 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Food prices rising in the Philippines.

Japan shortages causing our rice prices to go up?

posted on Apr, 29 2023 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Here is the deal.

If you don't already have a year's worth of Long Term Storage food already then you have been a foolish and wasted time.

Food is NOT going to get massively cheaper. Start mylar'ing up that Rice, Pasta, Cornmeal, Grits, Dried Beans, Dried Peas, Oats, etc. and stack it high.

Then buy a crap ton of canned meat.

posted on Apr, 29 2023 @ 02:14 PM
link   
So far around here there don't seem to be much food shortages, but prices are still going up on most things. Eggs came down somewhat, but that is just one thing. Chicken came down a bit, pork stabilized, and burger and some beef cuts have cheaper prices during sales. But most things are staying up with many increasing in price. It is only a matter of time before there is a shortage of food here too, looking at some of the agriculture predictions shows we may be having a worse season this summer in lots of areas.

We are not going to reduce our food pantry stores. We have enough to buffer shortages for a while, we stock up mostly to save money on the food budget by buying sales, not usually for shortages or disasters.

posted on Apr, 29 2023 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

We usually have enough food in stock for the wife and I to eat for about a year, but we have kids, grandkids, greatgrandkids, and a brother and his family to feed if things go haywire. A years worth of food for two people does not go very far when you are feeding sixteen+ people with it.

I just hope there is no disaster in the near future, everything can go to hell after the wife and I die of old age in another ten years.

posted on Apr, 29 2023 @ 03:02 PM
link   
$250 grocery bill. Store Shelves stocked fully.

posted on Apr, 29 2023 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Poverty? Over here everybody that wanted got a covid this-or-gov-check thru the last 2 years. We have no real shortages of anything. And I shop constantly. Dairy is up, meat a bit. Gas tonight #3.07 per gallon. The wife says in general everything up 40% from pre '21.

Respectfully, my friend in the land of the Rising Sun? You guys in Japan? Its an island nation! I guess there'd be a lot of shortages for you.

As always M, wear yer pads when ridin' out there!

edit on 04234330America/ChicagoSat, 29 Apr 2023 20:45:43 -050045202300000043 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2023 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: RAY1990
a reply to: ancientlight

Woke idiots everywhere need to wake the f*!k up and instead fight for freedom.

What does that fight look like to you?

I struggle to find the reason to fight a system everyone is so invested in. What comes across is not a desire to end the system but to have it rigged in a more positive way for them.

Absolute insanity. She would never even think to comment on the muliple yahts the 'elite's own who are purposely destroying and corrupting the world.

I've only seen those meanie greenies attacking yachts, plenty of new flavours of green these days and it's no longer about those pesky whales is it, maybe they're onto something lol.

Was it a big bag of rice? Could've been curious... Could've been asking for a handout too. You might have just missed an opportunity to share a recipe also!

No, it was not like that at all. She was being judgemental. It was a bulk bag as they're cheaper and it lasts a long time.
It felt like shopping during end times at that time. It's getting a bit better now , the vibes in grocery stores, but that trust that food will always be there is gone.

posted on Apr, 30 2023 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Japan needs to import a lot of its beef and soy

thediplomat.com...

It is true that Japan’s calorie-based food self-sufficiency rate has declined over time. In 1960, Japan covered most of its domestic consumption by itself – the rate was 102 percent for rice, 100 percent for fruits and vegetables, and 91 percent for meats.

Today, Japan depends on imports for many food items. In 2021, while Japan domestically produced 98 percent of rice consumed, the rate was 30 percent for fruits, 76 percent for vegetables, and 16 percent for stock farm products. The rates for other food items were 21 percent for soy beans, 15 percent for wheat, and 11 percent for beef.

not much available land for agri expansion.

looks like they have enough food, but not all the desired variety.
edit on 01032020 by ElGoobero because: add content

posted on Apr, 30 2023 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: ancientlight

Rice does last a long time and it's versatile, I would have said it's for my dog and watch her freak out lol. COVID did embolden a lot of people to be not so nice.

Food security is a lot like financial security, if you're reliant on institutions, companies and governments to provide said things there's always the possibility the rug can be pulled from under your feet. History is filled with incidents like that.

I'm sorry that happened to you and I hope my post didn't come across as snarky. I've been whistling the same tune in regards to this stuff for a long time, I'll improve the tone. The best way to "fight the power" is proactively. Too many are often on the back foot (reactive) and it does us no good. Things like COVID or the 2008 crisis kind of shows how security is often an illusion.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join