It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our first test as a collective human race

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I’ve been thinking a lot about covid-19 and it’s effect on our society. I’ve began to see it through a particular lens, and that is that covid-19 is our generations great test.

Other generations have been tested as well, some by vast wars, others by depressions and shortages, and countless other perils.

Some may say that climate change is our great test, and I wouldn’t necessarily disagree. The difference being only that climate change has been a slow change and is still debated by some as to our ability to affect it. Covid-19 has shown up practically overnight, forcing drastic changes in our way of life.

Covid-19 is different in many ways, firstly this many be the first test we face as an entire human race. Even the world wars didn’t reach every corner. This virus is effecting nearly everyone, rich and poor country’s alike, and there is no opting out, no staying neutral.

This virus will bring out the worst in some and I expected that, what has been more of a surprise is the good it’s bringing out across the globe. Countless stories of people organizing locally to help others get through. School closures causing community’s to come together to solve issues of child care without a school system to lean on. Businesses accepting the realization that their employees may need to choose between working, and their family’s safety. Utility company’s telling their customers to not fear service cut offs due to lack of payment during this unprecedented time.

What do I take from all this?

Understanding

This virus is forcing us to be more understanding of the people around us. An entire global population stepping back and saying maybe we should slow down a little, maybe we should put some things on hold to help eachother get by, and I think as a human race we will not only get through this, but it will make each and everyone of us a little more understanding and a little more appreciative of this world.

Not sure what this thread is supposed to be, just me getting some thoughts off the chest I guess. Feel free to post your thoughts on Covids long lasting effects on our society if you’d like.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 10:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantumgamer1776

Not even close. This is one big overblown media event that will disappear in 3 months. MY OPINION. If anything its the first test of a society filled with people almost entirely dependent on media to tell them what to do. I think we're seeing the extremely poor results of that.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Based on the results of the "self quarantine" I saw today (essentially people were treating it like a holiday out with the kids).

I say we failed the test.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Oh god don’t say collective as a species test our win loss ratio sucks. *sarcasm*

🍻
edit on 17-3-2020 by Bicent because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 11:12 PM
link   
a reply to: BoscoMoney

Overblown media event?

You do realize this is a novel virus, transmitted through the air with an incubation period of almost a month in some cases and that one is contagious that entire time. If unchecked it would infect hundreds of thousands at the same time, an event our medical system isn’t equipped to handle and that many would needlessly die if it wasn’t for government guidance and intervention.

I get that the media is leaning into it hard, but it is a serious situation and if we didn’t have the media telling people it’s dangerous and to self quarantine, this virus would be spreading even faster and we would have no way of treating all the infected. In Italy they are literally having to choose who gets to live and who has to die because of this.

Have you seen the infection rate charts compared to other viruses in the past? This is a unique situation that requires whole populations to react.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 11:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: clay2 baraka
Based on the results of the "self quarantine" I saw today (essentially people were treating it like a holiday out with the kids).

I say we failed the test.

There will always be some who don’t take it as serious, I wouldn’t judge the whole class by the grades of the worst student.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Well, I dont agree. You can let me know what you think 3 months from now.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 12:59 AM
link   

I like how you're thinking. Crises and tragedies -- whether on a personal and individual level or a national or global level -- give everyone an opportunity to shine. So often we think that we alone can't make a difference, or that our efforts aren't good enough, or that it's really not that important... But sometimes it just takes a little love and maybe a little courage to make a huge difference. Maybe just for one person. Maybe for many.

Some people will not be able to rise to the challenge, or will not want to. That's okay. Not good, but okay. The bad examples just make us appreciate the good examples that much more.

Thank you for the thread and the thoughts.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 01:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: BoscoMoney

Well, I dont agree. You can let me know what you think 3 months from now.

So if intensive social distancing works and we avert a tragedy here in the U.S. I guess you'll be saying 'See, I told you it was nothing.'

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 02:11 AM
link   
a reply to: MissSmartypants

Touche. On the flip side you all will be telling me it worked.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 02:22 AM
link   

What test? They didn't even hand out pencils before putting
us on bunk status. Someone has shut down the whole world and
by the time we can go back to it a new one will be waiting for
us. We were fools the whole time for ever think'n they had to
take our guns.

The world we just got barred from will never be resuscitated.
Then what? Just what they wanted that's what. A New World Order.
Of course they always get what they want. Because we suffer from
a lack of knowledge. We're up against some very dark wicked forces
that do what they want with us weapons or not.

I don't know about a test but from what I just witnessed we're not just sheep.
We also have a ring in our nose and lack a backbone. Many have weapons
HAh! Who do they shoot? They could kill us all in our homes right now and
never fire a shot. Just send the gas man to every house and leave a valve
on. Most of us are exactly that stupid sighting what they are able
to makes us do.

OBVIOUSLY!

new topics

top topics

join