It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Study: Disaster Risks Loom In Coastal, Urban Regions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 10:29 AM
link   
The recent earthquake which struck Indonesia, and last December's Asian tsunami have put a lot of focused attention on huge natural disasters, even though hundreds of smaller disasters cause widespread devastation and damage every year. Apparently over 70 percent of the world's population is a t risk for drought and 82 percent live in areas that
are subject to flooding, according to the Earth Institute at Columbia university and the World Bank,

www.cnn.com
Strategies for minimizing the impact of disasters include strengthening building codes, instituting early warning systems and, in the case of drought, using seasonal climate predictions, said Maxx Dilley, a research scientist at Columbia's International Research Institute for Climate Prediction and one of the authors of the report.

"What we would like to see happen is countries managing the risks instead of managing emergencies," Dilley said.

According to the report, many people in the developing world live in areas that are subject to multiple hazards.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Dilley is correct in saying that countries need to manage the risks, not the emergencies. When a huge natural disaster occurs many thousands of people are killed instantly, seeming that there were no preparations to what has happened. We cannot constantly be prepared for something that hasn’t happened yet, if the whole world was constantly ready for the next big natural disaster nothing would get done. People would be locked off in bunkers waiting, waiting for something which may be nothing. This is the harsh reality of natural disasters, they will strike when they want, where they want and nothings going to stop them.

Related News Links:
www.cnn.com
ndrd.gsfc.nasa.gov

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I fuuny to watch the media say diffrent things. When I seen this on the TV media, they said 100% of the people of the world are at risk of natrual disaster.

Good find

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I guess that 100% of people are at risk, just not directly. If America was wiped out by some crazy natural disaster, I'd be safe here in England, but it would still affect me in the long run.

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Brought to you by your Friendly Neighborhood Insurance Conglomerate Agent..we have policies for every contingency! And we're lobbying to make it mandatory for you to carry these "protections"!

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
I fuuny to watch the media say diffrent things. When I seen this on the TV media, they said 100% of the people of the world are at risk of natrual disaster.

Good find

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 02:18 PM
link   
What a great study... I could have told them that everywhere in the world is at risk for a natural disaster. I mean, yes, tomorrow a tornado could come sweeping through my backyard, but its highly unlikely. It could also hail the size of basketballs, but it probably wont happen either. Just another case of the media trying to put everyone into a state of fear. If youre scared you wont think logically.

Whoevers funding these blatantly obvious studies really needs to rethink thier spending. Or fund my new theory "Everywhere in the world is susceptable to rain".

top topics

join