It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

13 Alabama counties saw 85 percent drop in food stamp participation

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010
It's about time some of these red state deadbeats get off their lazy asses and got a job.
McDonald's fried chicken places and Walmart may have to lower their requirements so the rest of you can get a job so there still is hope for the rest of you. Until then there's always meth and moonshine.

^^^^ (if only he knew) ^^^^

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: midnightstar

Maybe they should move. What are we communists? Something for nothing is nice, unless you are the one paying for it with yourtax dollars. I say let em starve and be homeless if they are able but unwilling to work.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   
now we have rember job skill is not a issue lol
man you have never been to a Government work center have you ?
me i have work most of my health life and a few times was on the skits ( could not find work Z)
the jod skills trainer your talking is a dude or women who stands tehre for a hour telling you how to fill out a application .
And points to the Mc Donald down the street never once in my 35 years working did i every get a job through one of them places . Not once did i every attend a job training cores they have that acutely train you for a job of even flipping buggers .
Again the enrollment in ebt has drooped 85 % because its IMPOSSIBLE for people to fill the requirements .
you people act liek people love being poor so much they would rather stay poor then have a good paying job .
So genius its all them hu go find the poorest person who is still tring but barly scraping by offer them a job at 15 $ a hour even doing hard labor PROVE its a real job ( they will believe your lieing ) and see how many turn it down.
Most have given up have no hope no matter how hard they try they will every be more then what they are thanks to people like you .
Its not like you havent said how worthless they are ten thousand times mite as well be worthless and get what you can because people like you will always be there to hold them down .
I said its DROPED BECAUSE IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO FILL THE REQUIREMENTS . Not because tehy found work or dont wnat a chance at a better life .
And there is no program's that acutely change this no job trainer just another Government spending program spend the money to get more .
there are No 45 million community service jobs to work the required 20 hours tehre are no 45 million OPEN jobs Not even 200 k in the last month let along last ten years .
Your full of it and scared because you know sooner or later they will tire of being held down .
Better hope like heck they stay home and starve

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

originally posted by: buster2010
It's about time some of these red state deadbeats get off their lazy asses and got a job.
McDonald's fried chicken places and Walmart may have to lower their requirements so the rest of you can get a job so there still is hope for the rest of you. Until then there's always meth and moonshine.

^^^^ (if only he knew) ^^^^

These leftists of ours are so typically racist...

They mock "poor" red states for their welfare use, but ignore the fact that these states have vastly disproportionate black, Hispanic, and American Indian populations -- groups that receive a significantly higher slice of the welfare pie. These 3 minority groups receive over 85% of the welfare.

U.S. Census: Demographics of Welfare

The problem is, the red-state-welfare claim is a lie. It refers to FEDERAL aid, not necessarily what would be considered individual welfare to citizens (and illegals of course).

The fact is, the Big Three blue states all have a greater number of people on welfare than are working -- beyond bankrupt California is #1 on that list. Obama "birth place" (lol) Hawaii is #3, Obama "home state" Illinois is #7, and the state Bill Clinton's wife represented as U.S. Senator -- New York, is #10.

States with Higher Welfare Recipients than Employed Population

The leftists always refer to FEDERAL assistance to states as an indication of welfare distribution, but never talk about what an individual state spends from taxes collected there.

That's why I rarely listen to these leftist thieves. Obviously, the majority of Americans are with me at this point...

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Food stamps drive me crazy. I'm a cashier at a gas station that accepts food stamps. 95% of the people that come in to use their FS card are able bodies 20-30 yr old's. The men that use the cards work under the table for the most part. (I know these people I live in a small community so I am not just guessing or making assumptions.) A very large majority of the women that come in to make purchases have 3 or more children that they are no longer the rightful guardian of, ie. the children stay with the grand parents who collect too much social security to receive food stamps, but the mothers are still able to draw benefits and then turn around and sell their FS cards 2:1. As far as I know Tennessee does not have this new system in place where people should try to obtain employment. I also wish that the reports of FS fraud were actually dealt with and not ignored. The system is honestly being abused, just ask any cashier at any store, they will tell you the very same story I have.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

We get it... you only like people who look like you, think like you, act like you, etc.

Don't worry; we evolved past the blatantly racist and intolerant attitudes. You will too... someday... I hope... maybe...

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 07:15 PM
link   
OK, now that the racists have been properly chastised...

Back before food stamps got so popular, there was a program here. The state would provide this huge box of food to you once a month. All you had to do was show that you were performing a community service (volunteer work, caring for the elderly or sick, even caring for a relative) and made below a certain amount. No gas required; they delivered to your door once a month. Most of the food was donated; the grocery stores and farmers markets got some good advertising for contributing.

I wish they would bring that back...

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: midnightstar

EVERYBODY should be doing some type of volunteer work, regardless whether or not they receive public assistance.

If people don't want to pick up trash on the side of the road, they can go volunteer at a nursing home to read to people who can't, or help feed people who can't feed themselves, or a myriad of other things.

It really shows the true heart of people when they won't even go volunteer in exchange for food they claim they need to survive.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 08:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
13 Alabama counties saw 85 percent drop in food stamp participation after work requirements restarted

Article says it all.

Some Counties in Alabama have re-instated a "work requirement" in their Food Stamp programs.

All of a sudden since January, they saw a miracle big drop in "participation" !!

I wonder how "work requirement" policies work in other places ?

Thirteen previously exempted Alabama counties saw an 85 percent drop in food stamp participation after work requirements were put in place on Jan. 1, according to the Alabama Department of Human Resources.

The counties - Greene, Hale, Perry, Dallas, Lowndes, Wilcox, Monroe, Conecuh, Clarke, Washington, Choctaw, Sumter and Barbour - had been exempt from a change that limited able-bodied adults without dependents to three months of Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program benefits within a three-year time frame unless they were working or participating in an approved training program.

During the economic downturn of 2011-2013, several states - including Alabama - waived the SNAP work requirements in response to high unemployment. It was reinstituted for 54 counties on Jan. 1, 2016 and for the remaining 13 on Jan. 1, 2017. As of April 2017, the highest jobless rate among the 13 previously excluded counties was in Wilcox County, which reported a state-high unemployment rate of 11.7 percent, down more than 11 percentage points from the county's jobless rate for the same month of 2011.

snap crackle pop as they say

Does your byline portray an accurate picture?

It also says this:

As of Jan. 1, 2017, there were 13,663 able-bodied adults without dependents receiving food stamps statewide. That number dropped to 7,483 by May 1, 2017. Among the 13 counties, there were 5,538 adults ages 18-50 without dependents receiving food stamps as of Jan. 1, 2017. That number dropped to 831 - a decline of about 85 percent - by May 1, 2017.

And this:

Statewide, the number of able-bodied adults receiving food stamps has fallen by almost 35,000 people since Jan. 1, 2016.

Statewide, it fell from ~35,000 to 13,663. from Jan 2016 to Jan 2017 - a decline of more than 60% over a year.

From Jan 2017 to May 2017, it fell further to 7,483 statewide - a decline 45% further, for a total of almost 80% since Jan 2016.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of jobs in the area - and it used to be worse:

As of April 2017, the highest jobless rate among the 13 previously excluded counties was in Wilcox County, which reported a state-high unemployment rate of 11.7 percent, down more than 11 percentage points from the county's jobless rate for the same month of 2011.

I wonder how much it costs them...

Each recipient receives about $126 a month in benefits.

So, about $1500 a year per person; I don't know how anyone can live on that.

The total ~35,000 would be $52,920,000 over a year - Alabama's total 18-49 population is approximately 1,060,502, so that's 3.3% of that demographic.

It looks like that fell over the last year and a half by $41,605,704, but the reduction in unemployment rate by a massive 11% from more than 22% suggests that the real culprit is that people actually were able to HAVE jobs now.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Greven
The 2018 campaigning has started. Time to distract and find blame. It always starts with the poor then abortion. Dog whistles to bring Christians and white people to heel.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 08:25 PM
link   
CocaCola and FritoLay will have the final say in this deal.

www.breitbart.com...

It never been about feeding the poor.
It all corporate sales.

Take nothing at face value.

Three companies – J.P. Morgan EFS, Affiliated Computer Services, and eFunds – provide EBT services for 49 states and 3 US territories,” an investigation by the Government Accountability Institute (GAI) found. “Since 2004, 18 of 24 states who contract with J.P. Morgan to provide welfare benefits have contracted to pay $560,492,596.02,” the GAI investigation revealed. “New York alone has a seven-year contract worth $126,394,917.”

Buck
edit on 6-6-2017 by flatbush71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

We had something like that here, as well. ...and the govt. cheese, milk, and various other commodities depending upon availability.

Very, very handy when things got a little tight. I loved the cheese for some reason. It was powdery, and didn't slice well at all, but it sure made great grilled cheese sandwiches.

This sort of program, rather than food stamps, would cut down on the fraud that sometimes seems endemic to the FS programs.

There's nothing wrong with needing help occasionally. Been there, done that. But I know of people who live their lives around the monthly stipend, when they're perfectly capable of working.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 10:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
a reply to: Greven
The 2018 campaigning has started. Time to distract and find blame. It always starts with the poor then abortion. Dog whistles to bring Christians and white people to heel.

Trigger Time !!

Broken Hearts !!

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 01:04 AM
link   
a reply to: NerdGoddess

There are some people who are disabled or retired and use food stamps to help supplement their income. There are also students who use food stamps to help them survive while they go to school, although they would still be eligible if they had a job.

There might be some people who are between jobs and using food stamps to survive while they look for work. This is why the requirement was waived for a while because there weren't enough jobs for people to be employed. In short, if there aren't enough jobs, some people are going to end up being unemployed and they should still be covered by food stamps.

As long as these issues are covered, there shouldn't be a problem.

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 01:11 AM
link   
I think people should be able to get food staples, like rations, for free. Govt should have outlet style stores that normal people would not want to visit for cheap staples like bread, sugar, govt cheese, fruit, veggies and other cheap staples.

The problem lies in the idea that needy people should get the same food supplies as everyone else who pay for it. There's lots of waste with small portions and excess packaging....it's really a gift to the food companies.

Have you ever seen the people pushing overfilled carts at the store, with $200 worth of junk food? I can't buy anything I want at the grocery store, I'm vegetarian which is a lil more expensive.

No no, less people getting food help is a bad thing, but the same or less money could buy plenty of basic food, more for everyone!

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 06:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
The article is pretty clear why the drop happened.

Yes, 85% of them did not actually need it but were still taking it.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 06:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3It always starts with the poor

What does gaming the system when you are not poor have to do with the poor?

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 06:42 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

That is your personal opinion, not the facts as reported.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 06:50 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Nothing for dishonest men.
It's a character choice.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join