It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Are 96,000,000 Black Balls on This Reservoir?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: RexKramerPRT
If you can prove the video is wrong about that, please do, but my research has shown it's essentially correct. The "full" treatment is before the reservoir and there's no full treatment after the reservoir, just a UV treatment, which is discussed in this link:

Los Angeles awards $12.4 million for UV disinfection

Calgon Carbon Corporation (NYSE: CCC) announced today that it has been awarded a contract by the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (LADWP) to supply Sentinel Ultraviolet Disinfection Systems (UV systems) for the Los Angeles Aqueduct Filtration Plant (LAAFP) and the Los Angeles Reservoir (LAR)...

The systems apply a carefully controlled dosage of UV light to the drinking water without the use of any chemicals. Ultraviolet disinfection of water occurs by virtue of a physical process which alters the DNA of harmful organisms, rendering them unable to reproduce and cause harm.
That's the treatment the water gets between the LAR and end users of the drinking water, as far as I can tell.

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

in summation:

California is rightly black balled again.

heheh

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arbitrageur
a reply to: RexKramerPRT
If you can prove the video is wrong about that, please do, but my research has shown it's essentially correct. The "full" treatment is before the reservoir and there's no full treatment after the reservoir, just a UV treatment, which is discussed in this link:

Los Angeles awards $12.4 million for UV disinfection

Calgon Carbon Corporation (NYSE: CCC) announced today that it has been awarded a contract by the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (LADWP) to supply Sentinel Ultraviolet Disinfection Systems (UV systems) for the Los Angeles Aqueduct Filtration Plant (LAAFP) and the Los Angeles Reservoir (LAR)...

The systems apply a carefully controlled dosage of UV light to the drinking water without the use of any chemicals. Ultraviolet disinfection of water occurs by virtue of a physical process which alters the DNA of harmful organisms, rendering them unable to reproduce and cause harm.
That's the treatment the water gets between the LAR and end users of the drinking water, as far as I can tell.

I can't prove anything as I can't be arsed looking but 20 years at UK water company tell me that UV disinfection is rarely used at reasonably large, >10Mld, treatment works. Borehole water, maybes up to about 5-7Mld, is often treated in this way as there is no filtration but hypo is still added. The company I work for has it's large scale UV disinfection plants on it's large coastal wastewater plants for bathing water quality reasons.

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358

Solar panels on pontoons would have made a great deal more sense.

^^^^^This is actually a really good question.^^^^^^^

Especially in California...where practically EVERYTHING is labeled as carcinogenic.

Solar panels placed closely together would effectively accomplish the same thing with the side benefit of producing energy. Isn't California supposedly all-in on the green thing also?

Call me a skeptic, but how much you wanna' bet some politician's family member or buddy is in the carbon black plastic ball business???
edit on 5/18/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Gross, so there’s 96 million plastic balls, Black have you, that soak up the sun rays, heat up and leach out what ever chemicals that they are made of, BPH anyone? Probably promote algae growth due to the help of bird droppings on the subsurface of the balls itself. Anything under, small fish etc end up dying, floating up under those black balls, heat from the sun making a soup of nasty parasites, and germs. Nice!

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: NewzNose

Nobody will respond...

.. I got it!!

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 05:36 PM
link   
SO just to be clear this is NOT a new development.

news.nationalgeographic.com...

Done in 2015 it also was a measure to help reduce evaporation losses which are in the neighborhood of 300 million gallons a year. This was during our severe drought

It was like a horror movie watching them stream down the sides into the water by the millions.

Should have AC/Dc perform Big Balls on the spillway

edit on 5/18/19 by FredT because: (no reason given)

<< 1  2   >>

join