It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atlanta GA City Council unanimously passes legislation to decriminalize marijuana

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Since when does a city council have this ability? Wouldnt this require a state law? Dont get me wrong I am all for it. And jealous because I live nearby and i have been royally #ed this year for mj. Ill leave it at that.

I just ask because I remember Mobile, AL was going to vote on this same thing before realizing they dont have the power to do so? Thats what the local news reported at least.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 11:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

You and me both. Although Phage had some disturbing info about State laws trumping County/City laws. So we shall see.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 11:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage
Yep , every time so far...
State and local . even for medicinal purposes.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 11:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Justso

You and me both. Although Phage had some disturbing info about State laws trumping County/City laws. So we shall see.

I think this has been done 10 (?) times in the last few years.
This too will be rescinded .
This will come down to Deal and Reed.
We cant even pass a statewide bill for usage for medicinal purposes . Not even under very strict conditions

edit on 10/2/17 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

edit on 10/2/17 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 12:02 AM
link   

This has burst my bubble-crazy - scared conservatives.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 12:11 AM
link   

This has burst my bubble-crazy - scared conservatives.

You could say I am a conservative in some respects. However , there are times to consider all inclusive.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Best news of the year. Seriously... the world needs more weed. People need to chill out.
edit on 10/3/2017 by EternalSolace because: Grammar "the" to "to"...

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 12:14 AM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

Keeps the masses cooled out and mellow.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Now to get those lone wolves... (or government folk if you're a conspiracist) to smoke some weed...

edit on 10/3/2017 by EternalSolace because: grammar

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 01:44 AM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

It wasn't so long ago that you could be banned from ATS for even mentioning the subject of marijuana in any context other than critical. Squaresville man.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 01:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Golden Rule

It wasn't so long ago that you could be banned from ATS for even mentioning the subject of marijuana
Only if you were very persistent in doing so.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 01:50 AM
link   

I live in Fayette County which is just south of Atlanta bordering Fulton County and have been told that up to 75% of the people in jail here are there because of possession of less than 1 ounce of pot. And they treat you really nasty in this county.

This is great news-hoping it will become contagious but I doubt it-still old fashioned conservatives here.

I know a ton of old fashioned conservatives who are very against the entire war on drugs, and I also know plenty of tree hugging liberals who want to see more drug courts with jail time. So these old worn out stereotypes are really just more fake news.
(maybe not always, but just saying.)
edit on 3-10-2017 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Ja, but one was permitted to be persistent in condemnation and criticism of the use of marijuana

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 02:02 AM
link   

I don't recall anyone doing that. Actually.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 03:26 AM
link   
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

It is slowly turning here but the extremely conservative politicians here would not dare to even broach the subject-especially if it's around election time. Fayette County has many different political factions, like others, but it is very family oriented old school so there is no way anything like this would be touched. I'm looking to moving out asap but probably not anywhere that will be much different as far as drug laws are concerned. That's the south for you.
edit on 3-10-2017 by Justso because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 04:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

I don't recall anyone doing that. Actually.

you only recall scientific data

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 11:09 AM
link   

That's how it usually works, right? Similar to federal law trumping state law.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
The state may not take kindly. Probably will not survive.

In all states, a city or county may enact a local ordinance as a criminal law that covers the same crime or violation as a state law but only if the penalty provided by the local ordinance is higher than the state statute. A local ordinance cannot be used to create a lesser penalty for a crime or traffic offense than state law.

en.wikipedia.org...

Supposing Reed does not veto it and it remains in effect, I am curious to see what happens insofar as enforcement is concerned in the city if state law prevents a local ordinance from creating a lesser penalty.

Then again, we have state laws that have removed criminality/penalty even though federal prohibition remains.

It will be interesting...if he doesn't veto it.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

The US needs to decriminalize this plant already and get on with more important things.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrStevenBrule
a reply to: Liquesence

The US needs to decriminalize this plant already and get on with more important things.

I can't disagree with that. It never should have been made illegal to begin with, but "propaganda."

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join