It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now Boomers are to blame for lack of Fast Food workers

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2021 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Those jobs were for kids to make some extra pocket money. Heck, when i grew up, you had to be somebody to get one of those! Good pay (since we lived at home at the time), regular hours, a comfortable place to work... fast food was a dream job for teenagers!

I didn't have one of those cushy jobs. I hauled hay for extra money. I worked fields for extra money. And when I graduated to just mowing yards, I thought I had died and gone to heaven! So when it came to getting a real job as I got ready to move out, one that would pay my bills, I knew what I needed, and it wasn't a minimum wage, part time, grunt job that was there for kids to work at.

Today, people are trying to make a freakin' career out of flipping hamburgers!

And it builds on itself, too... we already have labor laws that protect kids from learning to work, automation that makes the kind of jobs I had obsolete, and with adults trying to work their entire lives without improving themselves, where are kids supposed to learn how to work? The jobs that were designed for them are taken up now by people who are complaining they don't pay enough! So we have this generation that doesn't know how to work, and because of them the next generation never gets a chance to learn either. It's an endless spiral straight down.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 2 2021 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

"We learned how to code."
-Boomers

posted on Oct, 2 2021 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Yep.

My first job was car-hopping at Sonic. I learned some useful things there ... like how to count change. But I also learned that I would never be happy doing that kind of job for my whole life too. It taught me the importance of bettering myself so that I wouldn't have to.

I also worked the wheat harvests every year and spent time working at a vet clinic. One summer I spent working at a print shop helping to run the big press machines which is something paying off actually now.

posted on Oct, 2 2021 @ 04:33 PM
link   

The lady then goes on to say that older people owe it to society to take some of these jobs, even if only for part time, to teach the young people.

I think she needs to be first and show us how it's done.

Maybe this is a blessing in disguise. Maybe people need to eat more home cooked food and not so much fast food. Maybe fast food should be a once in a while treat!

The demise of the fast food industry could be one of the best things to happen in this country. We would all be a little bit healthier if nothing else.

posted on Oct, 2 2021 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

I think she needs to be first and show us how it's done.

I think the backlash was swift which is why it was taken down immediately.

posted on Oct, 2 2021 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Boomers in this thread virtue signaling what life was like back when they were kids and teens ... all so tiresome.

My first job was working at Domino's pizza, well 'real job', I was a paper boy when I was about 12 to around 15 or so, then got a job at the pizza place. I stayed in the food industry all the way up to almost becoming a chef, and then it just got too much.

The bottom line is. The food industry in all senses sucks, big time, you'd need to pay me 100k a year to return to kitchen life.
And the 'fast food' industry is just such brain draining work, and yes brain drain in the sense any sort of ideas you come up with turns into data for the corporation to utilize and profit from, and in a literal sense it's just drone work.
And that's one of the issues right there, no growth as a person at all, no challenge in fast food, it's drone work. The newer generations are educated and constantly challenged mentally with non stop information being thrown at them, and not to mention they are exposed to easier streams of making money now and jobs that don't require much physical labor.
Where I work green trades people are demanding 30 dollars an hour to be a a straight welder, these kids aren't dumb. The ol' pull yourself up by the bootstrap mentality isn't good enough anymore, technology, AI, robotics, instant communication and endless free information has caused this rift in the labor pool.

Times are changing and boomers expected their retirement to full of these servants and low skilled workers to be tending to their every need, sorry, but that's not going to happen. Expect more labor shortages and restaurant closures younger people want to build a future, not cater to older people all their lives. But hey, I guess they can just keep harvesting places like Afghanistan for more uneducated low skilled people to do that right?

posted on Oct, 2 2021 @ 04:56 PM
link   
They're setting up a 100% government trained workforce for every single job !!!!😧

posted on Oct, 2 2021 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

Where I work green trades people are demanding 30 dollars an hour to be a a straight welder, these kids aren't dumb. The ol' pull yourself up by the bootstrap mentality isn't good enough anymore, technology, AI, robotics, instant communication and endless free information has caused this rift in the labor pool.

Times are changing and boomers expected their retirement to full of these servants and low skilled workers to be tending to their every need, sorry, but that's not going to happen. Expect more labor shortages and restaurant closures younger people want to build a future, not cater to older people all their lives. But hey, I guess they can just keep harvesting places like Afghanistan for more uneducated low skilled people to do that right?

You summed it up perfectly. It is going to be reality so like I said, people best get ready!

posted on Oct, 2 2021 @ 05:00 PM
link   

I can't help it if reality is not what the young think it is because they have a smartphone strapped to their hand.

posted on Oct, 2 2021 @ 05:18 PM
link   

I worked for 45 years and if some nitwit thinks I'm going to work fast food, she's nuts.

I have a better idea. SHE should get a part time job there to help the kids out if she's so concerned.

posted on Oct, 2 2021 @ 05:26 PM
link   

I'm going to say something that probably won't be popular...............

I think it's time for the robots to make fast food.
I'm not talking mid or fine dining, i'm talking the Mcdonalds, Taco bells, Arbys, etc.
Have robots/AI/machines make it. It will be consistent every time. You punch in your order, and if it's wrong, that's on you.

I'm sure when vending machines first came out someone complained about them too.

posted on Oct, 2 2021 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Boomers in this thread virtue signaling what life was like back when they were kids and teens ... all so tiresome.

Ah yes, I almost forgot it's politically correct to hate on Boomers these days as if we're all the same and have some kind of disease that affects only us... all so tiresome.

posted on Oct, 2 2021 @ 05:32 PM
link   

That's fine, and what about all those people angry because their burger jobs won't pay them a "living wage"? If all they are fit for is that kind of labor, and we automate it, then what will they do?

Does that mean I am now forever working my butt off to have the government take my wages to pay for them to sit on their butts doing nothing because they simply aren't fit to do it? And at what point is enough from me enough?

I guess they'll just "learn to code".

posted on Oct, 2 2021 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

That's fine, and what about all those people angry because their burger jobs won't pay them a "living wage"? If all they are fit for is that kind of labor, and we automate it, then what will they do?

Maybe we are at the crux of history, maybe we are going through the growing pains part of the true tech revolution.
What will they do? We need to bring them up. What if everyone goes up a notch? Is that a bad thing?

posted on Oct, 2 2021 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: billxam

I worked for 45 years and if some nitwit thinks I'm going to work fast food, she's nuts.

I have a better idea. SHE should get a part time job there to help the kids out if she's so concerned.

Hey gramps, gimme my mocho choco latte quad shot pronto, and make sure it's not too hot, nor too warm, or I'm going to go full Karen on ya.

Simmer down! I'm just kidding!

posted on Oct, 2 2021 @ 06:00 PM
link   
What!
Who says there's a worker shortage!
Minimum Wage plus Family Medical included!

edit on Oct-02-2021 by xuenchen because: batteries included

posted on Oct, 2 2021 @ 06:02 PM
link   
their laments are water off a duck's back. they blame us for practically everything.

bloody kids - harumph!

posted on Oct, 2 2021 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I get paid a dollar an hour for every year I've been alive.

YOU can't afford that hamburger!!

And that is how it is supposed to work.

If you are working at McDonalds, you only need to be 13 and make $13/hour

When you reach the age of 18, they should fire you if you haven't moved on - no one can afford an $18/hour hamburger
edit on 2-10-2021 by sraven because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2021 @ 06:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

originally posted by: ketsuko

Maybe we are at the crux of history, maybe we are going through the growing pains part of the true tech revolution.
What will they do? We need to bring them up. What if everyone goes up a notch? Is that a bad thing?

It's not a bad thing, but look around you. Since when has any solution proposed and advanced ever been about bringing others up. It's always about tearing the ones who are up down so the ones who are down don't feel bad about it.

No one ever asks them to change or rise up.

Remember, what you just said comes perilously close to the boot-strap mentality. No one ever changes unless they want to. You can't force someone to be other than what they want to be.

posted on Oct, 2 2021 @ 06:18 PM
link   
And if you are 30 years old and
you are not making at least $30/hour
you are doing it wrong.

You're welcome
~Dad

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join