It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Social Media, Cell Phones, and Filming Everything

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 06:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

I'm glad they filmed it, now it can potentially shut up all the 'crisis actor', 'the government did this' type wackos.

Or not, since, you know, they're wacko.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 06:44 AM
link   

It drives me insane! They want likes, views and comments like it validates their existence in some way. They have zero respect for privacy.

I have some millennial age people on my facebook and they post EVERYTHING they do all day long. It's really annoying and then they complain when people dont' comment or like their videos. I have a couple who post live feed videos of absolutely nothing, them playing video games or just talking about absolutely nothing. I shake my head and wonder how they even made it this far in life.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 09:35 AM
link   

I thought the same thing when I watched that vid.

Don't think i'd get my phone out and hit record but never know in the moment. I think i'd probably be more seeking a wasy out of the building. If i was stuck in a room i'd get to the window, open it and get out, especially if the shooter was walking towards that room. On the other hand if I had a gun of my own, i'd wait until he opened the door up and shoot him dead.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Thanks for all the replies.

So I saw another video from one of the classrooms. The SWAT team comes busting in to clear the room and tells all the kids to put their hands up. I kid you not, the last thing you hear is "Put your phones away..." Every kid is in their filming sh*t.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Dependence on technology is a good way to dumb down children, allowing phones in public schools is a sure quick way to stupidity. I think it's nuts to allow phones in school.

Millennial parents are idiots to allow it to happen.....

edit on 12021228am282018Thu, 15 Feb 2018 10:12:21 -0600 by imitator because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: imitator

Dependence on technology is a good way to dumb down children...

Should we not use calculators in math class and do everything via an abacus? How about using computers? What other tech needs to be removed from schools?

Comments like this make me laugh.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Should we not use calculators in math class and do everything via an abacus? How about using computers? What other tech needs to be removed from schools?

HAha abacus... that is old school talk there lol.

There are many ways to teach numbers and math to kids.

A cell phone is more than a calculator or a computer, it's a social distraction. Therefore your kids mind will probably be in the gutter than on it's calculator etc.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Some of you are more upset over students using their cell phones to potentially tell their final goodbyes to their family as opposed to the notion of a mass shooting.

I'm so past done with these conversations. Nothing is ever going to be done about these shootings.

Smoking pot is still more of a taboo issue than mass shootings, we're currently averaging 2.5 school shootings a day and the current administration wants to crack down on pot and build a #ing wall.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 11:10 AM
link   

You and I existed prior to the days when the Digital Ego could stand in for actual ego.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I didn't use calculators until geometry IIRC (Maybe Algebra).. into trig and calculus. You still needed to learn the basics. Most of these kids can't do simple calculations by hand. They forget their phone or calculator and they can't make simple change at a cash register.

Technology is important, but in some ways it is making everyone dumber because we are too dependent on it. I bet most of these kids couldn't write five paragraphs by hand nowadays, much less write in cursive.

I don't have an issue with the phones, but it is the constant need to broadcast everything to the world. It goes beyond just having simple memories or mementos of events. There is something narcistically wrong. I don't think all this social media stuff is good mentally for people.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: RomeByFire
Some of you are more upset over students using their cell phones to potentially tell their final goodbyes to their family as opposed to the notion of a mass shooting.

I think everyone is opposed to mass shootings.

I'm also opposed to stupidity. A student on a cell phone while everyone is getting shot could win a Darwin Award.

Taking cell phone pics of the victims and posting them on the internet without the their family consent is pure evil and disrespectful.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 06:04 PM
link   

There are many ways to teach numbers and math to kids.

Who said anything about teaching? It's a way to execute the calculations efficiently.

A cell phone is more than a calculator or a computer, it's a social distraction. Therefore your kids mind will probably be in the gutter than on it's calculator etc.

I'm not aware of any school district that permits you to post on social media during class. And kids don't need cell phones to be distracted, there were plenty of ways to do that in class prior to their invention.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 06:05 PM
link   

You're starting to sound like a grump old man.

How much were the talkies in your day?

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
What is with millenials and people in general these days who feel the need to film and post every freaking thing that happens in their lives? It is almost like people have zero boundaries.

I'm not going to post it, but I just happened to be checking out a website and they had a video from inside the school that was shot up today of students being evacuated. Students were clearly distraught, crying, etc. One kid lying dead on the floor bleeding out. What really got me was that several of the kids have their phones out filming everything. I mean WTF?

I get it is easy to whip out a phone, but I've never once thought about filming something in the middle of a life threatening situation. I've come upon car accidents, people hurt, etc over the past couple of years and at no point has it crossed my mind, "hey let me film this tragedy and post it on instagram."

Anyway... just a rant.

Talk to this generation of 12 year olds who dont understand because everyone of their friends and parents have had them for over 30 years now. That argument cant be won. We...who think this way...are our parents of yesterday.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I recently saw this clip about a 21-year-old who went to North Korea.

Then he had this camera on his head that filmed everything (when filming was allowed).

He has his reasoning, but the other tourists on the bus start to get seriously upset with him.

He claims it was an age difference.
But he justifies filming everything.

However, the other tourists got so annoyed with him, they found him alone in a bar, and then they cornered him, all taking pics of him.

He seemingly came home more shaken by the other tourists than the North Koreans.

I wonder, can filming become an obsession?
Like some hoard wild animals as pets.

edit on 15-2-2018 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join