It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eye Opener - United States Ranks 31st In Gun Deaths. Not Great but Not The Worst.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

You need to be 18, pass a safety course(PAL), it may have to be renewed every 5 yrs, then be passed by the police, upon that you can buy bolt action rifles and shotguns..no registering required. They must be safely stored, not loaded, in a gunsafe(I will have to look up the particulars)
For semi auto rifles and handguns(restricted firearms) you need an extra safety course for restricted firearms..not a big deal..these must be registered, and there are magazine size limits, I could be wrong but I think rimfire might not have mag limits.
There are no carry permits for anything, you can transport to the range, hunt..etc but no one is packing.
Off the top of my head that's basically it.
edit on 20-2-2018 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca...

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 09:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
We'd do far better with education reform, common sense economics, and better healthcare than gun control.

Those items would certainly enhance the overall quality of life for Americans, more than gun-control.
edit on 2/20/2018 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Take this question into perspective. What is the ratio of firearms used in self defense or to protect property in relation to firearms stolen or used without owners consent?

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 11:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: eManym
Take this question into perspective. What is the ratio of firearms used in self defense or to protect property in relation to firearms stolen or used without owners consent?

I'm having trouble determining what conclusion we could draw, if both of those numbers were known. Help?

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 03:01 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Wow.. Mexico did not even make that list! I wonder what is going on in these countries.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Graphs, you can spin them like you want.

One might say, the US is place ~30, and that sounds pretty neat. Then you look at the number of countries in the world and realize it´s in the upper 1/6.

Now that does not sound so neat for a developed country, or does it?

And then there is this:
www.nytimes.com...

I´m not agains guns, just saying that drawing a 0/1 conclusion out of a statistic is bound to be wrong.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 07:37 AM
link   
When Chicago, Detroit, LA and Baltimore are removed from gun statistics, our rank falls dramatically. But discussing that would be inappropriate.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 07:52 AM
link   
It takes some serious cajones, wait this is America, balls to spin a report that paints America's gun violence as only slightly better than 3rd world countries as a good thing.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I doubt that I could have worded it better! Here, is a wagon load of stars:

***********************************************************************************************************************************************
***********************************************************************************************************************************************

Now some mod needs to count them and subtract them from my statistics, please

that brings me to an idea, I´ll set sail for the "forum related board"

edit on 21-2-2018 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 08:21 AM
link   

We are so proud.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

You can’t spend all your time worrying about where your next Twinkie is going to come from

Zombieland Rule #32 – Enjoy the Little Things

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

You need to be 18, pass a safety course(PAL), it may have to be renewed every 5 yrs, then be passed by the police, upon that you can buy bolt action rifles and shotguns..no registering required. They must be safely stored, not loaded, in a gunsafe(I will have to look up the particulars)
For semi auto rifles and handguns(restricted firearms) you need an extra safety course for restricted firearms..not a big deal..these must be registered, and there are magazine size limits, I could be wrong but I think rimfire might not have mag limits.
There are no carry permits for anything, you can transport to the range, hunt..etc but no one is packing.
Off the top of my head that's basically it.

www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca...

Thanks, those are closer than I thought to my area(Midwest USA). Other than the permit to purchase shotguns and rifles(you just need to be 18, pass a background check and of course not be a felon, but no course). It sounds pretty similar on the handgun front(our permits to purchase expire yearly IIRC).

Oh, the biggest difference I see is the registration. We have no "official" registration lists in this country. But data retention within the background check system and within other agency is surely being "pooled" somewhere IMO.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 08:45 AM
link   
a reply to: PublicOpinion

I don't digest junk of any kind. Keep your Twinkies and B grade entertainment.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

originally posted by: Wardaddy454

February 20, 2018

This was surprising to learn. At #31, the United States ranks quite a ways down the list of countries, when it comes to the number of GUN DEATHS per 100,000 citizens. We are not as violent of a country, as the News Media wants us to think we are.

Low levels of gun violence, seem to correlate with economic prosperity:

Take countries with the top indicators of socioeconomic success — income per person and average education level, for instance. The United States ranks ninth in the world among them, bested only by the likes of Luxembourg, Denmark, Norway, the Netherlands, Iceland, Andorra, Canada and Finland.

Those countries all also enjoy low rates of gun violence, but the U.S. has the 31st highest rate in the world: 3.85 deaths due to gun violence per 100,000 people in 2016. That was eight times higher than the rate in Canada, which had .48 deaths per 100,000 people — and 27 times higher than the one in Denmark, which had .14 deaths per 100,000.
SOURCE with Global Charts: www.npr.org...

If greater "prosperity" brings less gun-violence, you'd think that the United States would be more in line with Canada. I think our prosperity levels are about equal, aren't they?

Instead, as the chart at the link indicates, the United States is more like IRAQ and THAILAND, when it comes to the number of murders by gun.

-CareWeMust

And of those deaths, I wonder how many account for suicides and accidental discharges.

Would those type of gun-deaths change the country-by-country comparison by a meaningful amount?

When "gun deaths' are a catch all statistic presented to make people think killed by a gun wielded by someone else with ill intent, sure.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 04:32 PM
link   

A few govt's ago, they did require rifles and shotguns to be registered, even though the data was supposed to be destroyed when they rescinded the registry, I'm sure they still have that data somewhere.

Another key difference might be the storage rules..they all have to be locked up and unloaded, unless in transit to the range..probably need triggerlocks though for transport.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

Your system is similar to ours, do you need to keep the guns seperatly from the ammunition while in storage/during transport?

And a skookum safe...

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

Yes, ammo must be kept seperate. A safe, or secure room is ok for storage.
Here are our rules
firearmslaw.ca...

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 09:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
Yes, lets strip our law-abiding fellow citizens of their Constitutional rights because of someone with mental illness did something crazy. Never mind that it won't change a damn thing because it doesn't solve the real problem.

That there are people who voted for Trump that are allowed to have guns cause no mental illness is officially assigned to them anyway? People who fall for Trump's act and rhetoric do seem to have some mental issues. Don't know if you can call it an illness.

Trump-addiction....just as bad as Obama-addiction.

edit on 21-2-2018 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 09:17 PM
link   

February 20, 2018

This was surprising to learn. At #31, the United States ranks quite a ways down the list of countries, when it comes to the number of GUN DEATHS per 100,000 citizens. We are not as violent of a country, as the News Media wants us to think we are.

Low levels of gun violence, seem to correlate with economic prosperity:

Take countries with the top indicators of socioeconomic success — income per person and average education level, for instance. The United States ranks ninth in the world among them, bested only by the likes of Luxembourg, Denmark, Norway, the Netherlands, Iceland, Andorra, Canada and Finland.

Those countries all also enjoy low rates of gun violence, but the U.S. has the 31st highest rate in the world: 3.85 deaths due to gun violence per 100,000 people in 2016. That was eight times higher than the rate in Canada, which had .48 deaths per 100,000 people — and 27 times higher than the one in Denmark, which had .14 deaths per 100,000.
SOURCE with Global Charts: www.npr.org...

If greater "prosperity" brings less gun-violence, you'd think that the United States would be more in line with Canada. I think our prosperity levels are about equal, aren't they?

Instead, as the chart at the link indicates, the United States is more like IRAQ and THAILAND, when it comes to the number of murders by gun.

-CareWeMust

And of those deaths, I wonder how many account for suicides and accidental discharges.

Would those type of gun-deaths change the country-by-country comparison by a meaningful amount?

When "gun deaths' are a catch all statistic presented to make people think killed by a gun wielded by someone else with ill intent, sure.

Good point. That article didn't specify the TYPE of deaths that occurred by gun. I couldn't locate the original research document on the website of the organization that conducted the research. Too many rabbit holes.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join