It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People are refusing to work

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2020 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I currently earn a take home about a 100 bucks more than the unemployment benefit.
When I can get my full 40 hours in.
Since all of this lockdown crap I often don't get 30 a week. So as an essential worker that isn't unemployed, with 30 years of experience, I am now often making far less than I would be if my job weren't "essential".
Messed up situation.
Just needed to vent. That's all.

posted on May, 21 2020 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: texas thinker

Welcome to the club. But we're supposed to just accept it and roll over like good little dogs because it's for the greater good.

Yeah I'm a little salty.

posted on May, 21 2020 @ 08:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: Cmajlz

For someone his age that is a lot of money. My 20 year old granddaughter would think she could buy a house, a new car and go to the beach with plenty left over.

My son is 20 also, but he is a 4.0 GPA in a electrical engineer program with a math minor, so he is putting his money in long term investments...lol

Now that is shocking.

posted on May, 22 2020 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: EternalShadow

Unemployment insurance is something you and your employer pay into. I

That's not what this says.

The U.S. Department of Labor’s Unemployment Insurance program is funded through unemployment insurance taxes paid by employers and collected by the state and federal government. The taxes are part of the often-discussed payroll taxes all employers pay. Employers pay federal taxes of 6 percent on the first $7,000 in annual income earned by every employee. Employers who pay on time get a tax break at 5.4 percent.

eligibility.com...

It's a burden on employers on top of matching medicare, and social security contributions.
edit on 22-5-2020 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2020 @ 11:16 AM
link   
After Broward re-opened last week I got a lot of e-mails in regards to our property I wasn't anticipating that fit within this thread. We have one tenant who is claiming that in the two weeks preceding the re-open, whenever their staff would go into the office they smelled funky, mildew-y smells and had allergic reactions when they left.

The "I smell something funny and feel sick" is a common play by employees who want to work from home or have an excuse to use a sick day. There's no mildew smell that is going to give you allergies and if you're only smelling it that day and experiencing issues in the same day, it's not mold.

I don't know if these people had their hours cut and are collecting unemployment or not, but we're calling bullsh!t and when they insisted on an air quality test, we told them the same thing we do with every tenant who asks, "We'll schedule it, however, we do not believe there is an issue. Therefore, if there is no issue, you will be covering the costs. If there is an issue, we'll gladly resolve it and take on all associated costs." This generally gets them to shut up and I'm waiting to hear back from the branch manager who brought this to our attention initially. It's been a few days so I think I know what their reply will be.

posted on May, 22 2020 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: DietWoke
Getting paid for refusing to work.
Maybe the Green New Deal was put into effect under the table. Anyone else noticing some of the parallels?

I await the $3Trillion CoV, Phase 2 to get enacted into Law before making emerging trends/ prognosis'

I feel the Senate & Congress have all gone to the Dark Side
but the Extra $600 a week until the end of July, does have 'Strings Attached'...the 12 weeks of free-bee $ at $7200. is considered taxable Income --> whereas the $1200.00 credits/cash was not countable as income / windfall

I reckon the consensus idea for the $600 Week bonus Unemployment $$ is for ALL 100% of the recipients to refuse to file the bonus Unemployment checks as Income....'They' will swear up-&-down that the extra $600 per week for 12 weeks was 'Insurance Monies' Awarded to Them free of taxes

just like the Student Loan body of debters… all, enmasse, flip the bird to the IRS-Treasury collection apparatus
~another $2 Trilllion of cash 'They' feel are Entitled to for being Special SnowFlakes~

Baah humbug

posted on May, 22 2020 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: DietWoke
Getting paid for refusing to work.

Maybe the Green New Deal was put into effect under the table. Anyone else noticing some of the parallels?

Oh, absolutely.

The Green New Deal, itself nothing more than an Agenda 21 derivative, has been burbling along nicely in the background from the start.

From policy to propaganda..

posted on May, 22 2020 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I believe that some are actually scared.
More money, without the dangerous work? Yes.
That eventually runs out though. That 600 bump is not forever.

You can bet a lot of these jobs are thankless, low wage, jobs. Without all the safeguards, for infections.

So, I you aren’t getting your meat , you amazon deliveries, those important bags of springtime mulch in time...go get a job and help out slaughtering or delivering. The pay sucks, but you will be helping out your fellow Karens.

edit on 22-5-2020 by spacedoubt because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 01:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Oh yeah, we're trying to fill five different $12-16/hr spots. They're "entry level" jobs, usually filled by young people without college educations, or moms getting back to work for the first time in years. which

We've promoted several individuals into much higher paying jobs after less than a year. The ones who work hard (and smart) move up quickly, and are making $60-100k now. But the folks applying won't take the job, because the $1000+ unemployment checks are better.

They don't seem to understand that those will dry up, and while they're battling with millions of other unemployed for fewer positions, the ones who DID take the job and get to work in tough times, will be earning ~$80k. A few good months of sitting on their butts is going to cost a lot of people far more in diminished future income.

posted on May, 24 2020 @ 11:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk
a reply to: LSU2018

When all the shut downs started my husband was given the option of taking a furlough, which I advised against because I believed there was a good chance that those who chose furlough might not have a position to come back to- which has proven to be a reality for a lot of people. When the unemployment runs out (along with the extra $600 per week in federal contributions) a lot of these folks will be fighting for even minimum wage jobs because their former positions will not exist any more. Many businesses who have not gone bankrupt have scaled back to bare minimums in staffing and eliminated positions permanently.

You’re right companies are running lean and eliminating positions.

An economy like the one we had 75 days ago was generating a lot of wealth - and excess. Companies hired a lot of people - some to do pretty menial tasks - and once the economy goes south those positions are gone. Happens every time the market cycle resets.

Along the lines of people not wanting to work, I can see a problem getting employees who currently work from home/remotely being told they have to go back to working in an office. There’s probably some folks who just won’t come work in an office again. Employers are going to have a hard time with this I suspect.

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join