It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bonhoeffer‘s Theory of Stupidity & The Five Laws of Stupidity

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2021 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Nothin

Stupid is apt in the sense that as the theory says - some of those people can be very, very intellectually able. No doubt there are plenty of them who know on some level that what they're doing isn't the right thing, but they ignore it and go on along. It wouldn't surprise me, in fact, if they end up being some of the most ardent and/or most virulent supporters because of that deep inner knowledge that they're doing something stupid but they're choosing to fit in over doing what they know is right.

And when I type that, I do actually have an example of such a person in mind. It's a personal thing though.
edit on 23-10-2021 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2021 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

An addition to my thoughts -

When talking about the power of basically peer pressure to sway people to act in ways they might not otherwise, this ties in with the idea that those who are mostly solitary seem to be most resistant to stupidity according to Bonhoffer.

So perhaps "stupidity" isn't the best label, but it was the one he had since it is exactly the phenomena of people acting in ways that would seem to completely contradict who they are and they may at some level even be aware of that but they are going along with the prevailing crowd anyhow.

Those who are solitary or who avoid hanging out with people and don't need as much social affirmation would necessarily more resistant to the idea that if everyone else is doing or acting or thinking a certain way, then maybe I ought to be or at least act like I am too in order to fit in. Misanthropes (and similar - introverts) long ago gave up on needing the approval of others in order to feel good about themselves.
edit on 23-10-2021 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2021 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Deetermined

Agree with your assessment of those whom have imposed themselves into positions of governance over the citizens of the world.

Don't have a very high opinion of them, but still wouldn't slap the label of 'stupid' on them.
More like psychopathic geniuses perhaps ?

Maybe they are defective Humans, merely lacking some basic Human qualities : such as Love, empathy, care, goodness, wisdom, etc... ?

They seem to be slaves to their reptilian brain, and unable to experience this Human experience.

And then they have co-opted, by coercion or threat, an army of unconscious-enablers, otherwise known as useful-idiots, to run their dirty scenarios.

All of those could well fall into the category described as stupid in the OP.

They control the physical domain, and thus my thought is it useless to even fight against them, in their realm of control.

In the domains of spirituality, heart, Love, and soul : they are unarmed, and defenseless.

It's wonderful that you have your faith to bring you strength.

posted on Oct, 23 2021 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Maybe that's what didn't click for me, when we throw the label 'stupid' at folks.

Fleshing it out in my thoughts, and reading your musings on it : we can see that the simple labels we use, can be too easy sometimes, as the underlying qualities can be very complex.

So now we have re-humanized them, am feeling better.
Don't feel good about myself when just labeling and writing-off entire groups of folks.

Find myself agreeing with most of what Incoserv wrote in the OP, and follow-up post : while only not agreeing with the 'stupid' label.

Am also not sure that 'they' are uncurbable, as you were alluding to some of them possibly even being conscious of what they are doing, but still choosing the easy personal choice, and the wrong societal choice.

Maybe folks just don't understand that we are all a part of society.
Yeah : even introverts and misanthropes, are still a part too. Just different flavors of ice-cream.

posted on Oct, 24 2021 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Maybe they are defective Humans, merely lacking some basic Human qualities : such as Love, empathy, care, goodness, wisdom, etc... ?

They seem to be slaves to their reptilian brain, and unable to experience this Human experience.

And then they have co-opted, by coercion or threat, an army of unconscious-enablers, otherwise known as useful-idiots, to run their dirty scenarios.

Well, the Bible warned us about the day when people's "hearts will wax cold" and God would "turn them over to their reprobate minds". (Matthew 24:12-15 & Romans 1:28)

posted on Oct, 24 2021 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Fleshing it out in my thoughts, and reading your musings on it : we can see that the simple labels we use, can be too easy sometimes, as the underlying qualities can be very complex.

Don't feel good about myself when just labeling and writing-off entire groups of folks.

Find myself agreeing with most of what Incoserv wrote in the OP, and follow-up post : while only not agreeing with the 'stupid' label.

Considering that the author of this letter from 75 years ago was a pastor and theologian, it appears to me from his letter that a lot of this stupid behavior is caused by evil. Evil has a tendency to spread like cancer.

posted on Oct, 24 2021 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Deetermined

Considering that the author of this letter from 75 years ago was a pastor and theologian, it appears to me from his letter that a lot of this stupid behavior is caused by evil. Evil has a tendency to spread like cancer.

And it goes with the idea that those who are smart enough to know that they are doing the wrong thing but do it anyhow can be the worst of the bunch when it comes to being virulently nasty.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join