It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The poor will freeze to death in the UK.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2022 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: NorthOfStuff

it's been like that in Brighton, which to be is partly made of Bungaroosh, or a unique variety of mud that can't get to wet or too dry.. it moves when wet or crumbles when dry.. there was an old expression that it'd take one good hosing to wash Brighton away.. awful when its cold and wet outside as its cold and wet inside..

posted on Aug, 16 2022 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Oldcarpy2

the Lewes avalanche in the early 1800s is still the most deadly.. hard to imagine the south downs or ouse valley having that legacy even now.. but it does illustrate how cold it can get.. I've often drunk at the snowdrop in which was built on the spot.

www.historic-uk.com...

posted on Aug, 16 2022 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Oldcarpy2

I wish my school milk was frozen. They used to keep the bottles near the heater in the classroom and it was disgustingly warm. Still not a big fan of milk to this day.

What sort of alternate heating options are available to you folks if things get very cold?

posted on Aug, 16 2022 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I've always got enough money for smoking, booze, scratch cards, MaccyD's, and stupid dogs. But not enough to pay my energy bills.

A true crisis. What am I gonna do!!!!

posted on Aug, 16 2022 @ 12:02 PM
link   

lol, its the only time i didn't want the silver tops..

posted on Aug, 16 2022 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: nickyw

Thanks. I'd not heard about that!

posted on Aug, 16 2022 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Wow, mud, I had no idea!

Any insulation in the homes?

posted on Aug, 16 2022 @ 12:10 PM
link   

We used to have gold top milk at infants School school and the blue tits used to peck the tops off to get the cream on top.

Ah! Milk breaks with a Lincoln biccie!

In the days before the Milk Snatcher took that away, of course.

posted on Aug, 16 2022 @ 12:11 PM
link   

That's interesting stuff and i can see class and tribe being rooted together. My point was that while much is in flux over long time periods that super rich 1% have always been perched atop; that's the squabbling below that echelon provides a firewall protection. That those very few at the top - the upper class - are the ancestors of the most privileged, or ruthless tribes of long ago makes perfect sense.

Btw, if it sounds like an americanised viewpoint i'll take that as a compliment, but i'm a British mongrel; Scottish, English and Irish born and bread in London. Sometimes what appears to be over simplification is the benefit of a broader perspective.

posted on Aug, 16 2022 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: baggy7981

Had a Big Mac the other day, first for ages.

What's happened to them?

Was tiny!

Didn't they used to be 2 quarters pounders? This was like a regular double cheeseburger.

Harrumph.

We should have a Grumpy Old Man forum.

Oh. That would not be very gender inclusive....

posted on Aug, 16 2022 @ 12:22 PM
link   

none at all the walls are shuttered and held together (sort of) with lime, sometimes its hard to imagine how many imposing 3 story regency buildings in Brighton are made of rubble, dirt and lime as a dodge to avoid the brick tax.

History shows the rich always looking for ways to avoid paying taxes.

posted on Aug, 16 2022 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: McGinty

it was never meant as an offence I like the way the Americans tried to broaden that band while we are stuck with a system that still biases one tribe to the exclusion of all others.

posted on Aug, 16 2022 @ 12:53 PM
link   

No offence was taken - i was just being a smart ass (how's that for americanised
)

posted on Aug, 16 2022 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: baggy7981
I've always got enough money for smoking, booze, scratch cards, MaccyD's, and stupid dogs. But not enough to pay my energy bills.

A true crisis. What am I gonna do!!!!

Who knows? Hopefully you hit one of those scratch cards. Buy more!

posted on Aug, 16 2022 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: anonentity

Been saying the same thing for a long time now.....we're no closer to achieving it.

People have been indoctrinated into believing everything is about profit.

Not satisfied with selling off the family silver they have been running the NHS into the ground whilst trying to introduce private health care though the back door.
And there has been serially underfunding of the police.

Its almost enough to make me believe there may be some truth in all the WEF/NWO/Bilderberger or whatever is flavour of the month conspiracy theories. 😉🤣🤣

posted on Aug, 16 2022 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: anonentity

Check out The Ridley Plan.
Not just the wiki article, go in depth.
Now there is a comnspiracy that was planned and carried out exactly as planned....and its #ed us.

Many people resented the great strides forward achieved post-WWII and they've tried ever since to claw those advances back.

The glass ceiling that discriminates against the majority of people in the UK is stronger than ever, this country will never reach its true potential until its smashed.

posted on Aug, 16 2022 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: AaarghZombies

.....and the people who live in the colder parts tend to have backup heating such as fireplaces or oil burning Stoves.

Err.....no, we don't.
What makes you think that?

For those commenting on Thatcher:
Common ground for lots of us it would seem.
I lived through all of her government and experienced the worst of it first hand....she was not a nice person.

posted on Aug, 16 2022 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Most coal or woodburning fires were removed from houses years ago.

New builds won't have them unless its a big posh house.

posted on Aug, 16 2022 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Yes the well to do have an AGA dahling.

posted on Aug, 16 2022 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: nickyw
a reply to: Randyvine2

the problem is our clothing and houses are not geared up for hot or cold if this winter is colder than normal it will impact the vulnerable elderly or young.. most no longer even have fireplaces and those that do I doubt will have been cleaned in the last decade..

we are a complacent society there is talk of rationing electric and gas but neither will work as we're not geared up for it as a society.. you can't shut off the gas or electric in a meaningful way as there is no fall over capability at any level.. plus health and safety gone mad mean they'd have to check all pipes, connections & appliances where gas safe before turning the gas on again..

This is a good take on it. Homes are not set up with proper insulation or with proper self heating systems (fireplaces or wood stoves). Unfortunately - the OP is correct - many people will die due to making bad decisions. Whether it be CO2 issues, fire or flat out freezing.

I would reccomend that anyone living in the UK purchase a top quality camping sleeping bag. They have some that will make you sweat in negative temps.

I feel bad for the people impacted over there. When I grew up I did not have heat at all in my room. The north eastern USA gets absolutely frigid in the winter. It is hard to feel comfortable. Good luck.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join