It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Confusion abut "Respirators", "Ventilators" and "Surgical Masks"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 11:34 AM
link   
There seems to be a great deal of confusion and misinformation circulating about "respirators", who has them, who doesn't, who makes them and what they're used for. Much of this stems from a basic misunderstanding about what a "respirator" is.

The respirators which save sick people's lives in hospital intensive care units (ICU's) actually aren't "respirators" at all, they are "ventilators". And, companies like FORD and GM are NOT making "ventilators", they're making "respirators". They're different, have different applications and uses.

In it's most basic form, a "respirator" is simply a device (usually a mask of some form) which protects the wearer from breathing in particles, gases, chemicals or pathogens which may be in the air around them. They have nothing to do with saving a sick person's life, and have everything to do with preventing otherwise healthy persons from becoming ill, injured or otherwise compromised due to inhaling harmful airborne particles or substances.

A "ventilator", on the other hand, is a mechanical device which mechanically provides oxygenated air into the lungs as well as removes CO2 saturated (spent) air from the lungs. This is done generally by inserting a tube down the throat, through the trachea and into the airways to the lungs through which air is supplied and removed from the lungs.

When people say "Hostpitals are critically short of respirators", this is a misleading statement. Hospitals are critically short of both 'ventilators' AND 'respirators', BUT...it is 'ventilators' which are so critically important to saving lives. "Respirators" only protect the staff and others from becoming sick. Both are critically important, but they serve entirely different purposes.

So what exactly are companies like Ford and GM making for the medical industry? In short, they're making "respirators", not "ventilators" which are exponentially more complex and difficult to make. You see, in the world of respirators at the low end you start with something as simple as a dust mask, and as the chemicals, toxins or pathogens increase so does the level of filtering. At the higher ends of 'respirators' you have devices known as positive air pressure respirators. What this means is that filtered air is supplied inside of a contained area to create a positive air pressure which is higher than the area surrounding it, thus the person wearing such a device only breathes the pressurized and filtered air and not the ambient air around them. THIS is what the Ford's and GM's of the world are producing, NOT ventilators.

Which brings us finally to the subject of a "surgical mask". This too is a form of respirator, but it's function is actually the exact opposite of a regular respirator. A surgical mask prevents particles, pathogens, etc. from being passed FROM the wearer TO someone else, say a person on an operating table, or in a dentists office, who is susceptible to infection.

So here's the takeaway from all of this:

1. Critically ill COVID-19 patients need "Ventilators", NOT "Respirators. These are in critically short supply, and very few companies make them.

2. Medical staffs (Doctors, Nurses, EMS, etc) need "Respirators" to protect them from patients who may be infected with a disease such as COVID-19. These are also in critically short supply, but lots of companies make them, including now Ford and GM for the positive pressure versions.

3. The general population is being asked by government officials to wear "surgical masks", not to protect them, but to prevent THEM from transmitting the disease to someone ELSE.

SHAME on the MSM and so many others, government officials AND the medical community included, for not making this matter crystal clear to everyone!

That is all.

edit on 4/14/2020 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Most people don't know you are also put in medically induced coma &
once this happens your chance of dying is so much greater.

I hate to say it, but given the choice I would probably choose experimental drug over ventilator.

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

And...once you're put on a respirator ventilator you have to be "weaned" off of it as well. You can't just shut it off and yank the tube out. It's not that easy.

ETA - And do you know why they are placed in a medically induced coma? Because the human body's most basic primal instinct is to breathe, and every neuron in your body will fight/resist having something shoved down your throat and breathing for you.

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 11:57 AM
link   
just saw Dollar Vigilante newest video, it mentioned that in NYC 80% of patients put to ventilator dies..

If even doctors are trying to limit the use of ventilators.....i dont know , what`s the catch here? Also some believe that the ventilator can push the fluids just further in the lungs...making the condition actually worse....i dont know but i am not sure would i want to get a ventilator . The NYC doctor that previously make video was also saying that this is not typical pneumonia but something else..???

In 13:27

edit on 14-4-2020 by Kenzo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 12:21 PM
link   

These are definitely some important distinctions.

Round here (not ATS), I was talking with someone explaining how I became aware of all this back in December..

It was because I was looking for a respirator for woodwork/finishing, etc.

The response was pretty extreme.

I showed the respirator to illustrate what I was talking about, and was then lectured about intentionally misleading people because "thats not a respirator, and you know it."

I just shrugged and said "hey, Ill try to do better."

It also seems the ventilators are not a great course of treatment either. I told my family about the treatments I want, if for whatever reason I find myself in that situation.. Then remembered there are a lot of restrictions on patient access. Not sure about specifics to my location, but I still figured it couldn't hurt to talk about it.

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Are there no respirators with filtering both in and out? N95 masks just blow your moist breath to in the face of others

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: newthings
Are there no respirators with filtering both in and out? N95 masks just blow your moist breath to in the face of others

Ummm...yes...3M N95 Masks have a valve like a respirator for ease of exhalation...

However...N95 masks are for protecting the...WEARER...against contamination...

These masks are NOT...for protecting the general public against contamination...from the wearer...

The news reports about mask use were misleading at best...and outright criminal IMO...

There are masks...like the surgical blue or white that protect the public from a contaminated individual if worn by the contaminated...

The N95 masks are for protecting the wearer...

HUGE difference there...

So MSM reports that mask use was not going to protect you were false and misleading...

To protect yourself...N95...to protect others from your infectious exhalation...surgical style...

Got it...?
Get it...?
Good...?

YouSir

edit on 14-4-2020 by YouSir because: I can...

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Ummm...excellent post...

There’s been one hell of a lot of misinformation floating around...

Thank You Sir...

YouSir

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I am aware the N95 with a flapper valve is to protect the wearer and the surgical mask is to protect the patient from hospital staff. I ask again, Is there a mask that filters both in and out? A simple question. Since the incubation is so long without symptoms, the wearer may not not they are spreading the virus while protecting themselves with an N95. The surgical mask simply blows the moist air out to the side with no trapping of liquid particles. In our particular circumstance, a mask that had trapping in both directions would be desirable. The N95 without flapper valve is as close as they come. You have to force air in and out through the filter. The face seal is better but not perfect as the mask becomes wet and restrictive. Air escapes around the sides. No reason to get snippy .

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 02:44 PM
link   

they are making ventilators for third party companies that make ventilators, I've seen these ventilators they are making so what are you talking about?

pretty sure they are making both vents and respirators.
edit on 14-4-2020 by namehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 02:47 PM
link   

I am aware the N95 with a flapper valve is to protect the wearer and the surgical mask is to protect the patient from hospital staff. I ask again, Is there a mask that filters both in and out? A simple question. Since the incubation is so long without symptoms, the wearer may not not they are spreading the virus while protecting themselves with an N95. The surgical mask simply blows the moist air out to the side with no trapping of liquid particles. In our particular circumstance, a mask that had trapping in both directions would be desirable. The N95 without flapper valve is as close as they come. You have to force air in and out through the filter. The face seal is better but not perfect as the mask becomes wet and restrictive. Air escapes around the sides. No reason to get snippy .

Just make one and use a surgical mask and hvac filter.

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: newthings

Ummm...yes...there are N95 masks without the valve...

But to what end...one might enquire...?

What would be the point...?

I use 3M N95 masks whenever I work around particulates...I use a respirator for gases and vapor...

As you stated...the valve-less design gets saturated...therefore the best procedure would be to carry many of them and change them as is needed...I’ve read that you can even wash them and they retain 99% effectiveness...

I have Asthma...Asthma sufferers have difficulty expelling air...hence why I use the valve variety...

YouSir

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Yes.

Self contained and supplied air systems can both be had with it.

I am not sure if there are non-powered options. My lungs could never handle that, so I have never even looked.

top topics

join