It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Colossus of the South" - A Dinosaur Discovered in Argentina

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 09:41 AM
link   

So many thoughts when I read it and one question, why did they have to die? A magnificent creature, epic barbecues, incredible source of fertilizer, coolest pet ever......, oh man. This beauty was about 25-28 meters long, 40-60 tons, 9 to 13 elephants together.

Researchers in Mendoza have announced the discovery of fossils of a new dinosaur species thought to be among the largest known to science.

A team of Argentine and American researchers led by paleontologist Bernardo Gonzalez Riga, from the National University of Cuyo, published a report this week of their discovery of a new species of giant sauropod.

The new species, discovered in Malargüe, has been named Notocolossus gonzalezparejasi – the genus meaning “Colossus of the South”. The species will take the name of Jorge Gonzalez Parejas, a lawyer from Mendoza who is known for his significant contributions to paleontological heritage protection.

www.argentinaindependent.com...
www.nature.com...
elcomercio.pe...
edit on 23-1-2016 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

It's great how people always seem to be discovering huge, previously unknown dinosaur fossils. Love reading things like this. Thanks.

Edit-- I wonder if this big guy sported feathers?
edit on 23-1-2016 by MaryaNoxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

What's even more exciting is that we see a direct correlation between the size of herbivores and the size of carnivores in the same time-lines. The bigger the herbs get, the bigger the carnos get.

Now... I'm off to find a skyscraper sized carnivore. Wish me luck!

join