It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

African swine fever reaches Europe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 12:16 PM
link   
www.mirror.co.uk...

Deadly African swine fever has reached Europe with the second-largest pig farm on the continent infected.

The grim news for swine farmers comes just days after China slaughtered thousands of hogs in a bid to contain its spread.

The virus has contaminated a farm in Romania containing 135,000 pigs.

Gicu Dragan, from the Bucharest Diagnostic and Animal Health Institute, told local media thousands of pigs would now be culled.

* different from swine FLU.
not good news for a hungry world.
don't think this affects humans.

hope it doesn't come to the USA!!!
edit on 27-8-2018 by ElGoobero because: add linque

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: ElGoobero

Interesting stuff!

In 1971 an outbreak of the disease occurred in Cuba, resulting in the slaughter of 500,000 pigs to prevent a nationwide animal epidemic. The outbreak was labeled the "most alarming event" of 1971 by the United Nations Food and Agricultural Organization.

Conspiracy theory:

Six years after the event the newspaper Newsday, citing untraceable sources, claimed that with at least the tacit backing of U.S. Central Intelligence Agency officials, operatives linked to anti-Castro terrorists allegedly introduced African swine fever virus into Cuba six weeks prior to the outbreak in 1971, for the purposes of destabilizing the Cuban economy and encouraging domestic opposition to Fidel Castro. The virus was allegedly delivered to the terrorists from an army base in the Panama Canal Zone by an unnamed U.S. intelligence source.
en.wikipedia.org...

Wow. Evil lurks everywhere!

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   
How can a farm contain 135,000 pigs? Such intensive factory-farming will always run the risk of the rapid spread of disease. No wishing to go down the the path of ranting about animal welfare, but this disease is usually spread by taking short-cuts and feeding the animals waste food. These practices are thankfully banned in the UK.

Anyway to topic. African Swine Fever spread out of Africa in c. 2007, hitting states around the Caucasus e.g. Georgia, Russia and so on. It spread through Ukraine and has now (in 2017) hit the Czech Republic and was found in wild boars. A small fact that the outbreak in Georgia in 2007 was caused by poor hygiene standards as the pigs were fed waste food from South Africa. Yep, South African waste food travelled thousands of miles: Who would have thought it possible?

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Well that'll teach people to eat pork!

What kills me is the way in which they slaughter those poor pigs
it's disgusting and I hate humans. So glad I'm a veggie head! lol

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 12:54 PM
link   

I think the Vegans are behind this.
Just sayin'...

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 01:03 PM
link   
People farm pigs?
You can't shoot enough of them in Texas Gulf Coast area.
They're like cockroaches.
I bought a freezer specifically for storing pork.
It stays full year round.
I can't give enough away.

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Gross

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Also got China and they rely heavily on pork. I guess its just a matter of time before China lifts their tariff on US pork.

abcnews.go.com...

edit on 8/27/18 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I'm sitting here eating 'pork' fried rice and found this page. Glad it isn't in the States...yet. Ya never know.

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Anyone see that video of them shoving thousands of terrified squealing pigs over a cliff into that big pit? The poor things were hitting the bottom, breaking bones, getting messed up. The sound was awful, they were all screaming. They just buried them alive basically, because they were diseased. Sick F's.

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Hmm, interesting.

Husband works in the animal pharma industry, and he hasn't mentioned anything about it. I know they were working like crazy on the avian flu, so it's strange I haven't heard him mention this one.

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Skorpiogurl

I wouldn't be able to watch that. There are certain things you watch and just can't get out of your head. The description was enough for me. It makes my blood boil when I see animal abuse.

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
It makes my blood boil when I see animal abuse.

You mean like the millions of animals that get killed every year (rats, rabbits, moles, snakes etc) during the harvesting of crops?

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueShaman

I love animals! I'm glad I don't have to kill my own food or I'd starve. And...plants have feelings too.

edit on 27-8-2018 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 07:43 AM
link   

a reply to: Skorpiogurl

I wouldn't be able to watch that. There are certain things you watch and just can't get out of your head. The description was enough for me. It makes my blood boil when I see animal abuse.

I didn't want to watch it but it caught me off-guard before I knew how to turn off automatic video on my FB feed. Yeah, it was horrifying and I can't get the image out of my head either. Poor babies. I'm trying to walk that fine line between advocating and just saying the plain truth here.

And NOT promoting veganism so people can get that idea out of their he

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 07:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlueShaman

It makes my blood boil when I see animal abuse.

You mean like the millions of animals that get killed every year (rats, rabbits, moles, snakes etc) during the harvesting of crops?

No, she means like the way they torture and abuse animals at some of the large live-stock farms out there. I can name off at least a dozen incidents of workers hurting our animals for absolutely no reason what so ever. I won't get into the details, anyone can YouTube or Google about it and see the horrific images and videos for themselves. I just love it when it's time for the dog eating week in China. It's totally awesome how they make those dogs absolutely suffer in agonizing pain, terrified out of their minds not having a clue as to what's happening to them... all in the name of...??? I'm not sure why.

new topics

top topics

join