It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PEOPLE vs Socal Edison? Class action suits emerge as ~1K bldgs lost to Thomas Fire

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 10:21 AM
link   

With Thomas being the largest california wildfire in history so far yet, can't imagine in today's litigious atmosophere any of the roughly 1,000 properies owners taking legal action for their homes and offices incinerated during this extended scorcher that lasted over a week.

So far looks like 50 parties vs SCE in just one preliminary suit alone:

www.keyt.com...

50 Clients from Ventura and Santa Barbara Counties

Everyone knows elec in So Cal costs an arm and a leg, so it will be interesting to see in coming months/years how much SCE settles for or if it allows to go to jury trial.

If SCE didn't cause it, who dun it, though?

Certain characteristics of these socal fires last month are only now surfacing, and quite peculiar are some:

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 10:36 AM
link   
If some dumbass started the fire with his charcoal grill in the back yard, could the utility company file suit on him for burning down their poles?

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 10:36 AM
link   
It will take years and the only winners are the lawyers. Never get involved in a class action.

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Indeed would be swell in a society where each of the thousand or so properties' owners send a bill to the alleged blamant and the blamant offers a settlement.. but way i see it, big bully companies that are practically monopolies dont take anyone seriously unless goes to COURT =L

Following that one-sidedness, utility companys indeed just tend to bill you for use and damages to their easements no matter who done it on your property then send you to collections and ultimately court without even investing a lawyer for your particular account/case from the start, yea.

Corp America

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 11:02 AM
link   
The cause of the original fire is currently unknown; locals reported seeing a steel power pylon explode near 7 p.m. on December 4, at the origin point of the second fire. However, the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power, which owns the power lines in the area, denied that there had been any breaks in the power line.
Statements by government officials

The fire started in 2 places 30 minutes and 4 miles apart.

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: mikell
The cause of the original fire is currently unknown; locals reported seeing a steel power pylon explode near 7 p.m. on December 4, at the origin point of the second fire. However, the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power, which owns the power lines in the area, denied that there had been any breaks in the power line.

its almost always a person who sets these fires on purpose and the strange thing is its usually someone in a position that is supposed to prevent fires. i remember when one of these people were caught a decade or so ago he had admitted to hundreds of fires being set over years. im going off memory here but i believe something like 96% of all fires are intentionally started by someone according to an old study i read on this over a decade ago. i could be wrong its been a long time so take that with a grain of salt.
edit on 5-1-2018 by TheScale because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I live here in Santa barbara and some of us are still feeling the effects of the smoke that bombarded us for almost a month straight. This HAPPENS EVERY YEAR like clockwork. To call it suspicious is saying the least. Every year there are fires up and down the coast, cities apart from each other, ALWAYS at the exact same time.

The firefighters get paid overtime, 24 hours a day, until the fire is out. THINK ABOUT THIS! The temptation must be overwhelming for them.

Here are just a few of the recent firefighters who have been caught doing just that:

www.latimes.com... xplorer-arsonist-charges-20170807-story.html
www.foxnews.com... 2/23/firefighter-turned-arsonist-sentenced-for-setting-fire-on-federal-land.html
wildfiretoday.com... ced-for-arson/

The whole SoCAL Edison is something people have been discussing lately here in town and i am still trying to wrap my head around their motive, if any.

There are signs EVERYWHERE thanking the firemen for their heroism and to be honest it infuriates me to look at them considering the facts, i just want to rip them down! Or better yet, burn them.

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheScale

originally posted by: mikell

its almost always a person who sets these fires on purpose and the strange thing is its usually someone in a position that is supposed to prevent fires. i remember when one of these people were caught a decade or so ago he had admitted to hundreds of fires being set over years. im going off memory here but i believe something like 96% of all fires are intentionally started by someone according to an old study i read on this over a decade ago. i could be wrong its been a long time so take that with a grain of salt.

Nailed it!

top topics

join