It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Officer Suspended Over Social Media Post About David Hogg

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I’m not going to comment on whether the cop should have been suspended, but I will say I’m getting tired of all the hate spewed on social media these days. Everybody’s putting everybody down - people are implying violence and killing would be a good thing, people are suggesting that other people kill themselves and do everyone else a favor, people are body shaming...It goes on and on.

What has happened to us? I don’t think we always spoke this way to complete strangers. Why do we think it’s okay to do it now?

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing

originally posted by: muzzleflash

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask
I can't help but feel that certain people are actively trying to push one side or the other of this country into snapping......

Well, this is the nation that spawned Jerry Springer and Maury Povich.

And Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton.

Oh Gawd don't remind me, lol.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

The internet provides anonymity which emboldens people to spew their vile poison without someone grabbing them and flushing their head down the toilet.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

In the old days, we used to call it Parenting. We'd get spanked and grounded for being disrespectful. You have to wonder what happened to this guys parents?

I never met anyone spanked or grounded for sh#t-posting on the internet. Most of us learned manners when interacting with human beings, not our computers; but I doubt many of us learned that old, child proverb: "Sticks and stones".

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 05:17 PM
link   
My thoughts on the matter.....

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

The internet provides anonymity which emboldens people to spew their vile poison without someone grabbing them and flushing their head down the toilet.

I’m just baffled as to why there is so much vile poison within people. I’ve never even thought most of the hateful things that people actually write on social media.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
I’m not going to comment on whether the cop should have been suspended, but I will say I’m getting tired of all the hate spewed on social media these days. Everybody’s putting everybody down - people are implying violence and killing would be a good thing, people are suggesting that other people kill themselves and do everyone else a favor, people are body shaming...It goes on and on.

What has happened to us? I don’t think we always spoke this way to complete strangers. Why do we think it’s okay to do it now?

The internet happened.. social media happened

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 05:22 PM
link   

People are angry, something in the air or the food? I dont know....

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 05:24 PM
link   

I’m just baffled as to why there is so much vile poison within people. I’ve never even thought most of the hateful things that people actually write on social media.

It's the perception of anonymity online.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Sensitivity Training = time to practice Mystery Science Theater 3000 shtick.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Whoah, five days un-paid leave AND sensitivity training? What is this world coming to?! Even when cops kill unarmed people, they still get paid leave -- this has got to be one of the most severe punishments I've ever seen doled out against an officer; this officer must really have effed up!

Then I read he said an old lady should drive over a buncha protesters -- ok he didn't kill anybody and what he said was supremely stupid, especially for someone tasked with protecting the public, but he really didn't harm anyone. He said something stupid and he should apologize, possibly just the training, which I would imagine is embarrassing enough to the cop culture.

Either that or compared to this, we need to start holding the officers that kill people to a much tougher standard.

link   

originally posted by: AScrubWhoDied

Yeah, I’m anonymous too — still don’t want to talk about how cool it would be if someone was run over, or how someone looks like an ape, or any of the other awful things people feel the need to write on social media. I just don’t really feel the urge to actually type that stuff out. I’m wondering why so many others do.

link   

edit on 30-5-2018 by kaylaluv because: Ooops

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Cops can shoot an unarmed man in the back and get a paid vacation, but if he makes a personal post and upsets David Hogg he gets unpaid suspension......
David Hogg is the poster child for cry babies , but seems come across as violent when he speaks.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: AScrubWhoDied

Yeah, I’m anonymous too — still don’t want to talk about how cool it would be if someone was run over, or how someone looks like an ape, or any of the other awful things people feel the need to write on social media. I just don’t really feel the urge to actually type that stuff out. I’m wondering why so many others do.

Displaced aggression is nothing new, now there's the internet that's readily available to anyone that's had a bad day and wants to 'kick the dog'.

Be careful, there's a very big difference between perceived anonymity and anonymity.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 05:37 PM
link   
It’s nice that I am self employed, I can almost say what I think. On the flip side if I stated my thoughts on little Hogg with out a filter I would be penalized by ATS.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: AScrubWhoDied

David Hogg for making himself an objectionable little twit, and no, that's not because of his political views.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 05:40 PM
link   

That's a fair point. But we should also wonder why so many people are outraged by it, when any given social media participant can look to their right, look to their left, and realize that they are utterly alone.

The funny thing about social media is how anti-social it is. There is nothing social about it, and we shouldn't pretend that it is.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: AScrubWhoDied

I guess there’s just a lot of angry hateful people out there. More than I ever thought there was. And they’re just lapping this online stuff up, cuz it gives them a chance to really spew their hate and let it all out. I assume it makes them feel really good to do it, or they wouldn’t be doing it.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

I’m not really outraged — just saddened.

I will agree with your last statement. Social media is anything but social.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join