It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexico tortures migrants – and citizens – in effort to slow Central American surge

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Carolina Jiménez, deputy director of research for the Americas at Amnesty International, said: “We have documented a truly disturbing pattern of very serious human rights violations against migrants travelling through Mexico. But seeing immigration officials involved in torture against Mexican nationals to make them ‘confess’ they are migrants takes this disturbing situation to a whole more sinister level.”

Concern over the conduct of immigration agents is rising. Advocacy groups were dismayed when Ardelio Vargas, a highly controversial police figure, was named head of INM in January 2013. Vargas was in charge of federal forces when peasant protests in the town of San Salvador Atenco were violently repressed by police in 2006.

Alejandro Martínez, former head of Central American migrants’ issues at the INM, said Vargas runs the institute like a police force.

Guardian

Looks like all the profiling and human rights abuse that Mexico accuses the US of, are really being done by Mexico themselves against their illegal immigrants. Torture also. Against their own citizens even.

It seems Mexico's National Immigration Institute is operating like like a militarized police force. According to the article, they are profiling Mexican citizens and illegal immigrants based on "physical features, clothes, and appearance". If you fit the profile, they detain and torture you until you sign some documents saying you are Guatemalan or some other Central American migrant.

In my opinion, those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw rocks. Mexico should stop badmouthing the US about policies it has every right to enact, and focus on cleaning up their own mess. Ending their illegal immigration woes without abusing the human rights of their own citizens.
edit on 4/4/2016 by harvestdog because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: harvestdog

Carolina Jiménez, deputy director of research for the Americas at Amnesty International, said: “We have documented a truly disturbing pattern of very serious human rights violations against migrants travelling through Mexico. But seeing immigration officials involved in torture against Mexican nationals to make them ‘confess’ they are migrants takes this disturbing situation to a whole more sinister level.”

Concern over the conduct of immigration agents is rising. Advocacy groups were dismayed when Ardelio Vargas, a highly controversial police figure, was named head of INM in January 2013. Vargas was in charge of federal forces when peasant protests in the town of San Salvador Atenco were violently repressed by police in 2006.

Alejandro Martínez, former head of Central American migrants’ issues at the INM, said Vargas runs the institute like a police force.

Guardian

I personally have been thru said Mexican Immigration checkpoints countless times over the years and let me tell you what they do... they simply ask the suspect where they're from and their birthplace, they get them 99% of the time.
And they need to bribe them and adios muchachos.
Now the Mafia cartels/gangs do kidnap & torture them for ransom/money

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 06:20 PM
link   
So it seems Mexico is intent on ridding themselves of their illegal alien problem. Check out the US on the other hand.
Vehicular homicide not enough to detain illegal immigrants: DHS

ICE said it first encountered Mr. Mejia, who also goes by the first name Eswin, at the border in Arizona in May 2013. He was a 16-year-old at the time, and the Border Patrol, acting under President Obama’s interpretation of the law, admitted him and shipped him to social services, then eventually sent him to live with his brother here in the U.S. Ms. Saldana did not say whether the brother was in the U.S. legally. In January, police say, Mr. Mejia was street racing while drunk when he struck the vehicle driven by Sarah Root, 21. She died from her injuries, while he posted bond on the homicide charge, and ICE officers did not come pick him up for detention, allowing him to disappear into the shadows. Now ICE is scrambling to try to find him. Ms. Saldana said her agency has even asked Honduran officials to see if he shows up back there

Here in the good old US, an illegal alien kills a young lady while he is street racing drunk. The local county requested ICE to pick him up multiple times. The illegal posts bond and flees since ICE never showed up to detain him. Apparently this is not a serious enough crime to be deemed a priority.

“Even if he were convicted of the offense, motor vehicle homicide — driving under the influence, the conviction would not constitute a crime of violence under the immigration laws, and consequently, would not constitute an aggravated felony,” she wrote. “The conviction would not render him subject to mandatory detention, nor would it significantly impact his eligibility to apply for relief or protection from removal.”

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: harvestdog

Considering Mexico's immigration laws can be best described as draconian they have no room to talk. I am in favor of adopting mexicos immigration laws and using them on illegals coming from Mexico.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 07:11 PM
link   

I can tell you, they dont kill the ones who pay.

If you are not Mexican and are working there without ID....lord, you are sooo screwed.

I met a cab driver that got a fake US drivers license just to work, because if they caught him with an id from his country, he would probably go to jail for a LONG time before a sham court hearing.

They get tortured in mexican jails.

My brother in law is a pothead, like being a crack head in the US. He has a bad foot. Its mangled. He was picked up in a general round up in his ghetto by police. The cops saw his bum foot and took a blow torch to it while he was in jail to make him confess to a crime he didnt do.

He held out and was let go, bleeding and messed up.

Its freaking Mexico.

They kill people there for breaking the law. Worse sometimes.

Illegals there die and get cremated or tossed in private mass graves in some parts if they cant pay a bribe in cash or sex.

edit on 4 4 2016 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Mexico tortures migrants – and citizens – in effort to slow Central American surge

Mexico was never even a first world country!
Who is really surprised that they torture people... like Amerikkka does?

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 02:31 AM
link   
a reply to: namelesss

Wtf is Amerikkka

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 02:33 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

This oughta be good.

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 02:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
a reply to: onequestion

This oughta be good.

Oh I can only imagine what of nonsense I might read.

Probably good for a laugh.

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 03:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

Wtf is Amerikkka

Use your imagination.
Thank you for playing.

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 03:04 AM
link   

heh, expected.

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 03:50 AM
link   

heh, expected.

ATS has been infiltrated by the ignorant and uninformed.

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 04:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

heh, expected.

ATS has been infiltrated by the ignorant and uninformed.

Excuse me, dear, but it was YOU who lack the intellect to understand what "Amerikkka" means.
It's not rocket science.

"We don't see the world as it is, we see it as we are!"

But if these drive-bys are all you have, I'd be loathe to advertise it! *__-

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 09:22 AM
link   

This thread is about Mexico and their human rights violations in trying to rid themselves of Southerners. And how they are hypocrites when they call out the US on our Immigration policies.

This crap about the US being Amerikkka is ridiculous. Good to know the Klan states of Amerikkka are led by a Black President and a Black Attorney General to prosecute those minorities us Klan states hate.
Does that really make sense to you?
How do you suggest Mexico can reign in their corrupt Government and rise to first world status?

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Well no big &%^#% surprise. A big part of the Mexican government has largely been controlled by the Cartels and aided by the CIA.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 09:13 PM
link   

How do you suggest Mexico can reign in their corrupt Government and rise to first world status?

That is two questions.
First, there are no, nor have there been, any 'first world government' that is not a seething cauldron of corruption.
Truly, power corrupts, and attracts the already corrupt.
I would rather see Mexico, AND Ameri"c"a (just for you! *__- ) be second world, and not corrupt.
Or third world...
I do not find it a necessary sign of 'civilization' to be greedy and selfish and imperialist and oligarchic and violent and toxically insane that they torture people!
Want to see Mexico change into a Paradise? Ameri"c"a, also?
Sit peacefully and do nothing over a sufficient period of time!
About two centuries...
The 'change' is of the Heart, first, and you cannot legislate that.
Until then, our Heart is on display in our insane toxic violence and ignorance!
Mexico learns from us that of which we might be embarrassed had we any Virtue!

top topics

join