It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will Corona change colleges forever??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2020 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Like 9-11 changed news casts, and now have the crawler at the bottom of the screen.

Will Corona change colleges? If colleges go online, then won’t people realize that they don’t need to spend tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars for the same education that they are getting at home?

They could use that money to help their families or take a trip around the world and probably learn more that way then in 4 years of college.
Or
Do missionary work and help the 3rd world and still get the same education as before
Or
Just get drunk in foreign countries and improve international relations one person at time.

posted on Mar, 11 2020 @ 06:29 AM
link   
a reply to: SocratesJohnson

Ya simples@ too bright.com

posted on Mar, 11 2020 @ 06:31 AM
link   

It might break the herd mentality so prevalent in higher education today.

posted on Mar, 11 2020 @ 06:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: SocratesJohnson
Like 9-11 changed news casts, and now have the crawler at the bottom of the screen.

Will Corona change colleges? If colleges go online, then won’t people realize that they don’t need to spend tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars for the same education that they are getting at home?

They could use that money to help their families or take a trip around the world and probably learn more that way then in 4 years of college.
Or
Do missionary work and help the 3rd world and still get the same education as before
Or
Just get drunk in foreign countries and improve international relations one person at time.

Hopefully. Group think and indoctrination will cease to exist....and a whole lot of communist professors will become homeless....because they dont know how to do anything else
edit on 11-3-2020 by Oathkeeper73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2020 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Maybe not just colleges but vast swathes of employees may be forced to work from home. Once business get over this enforced hurdle it could result in a shift towards working remotely where ever possible.

posted on Mar, 11 2020 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Oathkeeper73

Another post showing that low education correlates with (ultra-)conservatism.

posted on Mar, 11 2020 @ 07:11 AM
link   
I don't get closing campuses to students. There are still hundreds, if not thousands of staff and faculty (myself included) that are still working on a given campus. What difference is any of this going to make?

posted on Mar, 11 2020 @ 07:29 AM
link   
If the virus hits a "no entry " point, which it has in the US at a few universities and even in Japan, but return dates are not far away. If the return date ( I believe will extend for some time ) extends I see maybe a 2 year gap for a few professions that need the classroom instructions like doctors and so on.
edit on 0300000048292020-03-11T07:29:48-05:00294803am7 by musicismagic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2020 @ 07:34 AM
link   

If colleges go online

That would be amazing.

posted on Mar, 11 2020 @ 07:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: jtrenthacker
I don't get closing campuses to students. There are still hundreds, if not thousands of staff and faculty (myself included) that are still working on a given campus. What difference is any of this going to make?

Reducing population density to minimise transmission. Social distancing.

posted on Mar, 11 2020 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Holy molly...I was just thinking of this this morning...I'm hoping online is the future...this os a great test run of how we really look at our jobs, education, and the use of fiat paper currencies...great time to evaluate all this things...I suspect with money we will be moving to a completely digital form of currency...one particular crypto seems to be getting aquainted with all the banks..I guess the writing is on the wall with regards to xrp/ripple. We are alreeady heading in the direction for online education. We just need to vet ourselves of these ivy league institutions that are essentially favor factories for those who went to school with each other. Work is another story..

posted on Mar, 11 2020 @ 08:11 AM
link   

It depends, one half will say 'we are screwed!!! robots will take our jobs anyway' the other half will say 'this virus will kill us, no more tuition fees yay!!!'

IF the S hits the fan, it's time to go back to apprenticeships, after all it worked for over a thousand years, that is why there are so many smiths in the phone book.

posted on Mar, 11 2020 @ 08:15 AM
link   

ill Corona change colleges forever??

No.

posted on Mar, 11 2020 @ 08:38 AM
link   
My daughter had to answer a survey for her school yesterday. They wanted to know if all students have internet and a computer at home. So yeah, the whole education system is changing now.

It will be temporary, good for high school and college students but parents with young children will end up doing teacher's job at home after working all day.

posted on Mar, 11 2020 @ 08:43 AM
link   

My husband and I had this exact discussion this morning.

I do think that both distance learning, and working will be forever changed.
I don't think they are going to shut down every campus. I think part of the learning experience is
actually living on campus. A first apartment before an apartment.

I think it is a good thing. I do not think what they charge is reasonable, but I do think living in dorms and away from parents is a good thing.

posted on Mar, 11 2020 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Colleges have had online classes for years, I am in college but it's all online as I have literally no time to go and attend an actual class. I prefer it and I have 4 more classes to go before I get mental health degree. I have been doing this for two years now, so nothing new. It is the way of the future because more and more degrees are allowing students to take online classes, some do however have labs but you just go to the college to complete those labs and that's it.

posted on Mar, 11 2020 @ 09:37 PM
link   
This is a great question, and one I've been thinking about and discussing with my colleagues. I am a university professor in my 10th year of teaching. I've always been a proponent for online learning, but there are many faculty (mostly older, but not always) who want nothing to do with online teaching, assessment, etc.

My institution (a large research university) and another nearby are both going to online-only for the rest of the semester. Usually things in academics take ages to change, so something like this happening is virtually unheard of. I'm very happy not to teach my 5:45pm class anymore, though (I'm a morning person)!

I think this will be so successful that administrators, and perhaps even reluctant faculty, will see the merits of online classes. There will always be a need for some face-to-face courses, such as in healthcare, the sciences, and so forth, but this is a step in the right direction, I think.

new topics

top topics

join