It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Impact of community masking on COVID-19: A cluster-randomized trial in Bangladesh

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2022 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ksihkehe

originally posted by: putnam6

originally posted by: AaarghZombies
a reply to: putnam6

Unless you can narrow down those graphs to at least the approximate region where the survey took place they're not really of much use as those cases might be hundreds of miles away from where the study was conducted.

For example, Bangladesh has an areaa of approximately 92,000km, which is close to the size of New York State, yet NCY is a hot spot while many of the small towns outside of it are more or less untouched.

you do know Bangladesh's population density 1,134.54 people per square kilometer are pretty damn high it's #11 on countries by population density for comparison the US is 30

Bingo.

The specific use case for masks is in close interactions, finally somebody gets it. This is a terrible case to use for an example. Some person walking around Home Depot is not the same as a person in Bangladesh surrounded by walls of unwashed masses that have limited access to other hygiene methods like hand washing.

Exactly I didn't want to crap on the study itself but yes I didn't see the relevance for any country except Bangladesh. Totals don't look so bad, with the population and density. Bangladesh again is 11th in population density and is 153rd in Covid deaths per mill.

posted on Jan, 7 2022 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: MDDoxs
a reply to: ScepticScot

I never mentioned a mortality statistic. My only comment was that hopefully mortality rate would decrease at a relative rate.

I was very clear when I said you never did.

What's a cluster-randomized trial?

Can you answer that without Google and do you agree that Bangladesh is a terrible comparison to people walking around a Payless Shoe or any other cavernous US store?

posted on Jan, 7 2022 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: MDDoxs

hey found another study that shows a statistically significant reduction

The study tested SARS-CoV-2 virus titers and LRV against a single concentration of Xlear nasal spray. According to the Study, “After a 25-minute contact time, the nasal spray reduced virus from 4.2 to 1.7 log10 CCID50 per 0.1 mL, a statistically significant reduction (P

posted on Jan, 7 2022 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: puzzled2

hey found another study that shows a statistically significant reduction

The study tested SARS-CoV-2 virus titers and LRV against a single concentration of Xlear nasal spray. According to the Study, “After a 25-minute contact time, the nasal spray reduced virus from 4.2 to 1.7 log10 CCID50 per 0.1 mL, a statistically significant reduction (P

posted on Jan, 7 2022 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Oh, I know. Why do you think I trust the opinions and reactions of my husband's colleagues who study the same fields, who are just as credentialed and have every incentive to make the best choices for their families over any official I see on TV?

posted on Jan, 7 2022 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: AaarghZombies

originally posted by: jjkenobi
I've seen multiple studies that mask wearing increased the spread of germs. As wearers continually touch the mask, several times a minute, the germs are now on the mask directly in front of your mouth/nose. Wasn't specific to COVID but obviously with how contagious it's claimed to be would no doubt spread faster.

Link please, and that's mostly people's poor personal hygiene. Unless you want Biden to bring in a law preventing people from picking their noses there isn't much that you can do about it.

He is correct about the touching your mask bit and its got nothing to do with hygiene at all but id say hes wrong with the increase to spreading due to it. Although if a person who was carrying covid wearing a mask touched it alot got some on their hands then transferred that to a door handle say, that would be a far easier transfer to another person than if it was simply released into the air.

Since the mask in doing its job catchs alot of the viral material and if your touching the mask moving it around etc you can transfer some of those trapped viral material (which is in the damp surfaces) to your hands then to anything you touch (and masks are annoying in that regard and fighting that urge to touch it can be difficult, personal experiences here lol).

ie dont touch your mask simple as that and if you do use the strings to move it and after removing the mask touch it as little as possible and wash your face and hands to get rid or reduce as much possible transference as you can. Its also why surgical masks are good, since the dampness doesnt usually make it to the outside if at all (from my own experience of using such masks).

Masks are still the easiest and best preventive measure to begin with, people just need to be mindful of how to use em properly (and even used incorrectly they still at least do some work in reducing the spread which is better than nothing).
edit on 7-1-2022 by BigfootNZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2022 @ 09:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subsonic
Let's, for the sake of argument, say that masks do indeed provide some small reduction in infection rates. So what do we do with this information? Do we automatically have the entire world mask up?

I could also do a study that shows that not driving leads to a reduction in traffic accidents, injuries, and death. So what do we do with THAT information? Do we automatically have the entire world stop driving? How about a study that shows people only choke to death when they eat, so let's stop eating in order to reduce choking deaths?

My point is that while this is useful information to have, pure data does NOT make decisions for us. We each have to take multiple data points, like the efficacy of masks, the cost of masks both economically and environmentally, the impact of masking in regards to child development, and a hundred other data points to make decisions that are best for ourselves and our families. This is what we've been doing wrong this entire time - the experts should not be setting policy, they should be providing recommendations that we each then weigh against other factors to determine the best course of action for ourselves and our families.

My God ! This has got to be the most profoundly logical, sane & bleedin' obvious thing I've ever read on this site !

How nice to see others " get it " !

posted on Jan, 8 2022 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Ironic. So many people claim there is no evidence that masks have any effect on COVID transmission , then when presented with quality information, it is completely discounted.

This is not surprising.

May I ask, what kind of information do you need to see to give you confidence that masks provide some form of benefit?
edit on 8-1-2022 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2022 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Could you please provide an article from GitHub that is incorrectly cited and has a flawed methodology? It's clear to me that's the only kind of article that ATS believes.

posted on Jan, 8 2022 @ 05:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

Could you please provide an article from GitHub that is incorrectly cited and has a flawed methodology? It's clear to me that's the only kind of article that ATS believes.

Only if it's a bitchute video about the article.

posted on Jan, 8 2022 @ 05:57 AM
link   
a reply to: 1947boomer

Just to be clear these are.not.live specimen samples, do you see how you have been played?

posted on Jan, 8 2022 @ 04:01 PM
link   

I didn't discount it. I pointed out where the study itself would not be applicable to the wider world.

It's like the idea that Head Start would give universal benefits if applied universally. They base their assumptions off of one small sample in a tightly controlled circumstance where the conditions that produced success could not be reproduced on the scale of the entire nation of the US.

Again, let's just take the one facet: they made sure fresh masks were delivered in-home to their sample population.

Let's ask how that's going to happen in the US. They can't even get us the in-home COVID tests they promised, but you're supposing that they can get us fresh masks to wear on a daily basis as just one facet of getting this 10% drop in disease transmission?

posted on Jan, 13 2022 @ 05:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: MDDoxs
Ironic. So many people claim there is no evidence that masks have any effect on COVID transmission , then when presented with quality information, it is completely discounted.

This is not surprising.

May I ask, what kind of information do you need to see to give you confidence that masks provide some form of benefit?

Personally when you get a shopping cart to hold dry beach sand unaided !
I'll wait.

<< 1  2  3   >>

join