It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My idea on preventing another Alec Baldwin-style tragedy

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2021 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Poor, poor Alec Baldwin... those mean old reporters are harassing him, just because he plugged a young woman who had done nothing to him in the chest with a .45 Colt slug.

I'm sorry but I'm not sorry; I have no sympathy for him. He's freakin' driving around with his family! Had anyone else, any of us "little people," done anything even close to this, Alec Baldwin would be jumping up and down screaming about how we should be drawn and quartered along with anyone else who dares want to own a gun!

Take your own medicine, Baldwin.

I found this at the end very interesting:

The Santa Fe County Sheriff's Department is still investigating the incident and said it was "too early" to comment on potential charges during a press conference Wednesday. However, Sheriff Adan Mendoza has since referred to the department's efforts as a "criminal investigation."

"I’d be careful using the word ‘accident,'" Mendoza said during an appearance Thursday on "Fox & Friends."

"This is obviously a tragedy and it was avoidable, so right now it’s a criminal investigation."

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 30 2021 @ 07:51 PM
link   
So why would they even have real guns on a set? They can't rent guns that only shoot small blanks that are incapable to also shoot a real bullet. It seems to me that some level of insurance would drive that point on a movie set with a lot of guns.

If all guns on the set can not fire real bullets then you can not have a human error issue. They add the "bang" anyways later, so all you need a a very small charge, much smaller than what killed Brandon Lee.

edit on 30-10-2021 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2021 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Right. Baldwin aimed the gun and pulled the trigger. "Accident" is definitely not the right word. In one of his 2017 Tweets, Alec Baldwin wondered what it would feel like to kill a human being. (He was talking about U.S President Trump)

posted on Oct, 30 2021 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

What's sad is how powers behind the scenes are, at this very moment, trying to turn this shooting into what will be seen in hindsight as nothing more than another accidental death by gun.

430 Accidental Gun Deaths @ year in the USA: injepijournal.biomedcentral.com...

edit on 10/30/2021 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2021 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Right. Baldwin aimed the gun and pulled the trigger. "Accident" is definitely not the right word. In one of his 2017 Tweets, Alec Baldwin wondered what it would feel like to kill a human being. (He was talking about U.S President Trump)

Yes. He was doing his job and maybe had a reasonable expectation that others would do theirs.

To me this is no different than kids being killed in their homes because they got ahold of a firearm. Usually no charges come from those nor does any additional regulation, so what's different here other than people not liking the actor or his politics?

posted on Oct, 30 2021 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: AScrubWhoDied

If I am going to aim a gun at a person, and pull the trigger, I am going to check to see if the gun is LOADED, or if the gun is NOT LOADED....depending on the desired outcome.

Wouldn't you?

Wouldn't any of us?

100% of the time?

Who here on ATS would NOT check to ensure the gun is loaded or not loaded before aiming a gun at someone and pulling the trigger????

posted on Oct, 30 2021 @ 08:47 PM
link   

If I am going to aim a gun at a person, and pull the trigger, I am going to check to see if the gun is LOADED, or if the gun is NOT LOADED....depending on the desired outcome.

Wouldn't you?

Wouldn't any of us?

100% of the time?

Who here on ATS would NOT check to ensure the gun is loaded or not loaded before aiming a gun at someone and pulling the trigger????

And presumably you make sure to secure your firearms such that your kids wont kill themselves or others right?

You think the actor should exercise the common sense of someone who owns firearms, but those that actually do own them shouldn't? Like making sure kids cant access them and kill themselves?

So again I ask, what's different here that's got people calling for more regulation?

posted on Oct, 30 2021 @ 09:20 PM
link   
You could just stop making so many films with guns in them but you may miss the 'pleasure' of seeing someone (else) getting hurt; what a sad society! Star Trek seem to have it sussed with their guns usually set to stun.

posted on Oct, 31 2021 @ 09:22 AM
link   

What's sad is how powers behind the scenes are, at this very moment, trying to turn this shooting into what will be seen in hindsight as nothing more than another accidental death by gun.

They will most likely make Baldwin a poster child hero as to why guns should be banned.

posted on Oct, 31 2021 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Are you saying that Alec Baldwin has the mental capacity of a small child?

Hmmm... not sure how to argue that point. Let me think about it.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 31 2021 @ 02:12 PM
link   

And presumably you make sure to secure your firearms such that your kids wont kill themselves or others right?

Teaching the kids how and when to use a firearm at an early age seems to work quite well, too.

You think the actor should exercise the common sense of someone who owns firearms, but those that actually do own them shouldn't? Like making sure kids cant access them and kill themselves?

I think that anyone who accepts a weapon of any kind should immediately check to see if it is loaded themselves. Period. If I ever hand you a weapon and you start pointing it at people before you even check it, I will draw on you until you drop the gun. If necessary, I will shoot you to protect myself and anyone else around us.

Trying to equate that action to an actual accidental shooting is why we have issues with guns in this country. It's people with attitudes like yours who are the problem.

So again I ask, what's different here that's got people calling for more regulation?

The fact that every safety protocol broke down. There is never a time when that should happen. Three different people should have checked that gun as it passed through their hands; no one did so. That is not an accident; it is gross incompetence.

Let me ask you: what about those regulations in my OP did you find that you didn't agree with? Can we start there and have an actual discussion? Or are you just here to stir up anger?

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 31 2021 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: AScrubWhoDied

Yes. He was doing his job and maybe had a reasonable expectation that others would do theirs.

To me this is no different than kids being killed in their homes because they got ahold of a firearm. Usually no charges come from those nor does any additional regulation, so what's different here other than people not liking the actor or his politics?

He’s not a kid he is an adult.

Unfortunately he his an avid anti firearm adult.

The first thing anyone must do when handed a firearm is conduct a safety check.

Breach clear, barrel clear. Simple. Never trust the last check done by the person handing it to you. Baldwin did not do this.

What I heard earlier (the story may have changed) was that he was “practicing” when the shooting happened. So he also broke another rule. Never point a gun, loaded or unloaded. Pointing it at others was not necessary.

In a controlled environment like a movie set a firearm is sometimes used and is pointed at others by those who have no experience like Baldwin. They need training and need to be held accountable for their actions.

Redneck is spot on.

ETA: the OPs suggestions are more job site training and safe work practices rather than “new regulations”.
edit on 10 31 2021 by NorthOfStuff because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2024 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Mr. Baldwin should receive some punishment, in my opinion, and I'll tell you why I think that.

Rules of basic stagecraft are that you never point a gun directly at someone. I learned this in the first acting class I ever took. You always point it just a little to the left or right, to prevent an injurious shooting should other safeguards somehow fail.

It seems odd to me that Mr. Baldwin would never have learned this basic rule of stagecraft, veteran actor that he is. I suppose it's possible, but it's highly unlikely, that he never learned this rule. If he did know this rule, then apparently he disregarded it, with deadly results. There should be consequences.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join