It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Anti-Defamation League Changed The Definition Of Racism

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2022 @ 03:49 PM
link   
roflmao the definition is now racist against Whites 🤓

this will embolden the "wrong" violent people now won't it 🤓

posted on Jan, 29 2022 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm
A lotta angry white people incoming. But let me stress they are just coincidentally white and that's not why they are angry about this.

But?

Whatabout?

The 14th Amendment !!!!🤣🤣🥥

posted on Jan, 29 2022 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Hecate666

It's not a load of crap. How were black people denied the vote when this country was founded. Was it based on race? No, it was based on a prevailing notion that black people were not human, only less then human. There is no racism involved if we consider ourselves better or higher than monkeys. White people considered themselves human and considered black people as monkeys. Denying that the US was built on the idea of white supremacy where white people could vote and black people could be owned is simply modern day baloney.

posted on Jan, 29 2022 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

That's nonsense.
Its not about being afraid to be 'scrutinized', its about the deliberate forcing of an ideological agenda on people by whatever means possible.

No-one is denying that racism exists.
No-one is denying that there has/is systemic racism against black people.

But this is denying that black people can be racist.
It is forcing the ideological opinion that only white people can be racist.

Firstly that is wrong - its absolute bollocks.
Secondly, this is an example of language being altered to suit an ideology.

Languages grow and change over time.
But this is a case of an academic elite trying to use and manipulate language in order to further their agenda....and it is based on a fundamental falsehood; that only one race - the white 'race' - can think itself superior or better than other races.

Have you honestly never met a Black/Asian or anyone other than a White person who thinks they are inherently superior to people of another race?

edit on 29/1/22 by Freeborn because: grammar

posted on Jan, 29 2022 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

By definition by ADL. What are Slavic/Slavs? are they also not white? Greeks? Greeks had being slaves to. And being owned by the Ottoman Empire.
By ADL logic its ok to be racist towards the Slavs and polish?

ADL's point makes no sense.
edit on 29-1-2022 by vNex92 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2022 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Much of what you say is true....but not relevant here.

What is happening here is an attempt to indoctrinate people into believing that only white people can be racist....and that simply isn't true.
And this stems from a very small academic elite who are trying to force an ideology on people....and much of that ideology is based on falsehoods like this.

posted on Jan, 29 2022 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker
I saw an interesting post on reddit that I had to look into. Appears it is true.

These crazed Progressive organizations are really turning up the propaganda on all this crap aren't they?

Their previous definition for racism:

“Racism is the belief that a particular race is superior or inferior to another, that a person’s social and moral traits are predetermined by his or her inborn biological characteristics. Racial separatism is the belief, most of the time based on racism, that different races should remain segregated and apart from one another.”

I didn't believe it until I went to their webpage.

www.adl.org...

Racism: The marginalization and/or oppression of people of color based on a socially constructed racial hierarchy that privileges white people.

Also related are the definitions of Race and Systemic Racism.

You guys are way behind the times.

The social justice warriors and progressives have been changing this definition for 10 years to one like the ADL.

"Racism is institutionalized power combined with prejudice and because only white people have such power, only they can be racist."

I of course disagree with this redefinition. And, even if that was the correct definition, it's absurd as other racial groups have power in other locations.

posted on Jan, 29 2022 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Wow, what a stupid response.

This is a common leftist response: "the fact that a white person, or male, is rejecting and critiquing discriminatory and hateful remarks or definitions, is PROOF that our remarks and theories are true. What you don't agree with being called the most evil race ever, or wrong because you are a white male? How dare you fascist?! WHITE FRAGILITY. SEE WE ARE RIGHT!"

This is called a Kafka Trap.

To use an analogy, Jewish people rejecting anti-semitic conspiracy theories or remarks is not proof that such statements are correct, nor should they have to accept being treated that way.

In no way, shape, or form is it "justice" or intelligent to expect people to take your brow beating and discriminatory remarks. That's abusive in fact. The very fact that people think white people should accept abusive statements is proof of discrimination and hatred on the part of those asserting such views. They have become everything they claim to fight.

A lotta angry white people incoming. But let me stress they are just coincidentally white and that's not why they are angry about this.

edit on 29-1-2022 by Madviking because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2022 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

This was changed in 2020

Not saying it isn't despicable and racist towards white people, just more wondering why it's news now.

Reddit is a cesspool of leftists. What are they trying to distract from now?

posted on Jan, 29 2022 @ 04:23 PM
link   
It's not just Reddit and ADL. This view of racism is pushed across academia, government, and non-profits. I know, I work in all of these.

posted on Jan, 29 2022 @ 04:24 PM
link   

White people considered themselves human and considered black people as monkeys.

Mahatma Gandhi lived and worked in South Africa for a lot of years.
He thought that Black people were sub-human and literally little better than apes.

That is an opinion that is still prevalent in people originating from the sub-Continent and the Middle-East.

Is that not racist?

posted on Jan, 29 2022 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire
The definition of racism has not been changed, it has been more clearly defined. Humans define things to help us understand them. The older definition of racism was not enough to truly understand it.

There was a time when there was no racism. Racism is dependent upon the understanding that people of all races are ''people'. The time before when there was no racism in western culture was when if one was not white, one was not human. One was less than human. One was merely an advanced form of animal.

We have known for a long time that racism has been built into the social structures and economic structures of nations and cultures. It's not new. In fact, the definition as pointed out in the OP was published almost two years ago.

I wonder just what it is about this expanded definition that seems to be raising hackles.

Because it's false, and a redefinition.

Easily demolished by basic critical thinking.

The new definition used by the ADL and progressives claims "only white people can be racist because only white people have power."

First, that's not true in other countries. Chinese have power in China, and are very racist. Etc etc. Already the definition has failed.

Second, there are black people with power in the US, such as Obama, a CEO, a mayor, etc. Therefore, they can project power and prejudice onto other people, and some do.

Thirdly, the left has presented this new redefinition, and in most debates claim that it's the ONLY definition of racism. Trust me, I've had these debates with many friends. So, the very discussion is intellectually dishonest.

posted on Jan, 29 2022 @ 04:34 PM
link   

White people considered themselves human and considered black people as monkeys.

Does that include all the white people who fought so passionately to end the trans-Atlantic slave trade? - lets face it, they didn't end slavery as it still exists today, pretty much as it always has and in nearly every single culture and civilization in one form or another.

Does it include all the white people who worked tirelessly within the Civil Rights movement?

Or the many from my generation who worked passionately to oppose the racism within our society?

Yes, some white people are racist.
So are some Black people.
So are some Asians.

Bollocks like this is setting back the war against racism decades.

edit on 29/1/22 by Freeborn because: grammar and clarity

posted on Jan, 29 2022 @ 04:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

Mahatma Gandhi lived and worked in South Africa for a lot of years.
He thought that Black people were sub-human and literally little better than apes.

That is an opinion that is still prevalent in people originating from the sub-Continent and the Middle-East.

Is that not racist?

Exactly, and in China where I lived they have power, and are extremely racist not just against black people, but even darker skinned Asians and Chinese. One example of many.

These young progressives, prove for not the first time, that they have limited understanding of human and global history.

posted on Jan, 29 2022 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Does that include all the white people who fought so passionately to end the trans-Atlantic slave trade? - lets face it, they didn't end slavery as it still exists today, pretty much as it always has and in nearly every single culture and civilization in one form or another.

Does it include all the white people who worked tirelessly within the Civil Rights movement?

Or the many from my generation who worked passionately to oppose the racism within our society?

Yes, some white people are racist.
So are some Black people.
So are some Asians.

Bollocks like this is setting back the war against racism decades.

And, the Islamic Middle East and North Africa slave trade is STILL in operation today, and has operated for about 1300 years. Why do so many social justice warriors ignore this? Does this not prove that yet again other groups can have power, use it, and be "systemically racist" against others?

posted on Jan, 29 2022 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Yes, though just because ''they'' does not mean it's ok for ''us''. And you summed up nicely concerns over how wording from institutions can be more than just an opening of a locked door that has prevented equality, that it can also be used if not properly guarded, as an open door to a reversal of racial bigotry.

posted on Jan, 29 2022 @ 04:47 PM
link   

a reply to: TzarChasm

Are you suggesting that only white people can be racist?

Do you think its ok to deliberately alter and manipulate the English language to further an ideological agenda?

I'm suggesting that a lot of white people are going to be very defensive because they don't like being scrutinized, and that's what it means when definitions are updated. Someone is surgically inspecting the elements of our culture and who is actually a victim and who is just pretending to be a victim because they have to share.

Total BS, you aren't the arbiter and judge of a whole race of people. Your ideologies are not the yardstick of our worth and history. Your ideologies are warped and biased.

It is incredibly arrogant and ideological of you, like many, to claim that you know the Truth about white people and racism, and your claims are the Truth (tm), that anyone critiqueing your universal truths can only be "defensive" and "fragile." Because you know the truth and the evil white people must be put in their place, they can never have legitimate critiques or defend themselves. According to people such as yourself the only appropriate response is submission and a penitent attitude.

Imagine telling Jewish people how evil they are, and how they are behind all oppression, then when they reject that you claim they are in the wrong.

Kafka Trap

Kafka traps occurs when people are accused of something but their denials are interpreted as absolute proof that the accusations are true. For example,

You are an liar!”
“No I am not.”
“That proves it. Liars always deny they are liars!”

Kafka Traps seem to work because they are circular, thus evidence-free, thus unfalsifiable. You can expose the fallaciousness of Kafka Traps by making some simple substitutions, e.g.,:

“You are a jelly donut!”
“No, I am not.”
“That proves it. Jelly donuts always deny they are jelly donuts!”

Now consider this argument:

“You are a racist!”
“No, I am not.”
“That proves it. Racists always deny they have a problem!”

This argument that all white people are racists has been employed by Robin DiAngelo:

Yes, all white people are complicit with racism. There will be umbrage and upset. People will insist that they are not racist. That I don’t know them … ‘I’ve traveled a lot. I speak lots of languages … I had a Black roommate in college. I’m a minority myself.’ This is the kind of evidence that many white people used to exempt themselves from that system. It’s not possible to be exempt from it.

These Kafka Traps are fact-free pseudo-arguments that remind me of St. Anselm’s alleged proof for the existence of God (“That than which nothing greater can be conceived”) and St. Thomas Aquinas’ Contingency proof for the existence of God (“even if the Universe has always existed, it still owes its existence to an uncaused cause. The only thing missing from these three fallacious arguments is the word “Abracadabra!”

To escape a Kafka Trap, you can also demand evidence for these extraordinary claims, then (after no evidence is produced) invoke Carl Sagan: “Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.”

If you are facing an evidence-free claim that you are a racist, simply flip the argument 180 by substituting “maker of false accusations” for “racist”:

“You are a maker of false accusations!”
“No, I am not.”
“That proves it. Makers of false accusations always deny they are makers of false accusations!”

posted on Jan, 29 2022 @ 04:49 PM
link   

I don't think anyone has said - or even subtly implied - that its ok for white people to be racist.
This is about the constant denial of the fact that races other than 'whites' can and often are racist.
And the deliberate attempt to push the LIE that only white people can be racist in order to further an ideological viewpoint and agenda that is largely based on falsehoods.

posted on Jan, 29 2022 @ 04:52 PM
link   

So what are White People that never discriminated and were never prejudice supposed to do now ?

How should those Whites react when confronted by violent groups (MSM, Politicians, Mobs, etc.) that automatically assume they are Racist ?

NOW WHAT !!! 💎

posted on Jan, 29 2022 @ 04:56 PM
link   

I don't think anyone has said - or even subtly implied - that its ok for white people to be racist.
This is about the constant denial of the fact that races other than 'whites' can and often are racist.
And the deliberate attempt to push the LIE that only white people can be racist in order to further an ideological viewpoint and agenda that is largely based on falsehoods.

Correct, I am anti-racist. I'm anti-oppression. I'm anti-discrimination. However, I'm also anti-false ideology, as we are rejecting. Ignoring human tribalism, injustice, oppression, and racism across the globe and history, and claiming it's just white people, does nothing to diagnose and solve these issues.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join