It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The poor will freeze to death in the UK.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Aug, 15 2022 @ 04:03 AM
link   
It seems there is no real energy crisis in the UK but the bills have skyrocketed to such an extent people won't be able to pay them, that is the pure and simple truth. Theirs nothing like corporate greed on this scale in any of the historical records. Many can't afford to live in their own country anymore. They do a direct debit system where they just take the energy bill out of your bank account when payment is due. Apparently, Australia is going down the same route. So we seem to see the plan playing out where with a compromised immune system and declining living standards a lot of elderly people on fixed incomes will not make it through the winter. Things are getting so bad that there is a call to stop the direct debit system and make a million people protest to get the energy companies to reign in the stupid prices. I cant seem to embed this one www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 15 2022 @ 04:14 AM
link   
its pretty much self inflicted by those wanting to pander to ideological activists we see that with the claim of drought in the SE which sits on top of a massive aquifer and more oil and gas than extracted out of the north and south north seas..

the irony is the rules rather than needs limit how much water can be extracted from the aquifer to fill the reservoirs i the same way those blocking the water extraction, block oil and gas extraction and have done for near 100 years..

when the issues hit and they will this winter first blame is on the gov the next is on the activist nimbys it'll not play well for the cons but also not for labour, liberals and greens going for the nimby votes to topple the cons.. as they all place themselves in the camp of supporting pain and suffering for the greater good..

the convergence of crises come winter will in my opinion forge a new reformation and a bigger push towards popular sovereignty.. no political party have positioned themselves as the leveller party..

posted on Aug, 15 2022 @ 04:15 AM
link   
a reply to: anonentity

Well its not often we agree anonentity, but you could be right about a lot of frozen dead pensioners should the government not do something about the increases in energy cost whilst some of the dirty bastard power companies are experiencing record profits.

To be honest, if i was the pensioner, with an old meter, i would simply have the meter rigged rather than freeze for they bastards.

As TPTB are not likely to jail old sods if caught, and if they did well that's free lecky, gas, 3 meals a day, and access to the gym.

Fact of the matter we treat our prisoners better in a lot of respects than we do our pensioners, sad but very true.
edit on 15-8-2022 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2022 @ 04:21 AM
link   

There is no defence for the greedy filthy oil/energy companies utter scum

But

Direct debits are not mandatory and can be simply cancelled by the user at any point

The country is currently in limbo thanks to boris and his partying and also it’s the MPs holidays....you know like children get except the MPs get longer

posted on Aug, 15 2022 @ 04:28 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

as a child of the 70s my concern lies more with the extremes people will go to keep warm, bbq's indoors etc risk of fire, injury and carbon monoxide poisoning over death by freezing in the young and old..

I was so cold in the mid 70s I just could not get close enough to be warm and ended up sitting on the fire i knew a girl who had a nylon nighty and it caught fire and melted to her body, am sure many others from the 70s know similar stories, converting spirt burners to heaters and burning poisonous alcohol.

if I do anything else pre winter it'll be to get my kids portable carbon monoxide alarms.. i already have portable gas heaters and camping heaters incase they do northing prewinter to fix the issues..

posted on Aug, 15 2022 @ 04:31 AM
link   
a reply to: UpThenDown

That's true UpThenDown however whilst not mandatory a lot of those power companies attempt to bend over backward to rope the poor sods into setting up direct debits and will tell their customers all sorts of #.

Take for instance the old line "It lets our customers build up credit during the summer months when power usage is lower, so it spreads out the cost of using more energy in the winter months".

I get two letters a month from "Bulb" telling me i don't have a direct debit set up and wishing me to do so, well computer says no on that score. LoL

posted on Aug, 15 2022 @ 04:33 AM
link   
a reply to: UpThenDown

if there is one element that is broken its the DD and has been for years in terms of over charging I'm always in credit by upto £1500 because of the way they estimate..

for the gov that would be a simple and profound fix especially for the elderly and young even the ability to defer payments or payments holiday would make a huge difference to the vulnerable but no we are stuck wit a system that overcharges and always has..

posted on Aug, 15 2022 @ 04:34 AM
link   
a reply to: nickyw

I was not born till 1975 but i remember the old paraffin heaters in the 80s, just about everybody had one, or a few of those in their homes back then.

They could be dangerous though, up there with chip pans, if memory serves.

posted on Aug, 15 2022 @ 04:42 AM
link   

its all dangerous in the wrong hands but I fear that'll be made worse by people cold and desperate, i've only made preps because i never want to be that cold again, I fear many garden heaters, bbqs, oil burners will be used inside if the gov do nothing to stave off these self imposed crises.

posted on Aug, 15 2022 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Need must perfectly illustrated nickyw.

People will do what they have to do to survive.

And considering the number of pensioners and poor people that are housed in the likes of multistory flats, there is the next Grenfell Tower scenario right there come November.

posted on Aug, 15 2022 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Wow I knew it got cold in England but I thought if one were inside
with blankets one wouldn't freeze to death? It gets that cold?
Really?

posted on Aug, 15 2022 @ 04:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Randyvine2

I'm in Scotland mate where it can become considerably colder, but England gets its fair share of bad weather also.

Cold enough to kill vulnerable pensioners, blankets or otherwise, where Hypothermia can set in without them even realizing sometimes.

posted on Aug, 15 2022 @ 04:59 AM
link   

you've pinpointed my fears exactly if not here then it will happen somewhere when it gets cold

posted on Aug, 15 2022 @ 05:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

I'm in Scotland mate where it can become considerably colder, but England gets its fair share of bad weather also.

Cold enough to kill vulnerable pensioners, blankets or otherwise, where Hypothermia can set in without them even realizing sometimes.

People over the age of 65 need the room temperature to be at least 68F. If they can't maintain that, hypothermia can occur quite quickly.

posted on Aug, 15 2022 @ 05:10 AM
link   

the problem is our clothing and houses are not geared up for hot or cold if this winter is colder than normal it will impact the vulnerable elderly or young.. most no longer even have fireplaces and those that do I doubt will have been cleaned in the last decade..

we are a complacent society there is talk of rationing electric and gas but neither will work as we're not geared up for it as a society.. you can't shut off the gas or electric in a meaningful way as there is no fall over capability at any level.. plus health and safety gone mad mean they'd have to check all pipes, connections & appliances where gas safe before turning the gas on again..

posted on Aug, 15 2022 @ 05:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: UpThenDown

There is no defence for the greedy filthy oil/energy companies utter scum

But

Direct debits are not mandatory and can be simply cancelled by the user at any point

The country is currently in limbo thanks to boris and his partying and also it’s the MPs holidays....you know like children get except the MPs get longer

Oh. I see. This "energy crisis" is the energy companies' fault.

Not anything to do with geopolitics.

Not anything to do with Biden and Putin.

You've been feasting on the MSM narrative I see.

All of this doom and gloom projection regarding Europe's energy outlook, particularly in the upcoming winter months, has been a staple of the discourse here for many months. It seems there has been a kernel of truth embedded in the "Russian propaganda".

My view is that this COVID interlude military conflict will be wrapped up and tidied away in time for the next bout of pandemimania during the cold months. If I'm wrong, and this conflict has legs....I wonder if the Ukrainian flags begin dissipating from window sills here in the West, once the time comes to put our money where our mouths have been.

posted on Aug, 15 2022 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Here you go. There was an = sign that prevented embedding.

Yes, I remember in the 80s, living in a temp residence in Manchester. Very old building that just wouldn't warm up. No central heating, just an electric fire. The electric bill was almost as much as the rent in those few winter months.

posted on Aug, 15 2022 @ 05:54 AM
link   
I was cold last winter at times and had to put a coat on indoors. It will be worse this winter I'm sure.

This crisis has been manufactured with oil and gas companies and money men making enormous profits. The individual energy suppliers are struggling to maintain their profit margins as their prices are government capped. The only real answer to this and all the other insanity plaguing our lives lies with our politicians. Said politicians however are not and never have been fit for purpose. People rant about the likes of Soros, Gates and their ilk but I'm not fussed about them. Everything lies at the door of our politicians. All the nonsense could be stopped in a heartbeat with real people in power.

posted on Aug, 15 2022 @ 06:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

I was not born till 1975 but i remember the old paraffin heaters in the 80s, just about everybody had one, or a few of those in their homes back then.

They could be dangerous though, up there with chip pans, if memory serves.

I was playing Blind Man's Bluff at my Grandparents and planted my chin on the top of a paraffin heater so yep, I remember them very well.
Used to love the smell though.

edit on 15-8-2022 by Cymru because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2022 @ 06:06 AM
link   
a reply to: SleeperHasAwakened

Errr ok sure I have been feasting on MSM

Let me correct myself

Dam you Biden it’s all your fault, nothing to do with the record profits announced by the energy companies

Dam you Biden !!!!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join