It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Don't Black People Protest 'Black-on-Black Violence'?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+20 more 
posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 03:42 PM
link   
They do. Why is it ignored by the media and our politicians and pretty much everyone??? We see so much about anti-police brutality protests -- not anti-police protests -- but this? Crickets.

So when I found this article about some of the work being done within the Black communities and inner cities to combat Black-on-Black violence, and because so many on ATS seem to be completely and totally unaware of these efforts, it seemed appropriate -- perhaps even necessary -- to share.

Why Don't Black People Protest 'Black-on-Black Violence'?

HARLEM -- New York public leaders, community organizations and residents gathered Sunday to celebrate the 42nd annual African American Day Parade in Harlem. One focal point of the march was to attenuate the looming violence in neighboring and citywide communities.

This was the 10th annual rally Loaf and Cynthia Thomas have sponsored and hosted every September 11 in response to the attack on America and the senseless acts of violence that occur in the Hill District and other "hoods" in the city of Pittsburgh and throughout the country.

Last fall, Parishioners on Patrol organized a Stop the Violence rally and march that attracted 150 people, a response to 22 shootings in Saginaw resulting in three deaths.

There are many, many more examples at the link.

I shared the good news first, but I think the most important (and telling) point was actually made earlier in the article:

Juan Williams offers a meme that we are seeing repeated in response to the widespread protests around Trayvon Martin:

"But what about all the other young black murder victims? Nationally, nearly half of all murder victims are black. And the overwhelming majority of those black people are killed by other black people. Where is the march for them?"

This is an interesting question. It's also one that Juan Williams, who's been writing about race for almost three decades, should be able to answer. Moreover, Williams is an award-winning journalist. Should he not know the answer, it would suit him to do his job and find out."

Of course Mr. Williams knows better. What we need to ask ourselves is why he would say such a thing when he does know better... and why isn't he telling us better and reporting on these events and promoting and encouraging these events?
-------------------------

The link above is from 2012. Here are some more recent articles:

There's some great background information and statistical context here: Actually, Blacks Do Care About Black Crime

First, a little context: In the last 20 years, we’ve seen a sharp drop in homicide among blacks, from a victimization rate of 39.4 homicides per 100,000 in 1991 to a rate of roughly 20 homicides per 100,000 in 2008. Likewise, the offending rate for blacks has dropped from 51.1 offenders per 100,000 in 1991 to 24.7 offenders per 100,000 in 2008. This decrease has continued through the 2010s and is part of a larger—and largely unexplained—national drop in crime.
----------------------------

The big lie: African-Americans don't care about black-on-black crime

Did you hear about the men of Alpha Phi Alpha, the nation's oldest black Greek-letter fraternity, marching down 79th Street last month to protest shootings in Chatham? How about the army of mothers in Englewood who gather at the scene of every shooting and patrol the streets of their neighborhood on foot? And what about the annual peace march in Grand Crossing that draws hundreds of South Siders onto the streets at the start of the school year?
-------------------------------

For perspective, this article talks about groups working in non-public and non-media attracting ways and their different approach: The Movement Against Police Violence Isn’t Ignoring ‘Black-on-Black Crime’

Black Lives Matter activists are concerned about intra-racial violence. But they don’t see police and prisons as the solution.
----------------------------------

A Better L.A.

ABLA’s gang prevention and intervention strategy focuses on working from the “inside-out” - that is, working within a community to effect change, rather than from the “outside-in.” This approach capitalizes on the power of long-term relationships, a shared identity, and trust. It also enables ABLA’s partners to connect with their community members in ways that others cannot. Many of ABLA’s outreach workers are drawn to this work, because they feel compelled to right the wrongs committed by them or the gangs they were previously affiliated with. By setting a positive example for the next generation, they are able to use their experiences to save and transform lives.

This confirmed what I suspected, that it's a relative few that commit the majority of violence:

In Los Angeles, gang homicides account for the majority of homicides among 15 to 24-year-olds - 61 and 69 percent, respectively - and are the second leading cause of death among people aged 15 to 24.

Much like studies and analyses have shown that it's just a relative few police officers that commit the majority of police brutality charges.
------------------------------

Inner City Visions

Inner City Visions is a 501(c)(3) Non-profit organization dedicated to gang violence reduction and youth development in Florence-Firestone since 2007. Inner City Visions is a funded partner of A BETTER LA, founded by Seattle Sea Hawks NFL head football coach Pete Carroll. ABLA unites local leaders from the private, non-profit, social service, faith-based, education and law enforcement sectors.
--------------------------------

The Newark Anti-Violence Coalition

A diverse collective of activists, community leaders and residents who are on the move to politicize and awaken the consciousness of Newark, one community, one home and one mind at a time. Rally with us every Wednesday to end the violence.
---------------------------------

These are just a handful of the many many people fighting the good fighting in their own communities. God love 'em and bless 'em -- each and every one. "Blessed are the peacemakers."

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Hmmm.... When I first saw the title posted, it hit me that it appears the post is about the opposite of what it is. I don't know if that's good or bad. Maybe it will attract more attention from those who need to see it most? As opposed to them just scrolling down? I don't know.

But my apologies if it's misleading

I just used the title of the article I originally found which inspired the most. Unfortunately, I didn't think beyond that.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Why don't you find a BLM group marching .....cull someone out of that crowd & ask them the same question. Check back in and let us know how it went & what the answer was.
edit on 13-7-2016 by openyourmind1262 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 04:03 PM
link   
What exactly are they doing? It only gets worse and worse every year not better. And then of course there is the media attention. Black people are in much more Danger from other black people then they are cops. It's not even close.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: openyourmind1262

you didn't read the op because if you did you would see that black people in fact do protest black on black violence, it's a shame the media does not talk more about this. most people i know bring that subject up when discussing recent events myself included, now after reading this op i see things differently and will remind people of it when discussing current events.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: TheBulk

Did you not read the OP's links? It IS getting better.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   
These are the heros doing good work.

Wheres that chick in the dress? She needs to pose for another in front of black gangs, or anywhere in the Chicago projects.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: openyourmind1262
Why don't you find a BLM group marching .....cull someone out of that crowd & ask them the same question. Check back in and let us know how it went & what the answer was.

I assume you're speaking to the question in the title of the OP and the source article... I'm not interested in BLM. Since you are, why don't you?

It doesn't serve any purpose I have nor the subject of the article. The ones calling the shots in the BLM org are serving their masters -- the feds and worse -- not the people. Why would I give them any attention in an OP about people doing awesome things?

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Lawyers and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$ And Lawyers

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: conspiracy nut
a reply to: openyourmind1262

most people i know bring that subject up when discussing recent events myself included, now after reading this op i see things differently and will remind people of it when discussing current events.

Thank you!!! That warms my heart to read -- and I'm glad I didn't doom this thread with the poor choice of title!

link   
i read the headline and was going to come on here and vent my frustration at how the black community does not protest black on black violence but after reading this op it makes me wonder how i can somehow help, i didn't grow up in the hood, i grew up in a nice neighborhood in the burbs but i would like to share some empathy with the black community. i feel we should all show solidarity w each other instead of pointing fingers and going at each others throats blaming this group and that group for our nation and worlds problems.

link   
They do all the time. Our media just doesn't cover it.

Here's one from Chicago from May.

www.progressillinois.com...

Here's part of the article. But this happens all the time in Cities all across america every month, every year.

"...Thousands of anti-violence protesters rallied Saturday on Chicago's South Side to demonstrate as part of the sixth annual "Prayer on the 9" community initiative.

Protesters, who wore red, formed a two-mile prayer line along 79th Street and laid down on the street for a three-minute moment of silence for victims of violence.

Pastor John F. Hannah's Grand Crossing's New Life Covenant Church organized the rally. Participants from across the city attended the event, including 18-year-old Old Town resident Kyana Mallone. Her boyfriend was recently shot and killed in the city in a drive-by shooting.

"I really feel like Chicago is getting out of hand. It's just crazy and sad how every day somebody is getting shot and it's all over [Facebook] and it's just really sad," Mallone told DNAinfo Chicago...."

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Butterfinger
These are the heros doing good work.

Wheres that chick in the dress? She needs to pose for another in front of black gangs, or anywhere in the Chicago projects.

She was beautiful in every way and on every level. If I knew how to post pics, I would! Maybe someone else will read your comment and oblige... or just because they find it appropriate as well.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

The problem isn't the lack of protesting black on black crime. The problem is groups like "Black Lives Matter" not protesting black on black crime when their very name means that black lives matter to them.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

It's getting worse in the bad areas where it needs to get better.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: conspiracy nut

...after reading this op it makes me wonder how i can somehow help...

Maybe at the local Big Brothers? The Boys and Girls Clubs? You might have to do some checking around in your local area. That's all I've got...

Any other ideas folks???

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

But this happens all the time in Cities all across america every month, every year.

Nothing to add. This just bears repeating

Thanks for posting the link!

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 04:21 PM
link   
unfortunately a positive thread on blacks is not going to 'trend' or garner 8 pages of support.
if it was generalizing an entire race and demean them because of blm, your star and flag count would be zipping along a lot faster!

but there are so many outlets of coalition of minorities against violence. you just won't see them on man when they do good deeds or help decrease crime in their community.

but there are a lot I can think of on this site whom won't even bother to comment. good on for getting their attention and maybe it will reveal something about them.

I am BTW against blm as an organization, not what they are trying to expose.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU0408
a reply to: Boadicea

The problem isn't the lack of protesting black on black crime. The problem is groups like "Black Lives Matter" not protesting black on black crime when their very name means that black lives matter to them.

I disagree but here's why. I think, again it's our media showing us only what they want to show us. In this case they want to show us black lives matter protests for whatever reason. But you can't hold Black Lives Matter to the coals for not protest black on black crime, the very begginning of this movement was to protest how minorities where treated by the police. that's it.

It would be like getting upset because a baseball announcer doesn't talk about the football game. It's a whole different issue.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU0408

this^

quoted for truth (for once)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join