It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Small Businesses Want to Know Where Are The Customers

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Dec, 19 2022 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I saw that on a clip on the news.
Reality is setting in and as I mentioned before we will see the backlash of this in February or March.
It’s not going to be pretty.
This small store owner said she hoped people are waiting for the last minute to come in. I don’t think that is going to happen.
Mostly because people don’t have money. Also at least here we are having frigid weather with more on the way and probably a blizzard right before Xmas. That won’t help, and people will need funds for higher heating costs and food.

Big box stores won’t be much better. For those that have Menards. (Hardware store like Home Depot) I’ve been going there for decades. They have these cute holiday houses set up each year. They are normally sold out by early/mid December. I was in there the other day, it was fully stocked.
It’s the first time I’ve ever seen that happen…ever, even 2008/2009.

Smaller stores don’t have a chance. Will check back in March!

posted on Dec, 19 2022 @ 05:31 PM
link   
1. Don’t have the money.
2. Worried that they won’t have the money for necessities.

Almost drained the Strategic Reserve, when that is dry there will be no other factor to lower the price of oil unless Russia capitulates in order to sell their oil and there is zero reason to do so because their stockpile just goes up in value.

posted on Dec, 19 2022 @ 05:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

I saw that on a clip on the news.
Reality is setting in and as I mentioned before we will see the backlash of this in February or March.
It’s not going to be pretty.
This small store owner said she hoped people are waiting for the last minute to come in. I don’t think that is going to happen.
Mostly because people don’t have money. Also at least here we are having frigid weather with more on the way and probably a blizzard right before Xmas. That won’t help, and people will need funds for higher heating costs and food.

Big box stores won’t be much better. For those that have Menards. (Hardware store like Home Depot) I’ve been going there for decades. They have these cute holiday houses set up each year. They are normally sold out by early/mid December. I was in there the other day, it was fully stocked.
It’s the first time I’ve ever seen that happen…ever, even 2008/2009.

Smaller stores don’t have a chance. Will check back in March!

All that -- plus stores have cut back on products and only have basics. Most basics you can get at Walmart (or similar)

I'm not the only one who has gone out looking for something special (wasting my gas and time) -- to come home and order online.

edit on 19-12-2022 by Annee because: (no reason given)

+12 more 
posted on Dec, 19 2022 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

It's a damned shame that people and businesses are suffering.

But we all know why it is happening.

And it's not my fault.

posted on Dec, 19 2022 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Whats crazy is it seems to be the opposite in my industry. The techs are in demand and labor is short everywhere. I have been able to raise my rates and stay very busy. My account has never looked better and I see no signs of it slowing down either.

posted on Dec, 19 2022 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Interesting post.

In literally the past couple days, I've seen multiple retailers advertising 20%-40% off. In what's supposed to be the final rush before Christmas? Something is very wrong.

One issue is we've been in full-blown Christmas since mid-October. People have bought what they're going to buy.

And yes, inflation and real cost-of-living impacts. Discretionaries like the holiday house will have to wait this year.

posted on Dec, 19 2022 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Can confirm-
I make more money than anyone I know,
And I'm not spending a dime extra until heating season is over.

Last I saw heating fuel was over $5a gallon and this place was built when it was around 70 cents a gallon.

At $1500 a tank and I'm on track for three or four tanks before spring, there's not a whole lot of money to go around.

posted on Dec, 19 2022 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

Most in the construction, engineering, and other service industries sound like they are busy.

Where I see the slowdown is retail, hospitality, and restaurants.

In general, not pointing at you and your business, things are going to sh!t.

Contractors and service companies are slow to respond and deliver and the restaurant and retail is worse.

I’m giving up on drive throughs, which is probably good for my health.

Went to a KFC the other week and was told at the drive through that it would be about half an hour for chicken! I ditched that one and went to another that was close. I was told the same thing. I asked why and they said they don’t make it ahead of time because they weren’t busy. Saving on food wastage due to costs I think.

Went to a Tim Hortons this week and ordered coffee and an “Anytime snack”. No snack. Ordered an “All day breakfast sandwich”. Nope.

I think we’re watching society implode in slow motion.

posted on Dec, 19 2022 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD
Whats crazy is it seems to be the opposite in my industry. The techs are in demand and labor is short everywhere. I have been able to raise my rates and stay very busy. My account has never looked better and I see no signs of it slowing down either.

Have you had problems getting paid, or has your industry remain unaffected so far?

Have had some recent experiences with vendors in my industry. We're not deadbeats and we pay our bills, but had at least one vendor demand a signed personal guarantee that they'd get paid.

posted on Dec, 19 2022 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: gb540

I said the same to my wife last night.

I walked in with two Eddie Bauer sweaters and some Patagonia rain pants.

She couldn’t believe that I got it all for $89.00 right before Christmas. Had to show her the receipt LOL.

These were 60 to 70% off sales and the stores weren’t that busy.

Not sure what’s going on but usually we’re lucky to see 50% off on Boxing Day here. Odd.

posted on Dec, 19 2022 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: NorthOfStuff

I think it's just evolving and changing.

+4 more 
posted on Dec, 19 2022 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

My family wanted to know what I got them for Christmas.

I said, "I paid all our utility bills".

posted on Dec, 19 2022 @ 06:14 PM
link   
You will own nothing and be happy.

That includes the little man/ woman owning their own businesses.

Besides, it's not profitable to have robots working in small businesses because they're so expensive, plus robots get bored easily, got to have them working in the big stores where it is all hustle and bustle.

posted on Dec, 19 2022 @ 06:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Not necessarily for the better. Just heard on the news a local business is shuttering right after the holidays.

They're offering half off. On everything.

edit on 12/19/2022 by wavelength because: 50% sale

posted on Dec, 19 2022 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: wavelength

Not necessarily for the better.

Depends on how you look at it.

I'm 76 -- seen a lot of changes.

posted on Dec, 19 2022 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: NorthOfStuff

Sit down restaurants just might become a forgotten relic of the past like Drive In Movie Theaters. Still here and there but mostly gone.

posted on Dec, 19 2022 @ 06:24 PM
link   

I’ve been Xmas shopping several times this year and the stores have been extremely busy.
Not sure about the amount being spent but I saw lots of bags leaving the store.

posted on Dec, 19 2022 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Depends on how you look at it.

I'm 76 -- seen a lot of changes.

Of course. There are positive and negative changes everywhere in life.
People having to shutter their businesses, no matter the reason, is always sad. You can cry "adapt, adapt" all you want, but for long time business owners, it's not so easy.
edit on 12/19/2022 by wavelength because: fixed quote, oops

posted on Dec, 19 2022 @ 06:41 PM
link   
People are waking up faster than usual. They're sick and tired of being lied to and rooked. They've frick'n HAD IT !! 😎

posted on Dec, 19 2022 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I have work in a very well-loved Austin show right now that is usually extremely well attended and profitable. Aside from a few artists, most are very behind in sales right now even compared to last year. Attendance is down as well. I have had my best year yet, but this show is probably a bellwether for times to come, and I am not selling well at all. Most are doing poorly at this show, and this is Texas where I think we are weathering the economy fairly well.

It's interesting that some people think this is just a "change" in the times and economy. Talk about blinders...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join