It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republican Senator Tim Scott Says He’s Been Pulled Over 7 Times By Police In 1 Year

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: cuckooold
a reply to: everyone

Are you suggesting he's in the wrong neighbourhood?

What is the right neighbourhood for this person?

NO.

Only saying it doesn't only happen to those of dark skin.

Does it happen much more to people of Dark Skin? And with often different outcomes?

It is easy to dismiss an argument one it has been reduced to absolutes.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 02:28 PM
link   
DP
edit on 14-7-2016 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigo5

originally posted by: cuckooold
a reply to: everyone

Are you suggesting he's in the wrong neighbourhood?

What is the right neighbourhood for this person?

Do we ever hear of this kind of thing happening to Asian people? Why is that?

Maybe because they are only 4% of the US population vs. 14% for African American?

Or maybe we just got it out of system when we collected them in concentration camps during WW2?

Asians do complain about being discriminated against...mostly in media, Tv, Movies etc as being under-represented.

And for at least a half a century we were pretty hard on Asians..

Maybe let me know what your point is and I can answer the question better?

Don't take me wrong. My mom specifically raised us to accept all people. She said racism did not belong in our generation.

Like my daughter, she was dating a Jewish boy who was all concerned her mama wouldn't accept him. To which my daughter replied: "If I showed up at the front door with a purple haired 300 lb Samoan dyke lesbian - - - my mom would say 'Are You Happy?'" (She had Samoan friends. There's no slight meant there).

It's a tough subject of discussion, because its not really discussed IMO. It's "either / or". But, its not.

In my view, its more about a CULTURE (not skin color).

But, I don't really feel like getting into it. I'm bowing out of thread.

edit on 14-7-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Gonna go out on a limb here but could the senator just be a bad driver?
I have never been followed or pulled over by a cop unless I broke the law in some way or was driving like an idiot. My windows are illegally tinted so my skin color never plays a factor. My driving skills do!

Police don't just choose one car out of hundreds and say I'm gonna make this persons day a nightmare. You have been targeted because you present a danger to others on the road. People rarely admit to their bad driving skills and I suspect that is what's at play here.

Every time you get behind the wheel you should remind yourself that you are now operating a dangerous machine. The complacency of some people behind the wheel is amazing to me.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: nobunaga

i have an idea for hiring of cops! elected officers

In parts of Pennsylvania they still elect local constables that provide services for specific areas. It is a hold over from colonial days, when you would elect a neighbor to do police work. If there was trouble in your area, you ran and got the constable. He could then go door to door getting others to help out, depending on the situation.

I lived in REDACTED, PA (across the river from Trenton) for several years and we had an elected constable who lived a block over. He was a party hack who would drink coffee at the 7-11 all day and serve a few papers when he wasn't too drunk or hung-over. One day he was at home and heard a high speed chase on his police radio was coming his way. He went out in the street, and tried to stop the perp. Perp drove by. He then shot several times at the fleeing car. Did I mention that this was in a school zone, and that the kids were in the school, and that some of his bullets hit the school? Oh, and the perp got away.

The constable got re-elected, and as far as I know is still there.
edit on 14-7-2016 by olbe66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I have no doubt this happens. It's not right from an humane perspective. Profiling is also a part of the job for cops. You pay more attention to the subset of a community which statistically and historically poses a greater threat. Has happened to me plenty times to as a white man.

Between the ages of about 17-21, I got tailed and pulled over over a dozen times as on my way home late at night I'd have my music bumping with my hat backwards. The knew my car. They'd sit as this gas station near my house and pull out and tail me and follow me all the way home. A few times running red lights to do so. Reasons I've been given? Driving too slow. Looking for drunk drivers. Not signaling a full 300 ft before turning. I've been searched, cuffed, thrown in their car, etc, yet never charged with even a moving violation.

At one point I decided any time a cop tails me at night, I'd just pull over and pretend I'm getting something out of my trunk. They questioned me a couple times when I did that but then stopped pulling me over as it was at the time, the only way I knew how to use their game against them. Don't allow them to tail me. Pull over, screw around in my trunk, if they waited, just call a friend. They'd ultimately go on their way as they realized it was ridiculous sitting their watching me "looking for a sweatshirt" in my trunk.

To me this isn't so much a racial issue as it is a policy issue. If you want proactive policing, this is what you'll get.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   

I've had cops follow me leaving a place of business.

I've had cops tail gating me for no apparent reason.

I've had cops stop me to ask me questions.

I'm white in a predominately white neighborhood.

Hasn't everyone had these experiences?

The only difference is I was not stopped or pulled over.

The only difference is the main theme here Annee. Sen. Scott has been PULLED OVER. Oh, btw, did all your claims happen within one year's time? Did you sell your 'nice' car simply to prevent being pulled over?

It's obvious there is racism and racial profiling.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Probably because he's black. He should change his skin colour..

What?

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle

originally posted by: everyone
a reply to: Indigo5

White people in expensive cars in the wrong neighbourhood get stopped all the time as well.
You just dont see them on TV and newspapers claiming racism over it all the time.

I was stopped at a border crossing for driving a very expensive red convertible because I had long hair and an eye patch. I was going to a meeting with the senator in charge of defense who was in new England at the time.

What kind of a big shot are you?
I know, I know.. Is your name Snake Plissken by any chance?

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: StoutBroux

I've had cops follow me leaving a place of business.

I've had cops tail gating me for no apparent reason.

I've had cops stop me to ask me questions.

I'm white in a predominately white neighborhood.

Hasn't everyone had these experiences?

The only difference is I was not stopped or pulled over.

The only difference is the main theme here Annee. Sen. Scott has been PULLED OVER. Oh, btw, did all your claims happen within one year's time? Did you sell your 'nice' car simply to prevent being pulled over?

It's obvious there is racism and racial profiling.

I'm not claiming profiling doesn't happen. Of course it happens. For one thing its human/animal nature.

Ever watch sheep being sheared? The non sheared sheep reject the sheared sheep.

In fact - - I'm claiming profiling does happen. If you're white in a black neighborhood, you're gonna get profiled.

My step-father who was a millionaire was thrown out of his own bank once because of how he was dressed.

If you look "gansta" in an uptown neighborhood, you're gonna get profiled.

But, Hey!

"You being profiled is bigger then me being profiled".

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 06:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheLaughingGod

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle

originally posted by: everyone
a reply to: Indigo5

White people in expensive cars in the wrong neighbourhood get stopped all the time as well.
You just dont see them on TV and newspapers claiming racism over it all the time.

I was stopped at a border crossing for driving a very expensive red convertible because I had long hair and an eye patch. I was going to a meeting with the senator in charge of defense who was in new England at the time.

What kind of a big shot are you?
I know, I know.. Is your name Snake Plissken by any chance?

Nope, just a guy. I have a rather unusual and diversified history with military R&D, here and overseas as well as CI overseas. When I got stopped, I was on my way to an investment meeting for a company where I was the director in charge of particle physics research. We all have a past and I've dealt with all manner of people.

It's funny you put that pic up. I talked to Peter Fonda (escape from LA) for about an hour and a half one day when I dyslexically put in the wrong fax number, sending about 50 pages of technical documentation to his company, Pando Corp. Lol. He's a good guy, I especially like the story about trying to buy the new Hampshire logo. In addition, Kurt Russell's cottage is about an hour from me, never met him though.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

Seems you've lived an exciting life, kind of jealous over here. Well, live it up!

Why the eye patch though, just temporary or the result of some kind of accident? Sorry to hear if that's the case, bet you get all the chicks though.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Seems you've lived an exciting life, kind of jealous over here. Well, live it up!

Why the eye patch though, just temporary or the result of some kind of accident? Sorry to hear if that's the case, bet you get all the chicks though.

I've been married for so long, I only remember that she's number 148, the black book is long gone lol. The eye patch, I have a cyclic form of uveitis that is triggered by a combination of other auto-immune disease and/or Reiters syndrome and/or food allergies. So I've been blind 26 times for 3 weeks to 3 months at a time. Metabolizing certain foods causes a change in the p238 protein in my eyes which results in my immune system attacking my corneas and iris'. Not fun and very painful, the ocular pressure is incredibly high. I know a lot about uveitis, I studied myself with the help of one of the best eye doctors in the world, Kritzinger.

The eye issue does make it weird for some associates when I shoot, because the damage is greater in the right eye, I am right handed, but now left eye dominant. The damage also causes scar tissue in the folds of the iris which limits my night vision, my f-stop adjuster is pooched. It isn't a pleasant, autoimmune disease, but it could be worse. I feel worse though for the guys and gals coming back from hot zones broken and still fighting.

I do miss my past at times, but even meckanics get old....

Cheers - Dave
edit on 7/14.2016 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 09:24 PM
link   

I was struggling to understand what you meant at first but I understand now you must have been quite a player back in the days. Salute old man! I thought maybe you forgot your wife's name and started calling her a number.. haha, yeah that would never happen.

Sounds complicated and pretty crappy, at least it's not a constant pain in the ass though.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Pulled over 7 times in a year and nothing to show for it? Most people would have several tickets because normal people don't get 7 warnings in a row. Sounds like this guy is quite privileged (oh wait, yes he is.. he's a Senator)

As a white person who has actually experienced police harassment, seen it happen to others, and have had police plant contraband on my property in order to coerce information from myself and others.. have had cops spent up to 1.5 hours in the middle of the night with K9 units searching my car to find nothing because I was driving in the wrong neighborhood, in the wrong type of car, at the wrong time... I would like to formally call this guy out for BS.

I also used to work a night shift at one point within walking distance of my home. Easy decision to walk every day. Stopped by police on average once a month, sometimes several times per month, on my way home. I'm white doing nothing suspicious but walking to/from work using public sidewalks meant for walking on.

I could call this harassment. I could call it a lot of things if I used a liberal dictionary.

Most of these cry babies have no idea what police harassment is. Maybe this senator needs to learn how to drive.
edit on 14-7-2016 by VivreLibre because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 11:11 PM
link   

I was struggling to understand what you meant at first but I understand now you must have been quite a player back in the days. Salute old man! I thought maybe you forgot your wife's name and started calling her a number.. haha, yeah that would never happen.

Sounds complicated and pretty crappy, at least it's not a constant pain in the ass though.

Constant pain in the ass, we have justard trudashian for that. You have clobama, something like brundle-fly lol.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 02:32 AM
link   

But, Hey!

like that republican senator huh, hes so gangster-like.

you get profiled because youre black. period.
edit on 15-7-2016 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 02:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

But, Hey!

like that republican senator huh, hes so gangster-like.

you get profiled because youre black. period.

People get profiled.

We only know about it if they say something.

I think most people just accept it as a part of the system and go about their life.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join