It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protests Erupt in Iran after Military Admits Downing Passenger Jet: "Death to the Dictator"

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

it didn't shot itself down and they had to know that much. in terms of "accident - military not involved", that was very unlikely. everyone suspected it was shot down.

denying it in the beginning makes them look even worse. if they needed time to figure out what happened, they could've said so. now, i'm not saying i understand their mentality, but i would assume they're not dumb and understand various possible consequences of such situation, and would realize it's not the best moment for posturing.

for me it kinda looks like they were certain it wasn't their fault, that it couldn't possibly happen. and then... surprise. that rises a few questions.

got a feeling foreign relations will be the least of their problems soon.

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: jedi_hamster

Of course it looks worse, and of course they knew what happened immediately. But they're used to dealing with their people, who they can keep in the dark fairly easily. They are looking at this through those glasses. They thought there was a way out of this that didn't end badly for them and worked towards that goal.

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Do civilian aircraft have IFF I thought you'd have to override a SAM to shoot a civilian aircraft as it should-(maybe it doesn't) know what its looking at.

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Trumps tweet

in Farsi

" To the brave, long-suffering people of Iran: I've stood with you since the beginning of my Presidency, and my Administration will continue to stand with you. We are following your protests closely, and are inspired by your courage."

twitter.com...

twitter.com...

The government of Iran must allow human rights groups to monitor and report facts from the ground on the ongoing protests by the Iranian people. There can not be another massacre of peaceful protesters, nor an internet shutdown. The world is watching.

This man is wickedly wise, don't underestimate him.

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 10:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

yep suposedly the most liked tweet by persians in history not sure exactly how they counted it but trump is on a roll and iran well keeps kind of screwing the pooch so to speak

www.dailymail.co.uk... they briefly detained the British ambassador to iran for about an hour today

The Foreign Office has hit out at Iran for a 'flagrant violation of international law' after the UK ambassador to the country was arrested during a protest in the capital Tehran. Diplomat Rob Macaire was present during demonstrations against Ayatollah Khamenei in front of Tehran’s Amir Kabir University and was arrested after allegedly 'organising, provoking and directing radical actions', according to local reports. Thousands had gathered to demand the supreme leader's resignation after his regime admitted it had mistakenly shot down a civilian passenger plane during retaliation against the US' assassination of Qasem Soleimani. Mr Macaire, a diplomat with 30 years experience, was released following more than an hour in detention.
so if this keeps up trump wont even have to debate military action as it seems the Iranian people are about to try to depose the ayatollah on their own

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

Well this guy doesn't

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: khnum

They have transponders, not the same thing. Civilian aircraft use Mode 3A/C, or combination of both. They also use Mode S. Mode 3A sends a four digit code to the secondary radar system that identifies the aircraft on the screen. Mode C adds pressure altitude data to that.

Military aircraft generally use Mode 1 or 2. Mode 1 is a mission code, and can be adjusted in the cockpit. Mode 2 is a four digit code. In transports it can be changed in flight, in fighters it's set on the ground.

Civilian air traffic control radar generally only "sees" Mode 3, or Mode S. Military aircraft can broadcast on Mode 3 and S for flying in the NAS, as well as 1 and 2. Civilian aircraft aren't equipped for 1 or 2. Air defense radar generally only sees Mode 1 or 2, and use those for IFF interrogation.

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 10:25 PM
link   

So the base point is they thought it was a military aircraft flying on a civilian frequency?

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 10:37 PM
link   

No, they don't usually listen to ATC radar or comms. They should have a departure schedule for the airport, but this flight was an hour late. They saw a skin return without an IFF return on the scope, at a time they weren't expecting a civilian aircraft, and WERE expecting an American response to their attack on Al-Asad and Erbil.
edit on 1/11/2020 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 10:41 PM
link   

i think the base point is that they weren't thinking. Unless they are able to locate the black box and be willing to turn over that information no one will know.

Depending on how their procedure works it could have been someone misidentified the code and labelled it as a military craft, to a glitch, to some asshat pushed the button when he wasn't supposed to.

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 10:43 PM
link   

So a panicked operator shot it out of the sky,I still think the authorities culpable in terms of not shutting down the airspace,the positive is if the US has to go wild weasel and B52 on them they have already demonstrated their level of competence.A skilled operator should not make such a mistake.Thank you for your explanations.

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 10:45 PM
link   
a reply to: AutomateThis1

There should be Boeing flight data,what you'd be looking for I imagine is a sudden abrupt speed stop

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 10:45 PM
link   

They have the recorders, and were trying to figure out where to send them for decoding when they admitted to shooting it down.

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 10:47 PM
link   

A loss of power to both recorders, multiple system failures, and the sound of shrapnel impacts on the fuselage.

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Waterglass

I think it's great that there isn't an executor of protesters around in Iran anymore. We droned him. I think protests could actually lead to regime change after the recent SNAFU of shooting down the plane. I hope more coverage becomes available, and we see more of what the actual IRANIANS in Iran want.

In my opine who the F wants a virgin or some old crusty guy with a stinky beard.

It's OPINION, not OPINE. You've been corrected on this several times, so please please add the few extra letters and say it right. I agree with most of your posts/threads, but that misuse of the word after constantly being corrected is just annoying.

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Well Zaphod is more than likely more up to date than I am with this, so you're probably better off listening to him.

From what it seems though is that the aircraft was more than likely squawkin the right tune and somebody screwed up big time.

In my opinion it doesn't even matter how it happened. It hapoened regardless, and lead to deaths thatbshouldn't have happened. The good thing is that the Iranian military was able to swallow their pride and admit that it was their error that caused this.

They could have just as easily remained adamant that they didn't do it, and who knows how far that could have gone. Over the past week I've heard many opinions that ranged from the US military did it to Trump himself did it. Heck, I even heard a couple of claims that the Russians did it.

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Civilian planes aren't actually supposed to fly where they're going to be shot at. A full up air defense system has other methods to identify a commercial aircraft, but it requires training. More training than a conscript usually gets.

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 11:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Civilian planes aren't actually supposed to fly where they're going to be shot at. A full up air defense system has other methods to identify a commercial aircraft, but it requires training. More training than a conscript usually gets.

What I'm curious of, and you and/or bigburgh would probably know, is were there any other flights out of tehran before this flight?

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 11:34 PM
link   

I was a Fire Controlman in the Navy. I was a CIWS tech so my radar display showed everything as a threat. I would turn around and watch the other radar displays on the Air side and while getting my quals it was explained to me by the OSs that ober in the GCCS area that they get all the IFF codes and then assign a graphical overlay onto each track. So what we would see on our side is if it were air ground, or sub and then if it were friendly or unkown or whatnot.

I don't know what the Iranian military uses so that's outside my knowledge.

I know that civilian planes aren't supposed to fly outside certain paths, but I was under the impression that this happened during takeoff while thebcraft was still in it's initial climb.

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

There were something like 10 flights between midnight and the time this flight took off.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join