It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

That's Right, Keep Hating on the 1950s

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2020 @ 10:29 PM
link   
a reply to: SleeperHasAwakened

I’ll be 30 in a couple of days; but I was raised by my elders and respect their teachings and wisdom. Because experience IS and always will be TRUTH! It is how we decipher that truth, that makes us who we are.... but like the OP said; I am a avid student of real history, and the 1950s were the “bees knees”. The music, the atmosphere, prospective, etc... ( minus the racial tones that came with it) I despise that

posted on Apr, 27 2020 @ 10:40 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

People were more polite and less aggressive because they didn’t know what you had in your pocket . 🔫

posted on Apr, 27 2020 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Hmm...the 1950's is the decade people seem to look upon more fondly than any other, in my experience. Whether they were alive then or not. Maybe its just among social groups I have no connection to that are "anti-50's." I haven't come across any of this Fiftyscism at all.

posted on Apr, 27 2020 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I used to own a fifty seven Chevy, I liked the fifties. I haven't seen many people saying bad things about the fifties.

They invented the electric beater in the fifties, same with malt machines. The fifties were not bad, the last ten years have been bad compared to any time I saw in many years. I remembered the riots in the sixties, a bunch of people stirred those up. Just like they stirred up the riots unnecessarily when Obama was president.

posted on Apr, 27 2020 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Yea now hand shaking is gross and seen as a way to spread covid.

Men still tip their hat at ladies but from their parents basements with thick lush beards about their necks.

Men still open doors for ladies but only to display our masculinity and just how dependent they are on us.

We till play outside but till the street lights turn off.

Sir?!?? Maaaa’am?!?? Did you just assu...

Tv is watched constantly how else am I going to know exactly how many people got sick/recovered/died from covid and what fast food restaurants are still here with us through this period of hardship.

Games are played virtually and are addictive with gambling elements.

Good times? Memory’s? Pffffft this is progress baby!

edit on 27-4-2020 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2020 @ 11:53 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 28 2020 @ 03:11 AM
link   

We played outside until the streetlights came on.

Oh man, you made me remember that one.

That was the moment when your mother knew you were coming home and you had 10 minutes tolerance.

posted on Apr, 28 2020 @ 03:17 AM
link   

There is an obsession with hating the 50's? What? Seriously, thanks, that was funny.

Please continue with your abnormal programming...

posted on Apr, 28 2020 @ 03:24 AM
link   
I think ther's a simple explanation. Modern culture is still dominated by the "rebellious" atmosphere of the Sixties. The Fifties constituted the Authority which they were rebelling against. Therefore the Fifties must be bad. For example, in the short story version of Harlan Ellison's "A boy and his dog", the weird and hostile underground world which the hero reaches is actually just Eisenhower America, encapsulated (obviously echoing the author's memories of being a lonely adolescent). In that state of mind, anything nice that belonged to the Fifties is suspect because it belonged to the Fifties.

edit on 28-4-2020 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2020 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Same, I just sold my dream car 2 door 57 Chevy, it was in primo shape, loved that car but definitely not a daily driver. I kept Telling my wife how people back then were tough, no AC, no power steering, radio with once speaker. But the 50’s styles are great! No saggy pants!
Damn this shutdown!

posted on Apr, 28 2020 @ 04:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown

People were more polite and less aggressive because they didn’t know what you had in your pocket . 🔫

Wait a second. You guys were alive in the 50's to recount this?

I had no idea i brought down the average age that much.

Is this the tv you grew up on then? Cause that you die swell!

Or was it this show?

Ah, those good old times eh?
edit on 28-4-2020 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2020 @ 05:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColoradoJens
Wait a second. You guys were alive in the 50's to recount this?

I had no idea i brought down the average age that much.

Is this the tv you grew up on then? Cause that you die swell!

Lots of us wera alive in the Ffities. The Flower-pot men were on in the Fifties. Aw, flobalob!

posted on Apr, 28 2020 @ 05:18 AM
link   
That's Right, Keep Hating on the 1950s

ATS members who were 50's children are legends, I don't hate the 50's.

I am a 70's kid and the biggest news when I was growing up was this.

posted on Apr, 28 2020 @ 05:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI

Lots of us wera alive in the Ffities. The Flower-pot men were on in the Fifties. Aw, flobalob!

OOOOOH .......

Are you relating that to the average intelligence of the ATS members too?

posted on Apr, 28 2020 @ 05:23 AM
link   

I do not get this "new" obsession with dumping on the 1950s.

Oh noes... I haven't seen that yet. Just the obsession with "boomers" and "Karens" and whatever other snarky insults younger folks come up with. But I guess it follows that the same people talking trash to/about people from that time, would be talking trash about the times as well.

What a shame. At a time when we have the technology and opportunities to learn and relate with people of all ages, everywhere, from every walk of life, we still have to put people in boxes and slap a label on them.

posted on Apr, 28 2020 @ 06:42 AM
link   
a reply to: eletheia
You'll notice that the characters are lookimg out for each other. I'll take them as models of affectionate generosity.

posted on Apr, 28 2020 @ 06:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar

Just think of how it all will be in another 10 years when the mistakes of the RINO Neo-Cons here in 2020 caused a new age conservatism/patriot amalgam. I mean those right wingers then will make you, me, burdman30ott6 and others look like tree hugging bed wetters. All because the leftist dictators today like DeWine won’t restart the state. Ohio’s grand reopening is to enforce deeper and more stringent policies than within the lockdown/shutdown...madness, the madness of necromancy from death cultists picking at the final bones of a destroyed economy.

For those that disbelieve...do you see shoe stores and clothing shops resurrecting in the strip malls and few remaining standard malls? I watched a small plaza mall bounce back from a small tornado last fall to have the last of their shops rebuilt and opened in February only to have all the stores get Corona-ed in March.

DeWine has yet to have been seen wearing a mask properly in public, there is a picture of improperly wearing one. There are groups almost ready to grab him by the arms and walk him out of a Covid conference and out of office...and probably out of the country, truth be told via Lake Erie as the most expedient exile from Ohio and the US.

Yes, in a sense, you are thinking right in the mental space I was occupying that prompted me to write this post.

Reactionsim.

Societal patterns all throughout history move in cycles, hence the adoption of the term 'revolution' to describe the civil turmoil in late 18th century France.

I feel like the pendulum of social balance, by then end of '00s, was swinging back more towards the center, and almost on cue, we elected the nation's first black president, for whom I voted 2x. You can throw rocks at me all you want, I listened to him speak, and weighed his words with his opponents, and I felt a sense of political optimism and confidence I hadn't yet experienced in my adult years.

But yet, by the end of Obama's 2nd term, and now 3+ years into his successor's term, I feel like the pendulum has swung all the way left, straining the tension on the cord to the point where either it will snap, or like has happened many many times before, the inertia from swinging with such force in one direction will be felt equally hard in the opposite direction in time.

So when you hear someone rip on the 1950s, you should wonder what is it they're after? What would make someone take issue with comparatively one of the most prosperous decades in modern American history. Are they seeking a balancing of the social pendulum, or at least settling for minor swinging near the center, which many of us pine for, and some felt we might be nearing that equilibrium around 2010. Or are they gearing up to drive the pendulum further to the left? My instinct is that if someone is looking to the 1950s, of all times, for leverage to push the pendulum in a certain direction, they are not the type of person that seeks social balance.

Many times in history, one-offs like this pandemic have served as catalysts for erratically bouncing the social pendulum, think about the Great Depression, the assassination of the Duke of Austria, the poor harvests and famine preceding the French Revolution. I hope that we start lifting the quarantines soon, begin easing the pent up tension folks have accumulated being shut in their homes, start healing the economic damage incurred from locking down the world. We can all hope for a gradual uncoiling of the spring that has been squished down hard by COVID, but history shows us that rarely do Black Swan events lead to such smooth transitions.

posted on Apr, 28 2020 @ 06:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: SleeperHasAwakened
I do not get this "new" obsession with dumping on the 1950s. Of all the periods in history to b!tch and complain about....why choose the 1950s?? The end of the Second World War..........

My opinion based on very personal experience: It was a time when millions of entitled kids were born to proud parents and the world was inherited while showing NO respect to those parents and hating them because they didn't get everything laid on a plate.

Millenials were their kids but not quite as bad because they looked more to the outside world for their entitlements rather than their parents.

Wars never end when the war ends.
edit on 28/4/2020 by nerbot because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2020 @ 06:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: AScrubWhoDied
Whoa I thought I was on r/fragilewhiteredditor for a moment.

What a clown statement...lol

posted on Apr, 28 2020 @ 06:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd

I can relates to this guy.

I bought a set of weights prior to the lockdown so I could set up a home gym in my basement. Sadly the only thing I could find were a set of adjustable 70lb dumbells. Now I'm rounding back into form, and out of more weight, unless I start strapping paint cans on the side a la Bruce Willis, or start pressing my daughters stacked back to back.

Quarantines make the mind travel to odd places.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join