It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When Was The First UFO Sighting

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2003 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Does anybody know when the first UFO sighting is and maybe a link as well?

posted on Jul, 9 2003 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Some say UFO's were seen in ancient times and this is reflected in ancient texts such as the Bible. I think there is a book about this called Chariots of Fire.

posted on Jul, 9 2003 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Probably the Summarians. Something like 6000 b.c. But I could be wrong,all we can do is interpret what we think they saw.

posted on Jul, 9 2003 @ 12:36 PM
link   
This sighting in the U.S. by pilot Kenneth Arnold in 1947 is considered the one that coined the phrase" Flying Saucer" and started the UFO craze.

www.spartechsoftware.com...

This other site chronicles earlier sightings in the U.S

www.rense.com...

Who do we believe?

posted on Jul, 9 2003 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Who do we believe?

I don't think its a question of who,but what do we believe.

posted on Jul, 9 2003 @ 01:45 PM
link   
There seems to have been a lot historically. The bible contains references that could very easily be construed as UFOS, if you believe Stitchin (sp) or Alford we were created by aliens and the pyramids are huge radar masts. Painters through history have depicted what can easily been seen to be UFOs, not clouds as some would have you believe. There was the crash in Aurora in 1897, blah blah blah, so many who can say....

The links you want are contained on this Aliens and UFOS forum, look through the pages and you`ll find better stuff than any search engine can offer.

posted on Jul, 10 2003 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by IDontKnow
Does anybody know when the first UFO sighting is and maybe a link as well?

That will get you nowhere, there are pretty old sightings...

I think it would be helpful to know why you are asking. Then it may be easier to answer. Just an idea....

posted on Jul, 10 2003 @ 02:12 PM
link   
The Arnold sighting is considered the first 'modern era' one...and, in essence, serves as the 'first' sighting because it's the oldest one that we can really study. During WW2 there were several sightings of "Foo Fighters" (little balls of light that followed bomber formations), but many people think those were electromagnetic disturbances caused by the aircraft themselves (remember, in WW2 you had 1000+ planes flying in groups at an altitude where cloud to cloud lighting originates).

In the 1890s there were several sightings of "Mystery Airships" in the midwest.

And, during the late middle ages/early modern period, there were several reported "battles" in the sky between weird objects...

Still,
Prior to Arnold, there are every few sightings in the 'nuts and bolts' sense... Many of the pre-modern things (save for the airships) could be interpreted as just religious epiphanies.

If you go to NICAP's website, they have a calender/catalogue of all the early sightings.

Jim

posted on Jul, 10 2003 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freddie
Some say UFO's were seen in ancient times and this is reflected in ancient texts such as the Bible. I think there is a book about this called Chariots of Fire.

A lot of the things mentioned in that are misconceptions. The "glowing metal" is the biblical term for lightning. But I guess it is whatever you think it is....

posted on Jul, 10 2003 @ 09:08 PM
link   
CD, the bible is open to a lot of interpretations. I wish there was a translation that closely resembled the original text.

posted on Jul, 10 2003 @ 09:14 PM
link   

CD, the bible is open to a lot of interpretations. I wish there was a translation that closely resembled the original text.

There is. But it's in Hebrew.

posted on Jul, 10 2003 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Thanks much CD! Care to translate that into either English or Spanish for me?

posted on Jul, 10 2003 @ 09:22 PM
link   
UFO's have been around for ages. Egyptions recording seeing them on Pyramids. Who knows when the actual first sighting occured. But how would ancient people describe a UFO. A burning chariot is an exact reference in the Bible to UFO's.

Nightwalker

posted on Jul, 12 2003 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I think that most likely, UFO's were seen before we could put it in paper.

Who knows when it could of been, it could of happened thousands of years back.

DoWnEr

posted on Jul, 13 2003 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Thanks much CD! Care to translate that into either English or Spanish for me?

Well, if I did, we would be back at the same problem. When you try to translate things, it becomes harder to get the exact meaning(s) of the words to come out. If I would try to translate, I would get the bible you have in your language. That is why the major bible scholars learn hebrew. With out it, you lose some of the meaning, thus giving you different versions like NRS, KJ, and NIR.

join