It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hypocrites only support free speech and protest when it matches their narratives

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2022 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Protests are always inherently risky in that you have a large groups of people who are upset over something which is why they are there. For that reason, they always have the chance of spilling over in to riots. There's a reason why the COTUS mentions "peaceably assemble" when it addresses the issue.

BLM was not peaceably assembled in many cases no matter how peaceful it all started out. You can't call it peaceful when the final bill runs into the millions for hapless business owners and their insurances.

Similarly, the Jan. 6th protests also tipped over. However, it was far less costly. Nancy may have needed a new podium, but no one burned anything down, and the only death was one of the protesters shot by Capitol Police. The others died of unrelated causes.

posted on Feb, 5 2022 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Madviking

Fantastic OP Viking!

The squirming should be fun!

posted on Feb, 5 2022 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: MiddleInsite
I see you conveniently left out January 6th riots at the Capitol.

Now what were you saying about hypocrites?

How did this post receive any stars?

Poster clearly did not read the OP and blatantly missed the thread author's inclusion of Jan 6th riot as part of his wider point.

"Deny Ignorance"

posted on Feb, 5 2022 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ghostsdogood

Fantastic OP Viking!

The squirming should be fun!

Thanks! Ha, we may need a trigger warning on the thread, and create a safe space forum or menu option to remove uncomfortable, "fascist" speech.

posted on Feb, 5 2022 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: SleeperHasAwakened

originally posted by: MiddleInsite
I see you conveniently left out January 6th riots at the Capitol.

Now what were you saying about hypocrites?

How did this post receive any stars?

Poster clearly did not read the OP and blatantly missed the thread author's inclusion of Jan 6th riot as part of his wider point.

"Deny Ignorance"

Probably got to the section on 2020 protests and covid and went ballistic, lol.
edit on 5-2-2022 by Madviking because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2022 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Protests are always inherently risky in that you have a large groups of people who are upset over something which is why they are there. For that reason, they always have the chance of spilling over in to riots. There's a reason why the COTUS mentions "peaceably assemble" when it addresses the issue.

BLM was not peaceably assembled in many cases no matter how peaceful it all started out. You can't call it peaceful when the final bill runs into the millions for hapless business owners and their insurances.

Similarly, the Jan. 6th protests also tipped over. However, it was far less costly. Nancy may have needed a new podium, but no one burned anything down, and the only death was one of the protesters shot by Capitol Police. The others died of unrelated causes.

Right, that's much of the reason this dichotomy bothers me. I get many of the arguments about police brutality and the prison-industrial complex. The latter is real. So it's not that I'm against every view of the BLM camp, although I have questions about the organization itself.

But, certainly, many of the 2020 George Floyd "protests" weren't peaceful by any means. And, the January 6th Capitol incursion was foolish, and yes there is an additional factor of the institution and setting during election certification, but, it wasn't in "insurrection" or violent like they are saying.

FBI Director Wray claimed this week he's treating Jan 6th protestors no different than Antifa and BLM. That's simply not true, and is exactly what this thread is about. With only a few exceptions (Two lawyers convicted of firebombing police in NYC for example), most of the 2020 rioters were either not charged at all, let out on no cash bail, or charges dropped.

2020 NYC rioters charges dropped

Hundreds of alleged looters and rioters busted last year in protests over George Floyd’s murder by police have had their charges dropped, according to NYPD data — figures ripped as “disgusting” by a local business owner.

In The Bronx — which saw fires in the street and mass looting in June 2020 — more than 60 percent of arrestees have had charges dropped, according to the investigation by NBC New York.

Seventy-three of the 118 people arrested in the borough had their cases shelved altogether, another 19 were convicted on lesser counts like trespassing, which carries no jail time, the report said.

This happened in Portland, Oregon too where the longest riots occured including into 2021.
Majority of Portland Federal charges dropped

How do you only have 91 charges after 9 months of riots and attacks on federal buildings and officers?

posted on Feb, 5 2022 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Oh you don't. There is no question that this is a legal double standard. Even now, there is some question that the right to a speedy and fair trial is questionable too where the Jan. 6th group is concerned.

As to the reason they were protesting, there is every reason to believe that election laws were either not constitutional or violated in some places. Whether or not this had anything to do with the outcome of the election is unknown, but given that certain laws in certain states have since been legally invalidated by courts ... well, it doesn't look like the Jan. 6th group was that insane to think things were not exactly on the up and up with the election.

I have questions myself and have actually never referred to Biden as president. I'm not sure he is in more ways than one.

But honestly, a lot of the what went down Jan. 6th could have been allayed by actual serious investigations of the sort that went on after Bush/Gore, but instead, since they won, the Democrats were determined this should not happen, and powerful interests felt it best to back them.
edit on 5-2-2022 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2022 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Sadly with the conglomeration of tech companies, and the infrastructure we use to communicate, I only see this getting worse.

We've already seen deep dives in people's past to get fodder for character assassination. It's as if we're denied the passage of a human experience. A shared path where we all make mistakes along the way but hopefully grow. Instead, we see barely offensive quotes pulled from a decade ago to smear all the accomplishments of someone merely because they're disagreeable to some.

I'm sure many of the old guard are happy to see themselves out given the trajectory... I'm certainly not excited for the future ahead.

Maybe a primative self sustaining cabin isn't a bad hedge.

posted on Feb, 5 2022 @ 09:47 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

That's the new religion of woke though. You don't accomplish for yourself; instead, you discredit what someone else has done and achieved for themselves by finding the dirt in their past and dragging them through the mud. Assassinate their character and you can feel good about never having actually done a thing yourself.

posted on Feb, 5 2022 @ 09:51 PM
link   

That only applies to some people obviously.

posted on Feb, 6 2022 @ 01:10 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

A lot of it isn't even really dirt or mud.

If someone could word search everything we've said when we don't broadcast it to the world, we'd all be dead to rights.

I mean, I suppose the simple act of making it public is reflective of judgment of the person... But at the end of the day, what's it really matter?

A lot of the things said in the grand scheme of things aren't really that bad. We measure what's said with a far greatest weight than the intent behind the person. God forbid someone be at 75% one day and choose their words in a way that doesn't truly articulate what they are trying to convey.
edit on 6-2-2022 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2022 @ 01:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

That only applies to some people obviously.

Yup, and it's a slowly expanding net.

I don't see how we walk this back either. Many of these companies have grown so quickly while convincing people they're intrigal, they've become ingrained to the global economy.

here's an interesting site that compares tech companies' market cap to countries' GDP.

I find it hard to imagine they don't have as much pull as countries when it comes to geopolitical interests. Hell, the very way everyone operates has been molded around the smartphone.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join