It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Theater Stops Showing ‘Gone With the Wind,’ Ran For Decades-Now Deemed ‘insensitive’

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Hundreds of thousands of Black, White, Latino, and Asian lives are ruined or ended by drugs and gang violence. You would think that groups like BLM, the KKK, and La Raza would put drugs and gangs at the top of their to-do list. Instead, the prime targets are statues and old movies.

I guess it's comforting to know that when a young black man is laying in a pool of his own blood from a stray bullet his last vision won't be of an offensive statue. If a mother hasn't sold the TV to buy heroin, the kids left at home won't have to watch an offensive movie from the past.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Gone with the Wind went Up in smoke.

Gasp!

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Who is doing the complaining?

I'm with you on that one. Maybe nobody from that city ever complained. Just "certain people" who wanted to "stir the pot".

Oh and:

Rhett Butler: Take a good look my dear. It's an historic moment you can tell your grandchildren about - how you watched the Old South fall one night.

Prophetic? LOL.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 02:37 PM
link   
More irony.

Why would anybody want to talk about "Gone with the Wind" right in the middle of the Hurricane of the decade hitting?

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords
First African American to win an academy award was from Gone With the Wind. Hattie McDaniel who played the role of 'Mammy' won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress. It was a start. Her performance was amazing.

I wonder if they even KNOW THAT !!

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Are they going to burn the books, too. Gone With the Wind is one of my favorite books, rich in storyline, characters, and history. I loved the movie, too, but it's very long.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

I wouldn't mind if they burned all the books in the LBJ presidential library.

Tribute to a RACIST,white supremacist,nazi.

The REAL DEAL.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

" Gone With The Wind "

Sounds like someone who just left the room with a bad case of flatulence.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Gone with the wind is a good movie. I think the people who are saying it is bad should be seeing a psychiatrist, obviously they are delusional. Like is not always sensitive, there are ups and downs to living. There are good people and bad people lacing society, you cannot live in a shoebox all your life.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

Maybe nobody from that city ever complained. Just "certain people" who wanted to "stir the pot".

The 'insensitive' ones. Who prefers not to be reminded of Americas slave history?

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
More irony.

Why would anybody want to talk about "Gone with the Wind" right in the middle of the Hurricane of the decade hitting?

Yeah, seems like the timing is too perfect, maybe it isn't a coincidence.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: seasonal
...what movies are you going to show?

How about Blazing Saddles?

Couldn't imagine the outrage had that film been released in the last 2 years.

As far as GWTW....sad....guess those that are now angered suddenly became that way....wonder why?

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 03:00 PM
link   

This ones funner. Very incorrect though.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

I wonder how many complaints it took to get the film yanked?

Is there a number or threshold of complaints, or does it matter what the complaint is?

Of course this is a private business and they can show what ever their patrons want. Good luck to them, new movies can be much more offensive if we all act like they are real. Movies are not real.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   
They'll more than likely remake GWTW with an all black cast starring Will Smith!

I bet the ones that want the movie removed didn't watch it, they probably just saw the movie's poster, not knowing what it was in it.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: ntech

This ones funner. Very incorrect though.

When it came out, that film was comedy royale, a laugh ariot. It made fun of everything from gubment corruption (work, work, work) , gays, (the 'fight' scene ending) to directly poking fun at slavery, racism, not only of the Deep "Good ole boy' South then but even the Nazis, KKK, and average white middle class white folk (closet racists) of today.

I still love it.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 03:18 PM
link   

I wonder how many complaints it took to get the film yanked?

Is there a number or threshold of complaints, or does it matter what the complaint is?

Tennessee was and still is a Southern State. Not truly Deep South, just 'East Central South', lol.

Who do we think owns the movie theatre there?

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: seasonal
...what movies are you going to show?

How about Blazing Saddles?

Form a land before time when people could still laugh at racism...

Mel Brooks is that one magical friend everybody has that seems to get away with saying the most un-PC things without offending people.

It comes down to whether or not you are glorifying the racism or making fun of the racist.

It's why when Mac from Always Sunny does black face Danny Glover, it's not this huge national deal because it's clear that Mac is a ignorant fundie and his views are not glorified; nobody wants to be like Mac. Contrast this to very serious black face performances in the past that was used to either mock black people or deny black actors roles in movies.

Somebody mentioned Django like it was worse than Gone With the Wind. It is not. For the same reasons I explained above. Gone With the Wind romanticized the era while Django shone a spotlight on it.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: Deaf Alien

Maybe nobody from that city ever complained. Just "certain people" who wanted to "stir the pot".

The 'insensitive' ones. Who prefers not to be reminded of Americas slave history?

No. I thought my "innuenedo" was "clear". Hint: this is a conspiracy theory site.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Don't worry they said. It's only one flag they said.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join