It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grocery Check

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2022 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

As of right now, I don’t believe it is cheaper to buy from a rancher (with all cost including processing, hanging weight etc) than it is from Costco.

Costcos beef section is incredible for quality.
Sams club has some good prices too.

When those two places are more than a butcher, we are in trouble.

Chicken is another story. I don’t like how chicken is processed/wrapped in those places.
Pork too.

posted on Dec, 13 2022 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Local, grass fed, zero hormone, grain finished, cut and wrapped beef for $4.00 lbs!!!

All of it...half and whole beef...

Local is a great way to save money on the meats you consume!

posted on Dec, 13 2022 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Prices aren't as bad around here compared to what some of ya'll are reporting, but even a small grocery run for essentials (soups, milk and juice, eggs and cereal) can run us upwards of $40 for four small bags of supplies.

Milk is pretty consistent, and eggs are still reasonable (that's probably because we have a lot of chicken farms in the region), juice is a bit pricey but the rest of our diet is pretty low end and inexpensive fare.

Veggies can be pricey depending on how exotic you want to get and potatoes are freqeuntly sold out.

edit on 12/13/22 by GENERAL EYES because: minor dyslexia

posted on Dec, 13 2022 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Of course hunting is still a thing here in Oregon!

Deer and elk are plentiful and the hunting is great...and talk about healthy meat!

You can cut and wrap your own meat (if you know how) or there are plenty of butchers that'll process it for you for a couple buck a pound!

You'll need a gun though...so with the passing of measure 114 here in Oregon...if you don't already own one, you're screwed!

MEASURE 114

posted on Dec, 13 2022 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: jerryznv

Oh they have a plan for hunters too, that brain wasting disease!

posted on Dec, 13 2022 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Local, grass fed, zero hormone, grain finished, cut and wrapped beef for $4.00 lbs!!!

That is INDEED an amazing price. Unfortunately we don't see prices like that here.

posted on Dec, 13 2022 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

Oh they have a plan for hunters too, that brain wasting disease!

I've read about it...

Chronic wasting disease (CWD) is a prion disease that affects deer, elk, reindeer, sika deer and moose. It has been found in some areas of North America, including Canada and the United States, Norway and South Korea. It may take over a year before an infected animal develops symptoms, which can include drastic weight loss (wasting), stumbling, listlessness and other neurologic symptoms. CWD can affect animals of all ages and some infected animals may die without ever developing the disease. CWD is fatal to animals and there are no treatments or vaccines.

To date, there have been no reported cases of CWD infection in people. However, some animal studies suggest CWD poses a risk to certain types of non-human primates, like monkeys, that eat meat from CWD-infected animals or come in contact with brain or body fluids from infected deer or elk. These studies raise concerns that there may also be a risk to people. Since 1997, the World Health Organization has recommended that it is important to keep the agents of all known prion diseases from entering the human food chain.

BRAIN WASTING ANIMAL DISEASE

Doesn't seem like they're trying to scare people (yet)!!!

To date, there have been no reported cases of CWD infection in people.

posted on Dec, 13 2022 @ 11:46 AM
link   

When those two places are more than a butcher, we are in trouble.

Chicken is another story. I don’t like how chicken is processed/wrapped in those places.
Pork too.

Chicken and Pork are cheaper in the stores like Costco WinCo than from a farm by a good amount, but my recent grass feed cow was about 4.45 a pound X 300 lbs cut and wrapped. A year ago it was like 3.75 a pound.

2.70 per pound hanging wt. 400lbs to rancher
65 dollars butcher 1/2 cow
.65 cents per pound of 300 lbs cut and wrapped to butcher

edit on 13-12-2022 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2022 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Bad all around. Working in retail, I can see the prices going up and up. I also notice how people are buying less and waiting until sales to really stock up on groceries. I got chewed out the other day by a woman complaining how expensive stuff is now in the store. I have no control over that m'dear. I don't make much money either. We're in the same boat.

The quality of stuff is getting bad as well. Meat is going bad earlier as is the produce. It's not uncommon to find fruits going moldy a day or two after buying and the taste is just not great either. The stuff is too damned expensive now for that kind of wastage.

posted on Dec, 13 2022 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Guess Costco is joining the club.
They are now raising their membership fees.

posted on Dec, 13 2022 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Subrosabelow

The quality of stuff is getting bad as well. Meat is going bad earlier as is the produce. It's not uncommon to find fruits going moldy a day or two after buying and the taste is just not great either. The stuff is too damned expensive now for that kind of wastage.

I know not all places do this but I know that one of the stores by me does.
They are repackaging older food and reselling it.
I’m a person that cooks a lot from scratch, I grow a lot, and just know the age of foods by looks or smells.
I know they are doing this with some meats and baked goods too.
I would never trust prepacked deli meats.

posted on Dec, 13 2022 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Guess Costco is joining the club.
They are now raising their membership fees.

They are...eventually...but as of today they haven't yet!

In short, a membership-fee increase is coming and will likely be here early next year. This is great news for Costco shareholders.

Costco fees

I'm hardly surprised though...everyone else has!

edit on 13-12-2022 by jerryznv because: Random

posted on Dec, 13 2022 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I am already on the Hutterite train for farm fresh chickens.

a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

posted on Dec, 13 2022 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subrosabelow
Bad all around. Working in retail, I can see the prices going up and up. I also notice how people are buying less and waiting until sales to really stock up on groceries. I got chewed out the other day by a woman complaining how expensive stuff is now in the store. I have no control over that m'dear. I don't make much money either. We're in the same boat.

Someone in my family recently reported their milk has been spoiling much faster than usual. This was in Virginia. Same brand they always got, but it would spoil twice as fast as usual.
The prices everywhere I've been have been high to ridiculous. The food quality I've experienced around here personally has remained good, but the prices have not.

posted on Dec, 13 2022 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Something is definitely going on with the food supply. Milk goes bad faster. Fruit goes bad faster.

I haven't noticed too many shortages. I think it's stores being shorthanded, therefore they're unable to stock the shelves.

I'm more concerned about the quality of the food than the quantity. We definitely aren't getting the best produce anymore.

One more thing - since Kroger took over the variety at my local store had been for sh*t. They eliminated a lot of really good stuff.
edit on 12/13/2022 by Creep Thumper because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2022 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I drove around to the back of Walmart a few days ago. Dumpsters full of food.

Throw it away rather than lower the price when the expiration date is near. It's this way at all grocery stores. Consumers be damned....

Waste is a large part of the price of food.
edit on 14-12-2022 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2022 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
I drove around to the back of Walmart a few days ago. Dumpsters full of food.

Throw it away rather than lower the price when the expiration date is near. It's this way at all grocery stores. Consumers be damned....

Waste is a large part of the price of food.

My aunt use to dumpster dive many decades ago getting things just outside of expiration dates. The funny part was her husband was a CEO.

posted on Dec, 14 2022 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I secretly hope that this backfires on tptb and families draw closer together and begin adopting a more traditional composition.

I also hope that multi generational households make a comeback. Mum learns from Gran, Dad works and Grandpa looks after and out for the grandkids...

It doesn’t matter how little money is generated. Prices will reduce because, at the end of the day, it is about market share.

This is my prayer to the ancient of days and my fervent desire.

posted on Dec, 14 2022 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Dude. Your diet sux and your convenience is killing your country.

a reply to: shaemac

posted on Dec, 14 2022 @ 01:24 PM
link   
You underestimate societies tolerance for hardship and aversion to change.

The elite still appease the mob with bread and circuses.

a reply to: dandandat2

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join