It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teens filmed, laughed while man slowly drowned, authorities say

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Kryties

You think I have been alive 32 years in Florida and not helped myself?? I actually know how to swim. I have been taken by a rip tide near Daytona Beach where they had that sling shot when I was fourteen. Me and a friend. He panicked his ass off and probably would have drowned had I not been there to remind him of what we are taught in school about rip tides and swimming back to shore. So we swam parallel and made it back exhausted. Of course we had to walk back nearly a mile just to get back to our parents.

Point being, go ahead, wish me all the ill will you can. I will be fine
I don't go attempt suicide and then beg for help upon realizing it was a bad idea. Usually people are thrilled when trap stars kill themselves off. This man was no saint to his community you know. He did the neighborhood a favor actually, one less person pushing dope and illegal arms on the street.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hecate666

originally posted by: Liquesence
a reply to: Hecate666

As was posted and discussed in the other thread, there is NO duty to rescue in Florida.

What you quoted and linked to is, in fact, the statute involving the motor vehicle division, which generally does not cover the general public involving legal duty to rescue someone is distress.

Florida: 316.062 Duty to give information and render aid.

ETA:

Cocoa Police Chief Mike Cataloupe calls their actions "utterly inhumane and cruel," but says criminal charges won't be filed because state law doesn't require people to help or call 911 when someone's in distress.

"Short of them pushing him in the water, we don't have anything that can hold them accountable on a criminal level,"
CBS

Yeah, there was more to my post in the actual link. I didn't fancy pasting the whole page, you had to click the link yourself, sorry about that.

Had you clicked on the link and read you would have seen that indeed you are wrong. Only what I quoted may fit into what you are claiming but there is more. Please go back and check. It covers civil law as well and it covers a whole lot of countries where duty to rescue is an actual law.
Meaning that in a lot of countries people, normal everyday people do have a duty to rescue if they don't endanger themselves.

I also know that Florida isn't mentioned but a whole lot of other states are and the general law on in the US.

If there's more to it and I'm wrong, why did the Police Chief himself say that there was no crime involved in not helping? Why were there no charges brought for failure to rescue/render aid?

Because it ain't illegal, that's why.

That's also why the only charge they can come up with is "failure to report a death."

I have done nothing wrong at all, only posted a relevant link. Please click it next time before telling me off.

I did click it. In the other thread that was closed down, which is how I came to the conclusion I did.
I also looked at the statute referenced in the footnotes to what you quoted.

I'm not telling you off, I'm correcting you.

ETA:

"We were asked to make a preliminary review of the video regarding any potential charges for failure to provide aid," the state attorney's office said. "Unfortunately, there is currently no statute in Florida law that compels an individual to render, request or seek aid for a person in distress. We are, however, continuing to research whether any other statute may apply to the facts of this case."
CNN
edit on 22-7-2017 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I would have no problem with the death penalty for these POS.

<< 1  2  3   >>

join