It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘White People Food’ Is Creating An Unattainable Picture Of Health

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

Blacks didn't influence the cooking. They didn't bring seeds with them from Africa.

Well of course they did. That's like saying Blacks didn't influence music

This style of cuisine also borrows from African and Native American styles of cookery. A lot of people don’t know that the typical Cajun food was developed by extremely poor people. Refugees and farmers used what they had readily available to feed large families, which is one reason that rice is a staple in most Cajun dishes. Adding rice to a stew could stretch the food so that there would be plenty to eat for days. Rice is still added to Cajun food, even if it is for the love of the flavor, and not for necessity.

Since Cajun country is so close to the Gulf of Mexico, seafood is a main protein in most dishes. Favorites are crawfish, catfish, crabs, and oysters. Seafood was accessible and available, as there were a lot of fishermen. Cajun dishes almost always consist of three vegetables referred to as the “Holy Trinity:” bell pepper, onions, and celery. Parsley, bay leaves, and scallions are commonly used to season food, as well as garlic and cayenne pepper. Gumbo, a staple dish across all cajun kitchen tables, takes its name from the West African and Caribbean name for okra, which is often another main ingredient in many dishes.

I presented a menu that showed just how much the eating habits of African slaves influenced the food culture in the US and the Americas in general. The ingredients and recipes came from Africa during the transatlantic slave trade.

It's likely that something you ate or drank today was first brought to North America by slaves.

Cuisines Of Enslaved Africans: Foods That Traveled Along With The Slave Ships

Sorry - got bored of politics and reached a saturation point on the whole Kavanaugh thing :-)

edit on 9/4/2018 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck
Cajun may have come from Acadian which is correct but Acadian also came from France long before that...

And the Acadians (Cajuns) didn't reach Louisiana until AFTER the Spanish, Caribs and blacks.

Blacks didn't influence the cooking.

Yeah, they did, each part of it, and every culinary history written about the food from Louisiana covers this. If you had something contrary other than your own opinion you would have posted it by now like I did.

Go ahead, I'll give you all the time you need, find something contrary. See you in about never with that info.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Since you're a fan of food and a history buff you might appreciate this:

A Lost Rice Variety — And The Story Of The Freed 'Merikins' Who Kept It Alive

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

The Huffpo piece isn't as stupid as it looks when you read it. Links to this:

Is the Nutrition Industry Neglecting Your Culture?

Culture is everything when it comes to food - as is class. What you grow up with is a big deal when it comes to your preferences

The problem is that woman had the audacity to call it white people food. Took no time at all to draw in the vultures

Only some people are allowed to have a sense of humor seems like
edit on 9/4/2018 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Yesterday I said I was going to do ribs.

Today, ribs smoked and cooked 5 1/2 hours. The side is black eyed peas. Very good. Health food waits for another day.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: StallionDuck

You even read your own source? It says the same thing I just told you. Acadians = Cajuns. Therefore no Acadians/Cajuns, no Cajun Cuisine. The blacks were there before the Cajuns and influenced the cooking.

When you're done re-reading your own link you can read the one I gave you which deals with cooking.

Again.. You're insinuating too much and that the food culture is more in one place than the other. Just because other cultures used the same ingredients doesn't mean they are the originators of that food. Remember... Cajun may have come from Acadian which is correct but Acadian also came from France long before that, among other cultures/races (whatever) and had mixed with Natives when we reached the swamps. Most of the dark skin you see in the Cajun people are not only French but Native as well.

A majority of our traditions and foods were taken down with us. Not all ingredients were oblivious to what is now Canada.

Blacks didn't influence the cooking. They didn't bring seeds with them from Africa. Remember, they were working for the man back then... then French and Spanish man. When they mixed, they became known as Creole. Blacks didn't originate in the caribbean. The Taíno were the natives. Blacks were slaves there, just as were criminals of many races.

You didn't read your own link, did you? It's refuting everything you're claiming here.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

Thanks, I'll check it out.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 08:13 PM
link   

In progressive land, no one is allowed to have a sense of humor because it will invariably offend the butt of the joke.

That's why most comedies these days are asinine. You can only carry on with gross out humor for so long before it gets stale.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 06:28 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

I thought food was just food

I never knew that it was specific to a "race" of people

I used to love eating chicken until I became a vegetarian
but Im not black and loved eating chicken and equally watermelon
I also love collard greens or spring greens in the UK , I eat lots of foods which are common among different world cultures
the whole food industry is just #ing EGO

no one eats for survival alone anymore, its all about satisfying your ego for flavours , textures, and that good feeling !
we wouldn't eat half the # we eat at the moment if we only ate to survive .

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 06:59 AM
link   

I was talking about this the other day about cultural appropriation and music in general.
As a huge fan of blues , i was discussing funk , soul and blues , and how muddy waters had said that the slaves would also mix with the Scots and Irish as often they were just as poor and many of the blues takes their inspiration from celtic folk music among other origins . If it was all African inspired it would sound more African , but it doesn't sound overly African .
Same with the food , its all a melting pot and we all standing on the shoulders of giants !

nothing is really specific to one group of people as they learned from others etc , culture belongs to the human race
the only thing i will say is a bit of decency , when monetisation of cultural practices occurs , food is different as we all eat
so we have that in common , food isn't sacred and so can be allowed to be monitised as everyone needs to eat.
However we dont all practice rain dances , we dont all prey to specific gods etc
so those cultural practices if copied and monetised are really bad practices.

however we as humans no longer really take anything as sacred , we dont value the origins , we just ignore their roots and only care about material gains !

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 09:12 AM
link   

This woman is full of poppycock. Now if you'll excuse me i'm about to indulge myself with a feast of human liver with a side of fava beans and a nice chianti. pff pff pff pff pff.

White people food? seriously? you hand me a bowl of clam chowder and i'll say 'no thanks, i'd rather stick my fingers down my throat, projectile vomit and eat the former contents of my stomach.'

I'm surprised she didn't mention why it's white bread not black bread.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

In progressive land, no one is allowed to have a sense of humor because it will invariably offend the butt of the joke.

Was sorta commenting on how the woman in the story wasn't allowed to be funny

But, just so you know Ketsuko - Progressiveland is still trying to find a prominent place for the word killjoy in it's manifesto

:-)

edit on 9/5/2018 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   
White People Food = Mayonnaise.

At least thats what Black Hitlah told me.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Wait a minute.....

What if the food doesn't self identify as white?

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580
What if the food doesn't self identify as white?

Then that's just throwing shade.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Once again, we have an issue where if you put the words “white people” in front of something...it becomes the fault of all white people, simply because black people don’t partake of it...usually because it doesn’t fit their cultural preference stereotypically. If you were to replace those words with “black people” then it would be a racist statement and the Liberals would cry like little sissies all over the media. Race baiting idiots really need to grow up and take ownership of their own lives. Their lives suck, because THEY suck...not because of white people. Blame games, just pathetic. Take ownership for your own life and maybe you’ll get somewhere, otherwise you’ll always be a loser.
edit on 5-9-2018 by IlluminatiTechnician because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 05:11 PM
link   

I know all cultures created what is food today, but isn't most of what we eat in USA classified as "white people version" of food? I dunno. I am not about to research history of food. I am also not going to go into a chinese place and ask why they do not serve white people food. It is cause it says Chinese on the front. Should Panera say American Panera or Euro Panera(I dunno where they are from) to stop this? Expect euro-american food to dominate American food, cause well, you are in America. Doesn't make sense to me.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 05:12 PM
link   

It's called claiming spoils and we've been doing it for centuries.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic

White People Food = Mayonnaise.

At least thats what Black Hitlah told me.

I am a white person and I have always hated Mayonnaise, onions and peppers....incidentally, I have no problem with Collared Greens and pigskins. They don't want us to stereotype them..but they do the exact same thing to white people. Hypocrite much?

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Last I heard, their expert Dr. Baruch Ben-Yehudah owns a vegan restaurant.

I'd like to see the demographics of his clientele.

Personally, i feel these people with all their opinions about race, culture, politics and food...curiously, if forced to live in a 2nd or 3rd world country for a minimum of six months would sing the same old tired songs, or be proud of home.

You'd love the flag, crave Whataburger and be thankful to be home in my experience.

Mg

edit on 5-9-2018 by missed_gear because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join