It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should Government publish info on schools allowed to discriminate against LGBT students?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 10:32 PM
link   

edit on thFri, 18 Dec 2015 22:33:54 -0600America/Chicago1220155480 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 10:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Freija

Discrimination is discrimination is discrimination. Abuse of rights is abuse of rights. Any abuse of rights is just as bad as any other abuse of rights, whether the rights are the same or not. And that is my point, which has clearly eluded you.

No, I don't need the government to provide me with a list of schools because I'm intelligent enough to deduce a college run by Catholic monks probably isn't going to be super welcoming to either of my sons if he's gay, bisexual, or realizes that he was supposed to be born a woman.

Keep your nanny state, thanks.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 11:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

MY nanny state? Aren't we all in this together? Wouldn't it be nice if we all got along and didn't take sides?

Here, have a cookie. Maybe we can be friends?

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 11:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freija

originally posted by: PresidentCamacho
I'd be more interested in whether the school is concerned with spending their resources education my children or catering to special interest groups.

Educating or indoctrinating them in the ways of prejudice and discrimination? Some people might think that is a little sad.

You are promoting PC behaviors. Colleges are designed to prep young adults how to deal with the real world. So you take that away and you simple delay the exposure of discrimination UNTIL they get into the real world. If you elevate rights for LGBT, they develop a sense of entitlement whereas they should only be given normal treatment in the education system. World is full of racist bigots, etc and that isn't going to change. I think every person harbors racism and bigoted views, and those views are generally learned from experience and not in the classroom.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Not only should they publish such, but also ban all federal funds to flow into those instutions, where such has to become private and ultimately unable to get paid on the public dime.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 12:01 AM
link   
YES. Do I need more then that?

Actually, any school receiving Government Funding should adhere to government anti-discrimination laws.

If religious schools want to be LGBT free - - - then they should not get government funding.

edit on 19-12-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 12:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
a reply to: Freija

Wouldn't you like to know if the university you or your children were planning to attend is going to legally discriminate against you for being LGBT?

No.

I am not gay so I don't care.

Neither am I.

But, a family member or friend might be.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 12:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: mapsurfer_
You are promoting PC behaviors.

What? You don't like cookies? If you would rather categorize and label my behavior as PC, as if being polite and tolerant of others is a bad thing, okay.

If you elevate rights for LGBT, they develop a sense of entitlement

Elevated rights? Entitlements? Huh?

they should only be given normal treatment in the education system.

I don't think they would really want anything else. I'm pretty sure of it, actually.

This thread isn't about LGBT rights or the rights of religious universities to obtain exemptions allowing discriminating policies against them that every other "normal" school has to follow. It is only to provide heightened awareness to help with making educational decisions.

Should this inadvertently turn the tide of public opinion against them or cause their enrollments to decline, I certainly won't be shedding any tears about it.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 07:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freija

originally posted by: Shamrock6

MY nanny state? Aren't we all in this together? Wouldn't it be nice if we all got along and didn't take sides?

Here, have a cookie. Maybe we can be friends?

Well it's not my idea so how can it be my nanny state? You came up with the notion, so it sorta eliminates me from being the owner of said idea.

We can get along just fine. Being human we'll disagree on something at some point, I'm sure. Cookies are delicious, though, and help soften the disagreements.

Better not be store bought though

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 08:54 PM
link   
UPDATE!

A response to the letter from a group of aligned senators to the Department of Education asking for more transparency by publishing a list of colleges and universities granted waivers to violate certain civil rights has officially been received.

The Department of Education has agreed that this list will be made easily accessible by the public and published online.

To read more plus the entire Department of Education's response:
List Of Schools Allowed To Discriminate Against LGBT Students Will Be Published Online

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join