It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

mass shootings.. a gun issue or a hate issue?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 06:50 AM
link   
I often hear reference to the ratio of guns to human beings in the United States as a contributing factor to mass shootings, and that there is a linear relationship between increase of the guns to humans ratio and mass shooting events.

But that theory doesn't hold water.

See, there have actually been *other* time periods in our past, albeit with a smaller population than current times, where the gun to person ratio was higher than it is today.

Trends in US Gun Ownership, 1972-2014

The household ownership of firearms has declined in recent decades. Table 1 (left side) shows that the 31.0% of households reported having a firearm in 2014, essentially tying with 2010 for the lowest level of gun ownership in the last 40-some years. This is a decline of about 17 percentage points from the peak ownership years in 1977-1980.

So while it's true that the gross number of guns in the US has increased, their ownership are concentrated in the hands of fewer citizens, so the result is net decline in the ease of access for the public. LESS people (by the percentages of the entire population) have ability to avail themselves of a firearm than the 1970s, 80s or 90s.

This decline in gun ownership can be attributed to enacting of stricter legislation for obtaining and owning firearms, particularly in high population density areas that are afflicted with acute and frequent gun violence.

So if on balance, fewer percentage of citizens of the US have the ability to "grab a gun", why does it seem that "mass shootings" are a bigger problem than in the past?.

Is it the guns.....or the human beings?
edit on 26-5-2021 by SleeperHasAwakened because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Although we have a problem with lack of consequences in our culture, I'm not sure how this applies to mass shootings. Most of them are done by people who have intentions to die on their way out. When someone is willing to take their own life, all bets are off. We also give them the ability to be recognized by our media coverage of it. I wish we would do things similar to NZ where we never mention the persons name, nor show their face. There are plenty of people who think by doing this they will be 'remembered'.

posted on May, 27 2021 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I truly believe it is a spiritual problem.

originally posted by: HODOSKE
over 12 different mass shooting over the weekend. Everyone keeps saying it is America's gun problem . We need more gun control, they say. I see it as a hate issues. Why is everyone so angry? I wish someone would do an in depth study on all the mass murderes and ask them why.
It breaks my heart that everyone is so angry all the time. Is it from video games, the internet, antidepressants, incorrect up bringing, diet, television?
Just curious what other think

posted on May, 27 2021 @ 01:56 PM
link   
i tend to agree with you. need more god and love in our hearts ..a reply to: Lebanon808

posted on May, 28 2021 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Mass shootings are an indicator of a country with too many guns.

posted on May, 28 2021 @ 01:20 AM
link   
So New Zealand has too many guns?!?!?

IQ much?

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join