It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone here done many military models, tamiya for example?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 05:39 AM
link   
simple question.. hoping to find some resident experts who can assist in a texturing idea!

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 06:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Agit8dChop

I would add some sand or grit to your paint to simulate the non-skid.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 06:08 AM
link   
agreed with the sand or ???? added to, you may have to experiment with different powders that don't clump..on a test piece

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 06:22 AM
link   
spot on, thats what im trying to accomplish..
I also want to put a light grey wash on it

Now, I was thinking of buying some very fine sandpaper and giving the whole side a consistent rub down, some sections around the take-off area’s will be a little rougher.. but I’m talking about a very fine grit and a very light rub.

Then going over it wish a light grey wash, to lighten it all up a tad.

2 hobby shops have given me different suggestions, one recommended a spray that gave off an asphalt appear, the other said to use a light adhesive spray then place some very fine greyish looking.. rough/gritty powder type of substance

I’ll only get one shot at it so any idea’s are appreciated!

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 06:43 AM
link   

That's not a bad idea, they do have spray cans that put down really good texture these days. I made a pretty good hollow rock out of paper mache and chicken wire once. It took quite a few cans of textured spray paint. And that stuff isn't cheap.

Tape it up and spray it.
edit on 26-4-2016 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 07:10 AM
link   

I used to spend a lot of time creating diorama's using Tamiya models as the key components, long time ago now though. I have noticed something that may be of interest to you though........

www.tamiya.com...

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Agit8dChop I used to be a troubleshooter on a carrier, that being said, the flight deck is dark grey non-skid. In reality its not sand paper looking its actually applied with a mop and it looks like dried tar. There is excessive wear on the non skid along the catapult tracks and on the blast deflectors. Also, the ship is constantly being painted by BMs so its not really uniform in color. don't forget there is light rust around exhaust ports. for the safety nets that surround the flight deck, use safety wire.

edit on 26-4-2016 by AVtech34 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 07:58 AM
link   

a very thin cork sheet looks pretty good with when painted..

also for a sandy texture i use crushed vermiculite with some glue and paint..

Crackle model paints are sweet.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: uncommitted

why the hell when i did various google searches did something so self explanatory not appear?

thank you so much! that looks about right. Hopefully adding colors to darken/lighten wont wreck the texture.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 08:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Agit8dChop
a reply to: uncommitted

why the hell when i did various google searches did something so self explanatory not appear?

thank you so much! that looks about right. Hopefully adding colors to darken/lighten wont wreck the texture.

My pleasure. For what it's worth, when I was into creating the dioramas I used to go to a local retail outlet (the sadly gone Beatties in Nottingham for anyone local to me) which sold catalogues from Tamiya that used their products in dioramas. Was really useful for inspiration, if you manage to hunt any down I'm sure you will feel the same although they would have been produced in the '80's, no idea if they still do things the same these days.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Some modelers put a "Zimmerit" paint job on German WWII tanks, may be worth looking for that info

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 11:19 PM
link   
If you're going to have a light sheen on the model overall, painting the deck dead flat would also simulate a texture to some degree. Wrinkle paint is another option, it can be sanded to the desired texture.

new topics

top topics

join