It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kids Today...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2022 @ 08:55 AM
link   
...are the doctors, engineers, and care-givers (etc) of tomorrow. Thus, even if one, by choice or circumstance, has no little humans in one's care, the impetus still is there to ensure the healthy and proper growth of our youth. From my (admittedly limited) perspective, the age group which has suffered the worst and longest-term effects of the last few years were about 3 when life ground to a stop and we were all told to sacrifice health and learning for the greater good. A friend of mine who works at my son's elementary school has been punched, kicked, and spit on by three different kindergarteners who, on any given day, can be seen roaming the halls of the school because they leave the room and the teacher locks them out (I'm not kidding.) I think kids my son's age also suffered, but at least had a baseline of socialization to work with before the restriction of social engagements and education.
Kids, a bit older, who have been the fodder for political warfare for the past 10 years or so are just now entering the workforce. I've heard a lot of opposition to the indoctrination of our kids on this site, but aside from using the most ridiculous examples to score political points, what can be done? Parents labeled racist domestic terrorists for their efforts could use some support from the community. Aunties, uncles, and mentors are always in need. "Kids today" are a product of the previous generations and the current zeitgeist, and none of us are off the hook when it comes to manbuns and millennials. Pretty much any generation would have faced the same difficulties balancing life and technology given identical circumstances.
Kids today (the ones who haven't been totally wrecked by limiting social and developmental activities) are actually pretty amazing
I hope some of you who read this consider reaching out to the local youth; the whole community will benefit from your efforts.
www.parents.com...
Have a good day, friends!
edit on 25-4-2022 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2022 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

I know teachers that teach different age ranges and professors.

I think the kids/teens that were juniors and seniors are the ones with the most profound issues.
Some colleges are having trouble dealing with it. That age group is already emotional from having to leave
Home for the first time, but now it has been compounded with the pandemic and all the anxiety from that.
They also did not get the “college experience” they dreamed of. Emotionally stunted is the word they are using, and I’m sure that could be said for most kids these days.

I think the children that are 3-4ish might not remember a lot the more we go back to normal.
Now children that are 8-12, that will be interesting. This will be the group to watch. In some cultures the age of 8 is when a person really becomes themselves.

I wanted to add, and this is sad. I think during the pandemic a lot of parents realized they do not like their own kids. They got to see first hand what little &&^*%% they are. I hope for most they took the time to work on some of the issues. I feel sorry for a lot of teachers today.
edit on 25-4-2022 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2022 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

As much as I dislike Hillary Clinton she said something that was true but everyone hated her so much they didn’t want to admit it.

It takes a village. Nowhere is that sentiment more beautiful than Japan. This show is all about tiny little children, some under THREE going on a mile walk running errands for their parents. The difference is that they have a village taking care of them a long the way, so in essence a lot of other pseudo parents.

Of course that would never work in the US, we are far too fractured. Sadhguru touched on this topic. Homogenous societies have a lot of benefits, (everyone looks like me, we feel a deeper family connection etc) However none of that is pc to say these days.

When I think about a 2 year old running an errand in the US alone only terrible things come to mind. People would kidnap, people would call the police on the parents, people would call the police on the child. Heck, it is not even legal for kids to stay home alone under 12 in some state.
edit on 25-4-2022 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2022 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
I wanted to add, and this is sad. I think during the pandemic a lot of parents realized they do not like their own kids. They got to see first hand what little &&^*%% they are. I hope for most they took the time to work on some of the issues. I feel sorry for a lot of teachers today.

Spending nearly every day in a confined space and not interacting with others socially can easily lead to all types of interpersonal issues including wanting to throw your offspring down a well.

posted on Apr, 25 2022 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Spending nearly every day in a confined space and not interacting with others socially can easily lead to all types of interpersonal issues including wanting to throw your offspring down a well.

Not just kids, look how many people got, or are getting divorces or broke up.
I think it showed that people are willing to tolerate others in small doses.

posted on Apr, 25 2022 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Not just kids, look how many people got, or are getting divorces or broke up.
I think it showed that people are willing to tolerate others in small doses.

If I had to spend 2 years straight with Jesus or Gandhi I'd probably want to end up murdering them too.

posted on Apr, 25 2022 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Darn kidz won't get off my lawn!

Sorry somebody had to say it. We were all thinking it.
I think it's a story as old as humanity some people get the creeps when looking at what follows them, it's in part probably the thought 'and these punks will replace me'?
Reality is there's always good and bad. It also wasn't fun growing up with the Cold War scare, the ozone hole or with the trauma of 9/11 and exploding night clubs.
The only thing that worries me a lot is how #ing serious social media is to so many of them, how it amplifies the pain of the hormonal stage, and the isolation maybe showed more of them that online contact is just really not the same. You know a hard lesson as blessing in disguise kind of.
Only time can tell.
edit on 25-4-2022 by Peeple because: whale whole hole

posted on Apr, 25 2022 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Although the lockdowns definitely affected the kids of all ages in different ways, I believe the thing that will have the longest lasting affect will be the general reactions of their parents.

I grew up in a poor household and the word eviction was regularly tossed about as a real possibility. That anxiety has never left me and although I’m able to function just fine and have a great life and in many ways am living the American Dream (wife, kids, house, etc)…. I’ve come to terms with the fact that part of me will always be nervous, worried that the other shoe might drop.

Back to the point…. I think that the kids who have parents that are absolutely terrified by Covid will have the biggest challenges. I’m talking about the kids I see even now, in a park, outside, nowhere near anybody else wearing masks (along with their masked parents)…. Those are the kids that will have lifelong issues.

Even after they grow up and learn about what was going on now and how they, themselves really weren’t in any danger, that fear and anxiety will still live in the back of their minds forever.

Love is important to children but feeling safe is of equal significance.

posted on Apr, 25 2022 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Hey JAG, thanks for a thoughtful and interesting response. I agree that people right on the cusp of adulthood (seniors in high school, freshmen in college-ish) suffered greatly. Missing out on such huge milestones as prom, high school graduation, sporting events for the athletes, dating, etc would really take its toll. Depression reported among NCAA athletes was at an alarming high during the early pandemic.
I also know that there are key development points which, if missed, can result in permanent disabilities. An extreme example is Genie Wiley who was deprived of any human interaction from birth to 12 years old and who was never able to develop functioning language, but a year or two of deprivation will also surely take its toll.
www.verywellmind.com...
Anyway, great posts. I also agree with the importance of being a village for the kids and that it really does take cooperation from the community to raise well adjusted and independent citizens.
edit on 25-4-2022 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2022 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: zosimov
Anyway, great posts. I also agree with the importance of being a village for the kids...

What about being a village idiot for the kids? I got that part covered.

And check yo' PM's.

posted on Apr, 25 2022 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

This is a great point. I think it's been a well documented response in prison type settings, but that maybe we took it for granted that it wouldn't happen in more comfortable settings or with people we love. I think we're all healthier with outside stimuli; even minor annoyances or problems serve their purpose in our development.

Nice talking to you btw.

posted on Apr, 25 2022 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

Great points about previous generations and respective problems, and also about the effects of social media. That and having such access to highly addictive tech really worries me too. I'm also sure that the factors you brought up (the pain of the hormonal stage/isolation) have a huge impact on development.
Thanks for adding your thoughts

posted on Apr, 25 2022 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

Yes, agreed that the fear part of the equation is just as significant (if not more) than that which I mentioned. I especially like your last line about the importance of feeling safe to a kid's overall wellbeing.

posted on Jun, 28 2022 @ 11:43 AM
link   

It takes a village. Nowhere is that sentiment more beautiful than Japan. This show is all about tiny little children, some under THREE going on a mile walk running errands for their parents. The difference is that they have a village taking care of them a long the way, so in essence a lot of other pseudo parents.

Of course that would never work in the US, we are far too fractured. Sadhguru touched on this topic. Homogenous societies have a lot of benefits, (everyone looks like me, we feel a deeper family connection etc) However none of that is pc to say these days.

When I was growing up, I'd be out of the house playing on my own at 3 or 4 basically all day. I was born in '61, so this was in the mid sixty's. I'd come home for lunch if/when I got hungry, but that is it. My parents never knew where we were...

I can't even remotely imagine letting my kids (4 and 7) do that, not even in my worst nightmares...

My Mom talks about how insane it seems to do it now, but how normal it was back then.

join